Customer Discussions > Love You Forever forum

Welcome to the Love You Forever forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2005 10:43:00 AM PST
Be the first to start a new discussion in this forum. Share questions, insights, and views about your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2006 6:00:17 PM PST
Kate R. says:
Apparently this is one of those love it or hate it books... from the reviews there seems to be no middle ground. The artwork in it is quite good, even if some find the mom rocking her grown son to be creepy and gross instead of hilarious... as I think it was intended.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2006 4:13:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2006 4:13:52 PM PST
B. Loveless says:
I think anyone who has a problem with this book either has mother-in-law problems or a son who could never be good enough. Either way I think it is their problem. This is the first time I have ever read a bad review of this book.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2006 12:51:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 1, 2006 12:27:20 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2007 2:51:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2007 7:10:03 AM PDT
I think that's kind of a rude assumption. Lots of people love this book because they see it as a parable about a mother's unending love. About one fourth of the people who have reviewed the book, however, have been disturbed by the literal image of the woman "crawling across the floor" to get into bed with her grown son while he is sleeping. Making rude assumptions about their psychological state is uncalled for. They could just as easily suggest you were pro-incest for supporting what is, in their opinion, a disturbing image. I don't think anyone who loves this book is pro-incest, and I don't think anyone who is disturbed by it must have mother-in-law issues or a son "who could never be good enough," as you say. I think it's just two ways of seeing the same thing, and as we all know, different people tend to see the same thing in different ways. The author's meaning probably would have come across better if the mother didn't always have to "crawl across the floor" and if she didn't sneak up on her son when he was asleep. Why doesn't she hold him in her arms when he's awake? And why does she climb into his window when he's a grown man and asleep? Why not visit him when he needs her, and hold him then? It wouldn't seem so creepy to people, I think, and then his message would come across better. Also, it seems strange that he has to wait until his mother is an old, old woman at the end of his life before he is free to marry and have a family of his own. That seems like he has an unnatural bond to her. Most men don't wait until their mothers are 90 to start their own families. This probably also bothers readers on some subconscious level. I think the author's intention would come out more clearly if he avoided these potentially volatile psychological suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2010 4:25:45 PM PDT
Anne Elliot says:
You've just answered your own question about why so many people
and not just adults(!) are creeped out by this story.For a change of
pace imgaine how you would feel if it was a FATHER crawling on the
floor towards his DAUGHTER'S bed in the middle of the night. Or if he drove across
town and climbed into her bedroom? How would people feel about the book
then? :|
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Love You Forever forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2005
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Love You Forever
Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (Hardcover - November 2, 1989)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (2,372)