Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on March 20, 2010
If you really really want to get in deep with Photoshop, adding realistic lighting effects to photos, etc., then this book is perfect. When I purchased it, I was thinking it was more of and end to end coverage for cinematic photography with some Photoshop stuff on the tail end. The 'with Photoshop' made me feel that it covered in camera composition and then processing with Photoshop. Don't be confused like I was, and it's probably my own fault for not reading existing reviews too carefully. That said, I would buy this book again in a heartbeat. It is jam packed with sophisticated techniques that can really take your images to the next level. I highly recommend it.
on August 13, 2015
Took a course from Vincent. He is truly a master photographer, artist and teacher. Tons of great info here.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2007
If digital fine art photography is your passion then this book is a must for your library. It sets forth interesting and meaningful workflow(s) and insightful variations on well known techniques (even though there is a certain, and understandable amount of Photoshop rehash). My advice: read it more than once; work thru all the lessons and you will benefit without question.

My only lingering annoyance is the author's use of distractive, silly, inane, sudo-mystical image titles; "If I were a raindrop", "Sentinel of the Mist", "Hearing the Whisper of the Green Fairy". C'mon, Vincent. Your images have the power to speak for themselves. No need to tell folks how to respond to them. That comes all by itself.

King Dexter

Colorado
33 comments13 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2008
this purchase was done on behalf of a friend of mine and from what i was told, he is totally satisfied with the book. recommended.
on July 22, 2007
This book is aimed at photographers who have never worked in a darkroom before. If you have started working as a photographer in digital, there is a lot to be learned from this book. However, if you know how to dodge and burn, and you know how to do it in Photoshop using layers, you will find nothing new here.
0Comment4 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 14, 2008
Stunning photography and continuing inspiration from a master of photography. I highly recommend Vincent's book.
on November 23, 2007
Although his final process images are beautiful, the process he is trying to convey I don't seem to follow or able to understand his objective. This could be me. Another disappointment is the title of the book "Cinematic" which I was hoping to learn how cinematographers create these wonderful effect using light and post production processing.
0Comment5 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2007
Just received this book as an X-mas present from my mom. I eagerly dove into the first chapter which begins with a somewhat blah photo of a model. After correcting for color casting, she is looking like a pretty hot and fiery redhead, but by the time Vincent is done with her digital makeover, she looks like she's in liver failure in need of a transplant. As noted by other reviewers, the book requires third party plug-ins which are heavily used throughout the book. Some of the PS instructions are poorly written which leaves you hanging in the middle of a tutorial. You cannot argue the fact that many of his insert photos are great, but as a tutorial, it leaves a lot to be desired. I am disappointed that his "Kismet" image of the Golden Gate Bridge (and apparently most of his work) is merely a composite of several images. I had seen this image previously and had assumed it was a "special capture moment". Should I go out and photograph a rainbow, a lightening bolt, and a clown and see if I can combine them into an interesting image? I guess this is where we are going with digital imaging... take a hundred free photos and get one good composite out of them. Save your money and buy a subscription to Lenswork instead.
11 comment8 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2007
I like this non text book style, contemporary and philosophical in thought. The book is filled with beautiful photoshoped images. Unfortunately there are quite a few image typeset problems the before and after images reversed and the colour cast removed image looks worse than the before image, this can be annoying until you realise they are publishing problems. This is very surprising and unfortunate for this high quality book.
on March 1, 2009
Did anyone proof-read this book? Does the editor care? It has misspellings, interface mistakes, (i.e. move left when he means right), inadequate descriptions,(way too many "what's he want us to do here?" moments). And descriptions about zen and life that don't mix with his less than complete technical instructions. Very frustrating. I gave up on chapter 2.
Maybe the great 'V' is a good photographer but he is a terrible writer, sorry.
11 comment2 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse