Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > The Shadow of the Wind forum

Welcome to the Shadow of the Wind forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2005 7:30:03 AM PST
Be the first to start a discussion below! Ask questions, share insights, and express your views on your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2006 6:01:40 AM PST
It would be great if the author would let us know when his next novel? will be out, so we can happily anticipate it. Shadow of the Wind is now one of my few favorite fiction books - it had everything, especially "heart"!

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2006 8:44:17 AM PDT
Jane says:
I couldn't agree more!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2006 6:52:08 PM PDT
I just can't figure out what all the hoopla is about this book. A TV movie would be better, strange as that may sound. The book is too long, has too many characters and subplots, and the writing is too loose. (See my review.) It held my interest, sort of, but that doesn't make it great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2006 2:05:38 PM PST
Peedie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2007 5:04:12 PM PST
D. Robinson says:
I suppose it makes sense what Edward and Peedie are saying, but I feel there needs to be some down time to allow the reader to get over the climaxes they come across throughout the book. I loved taking the time to get to know each character, and comparing each interviewee's description of the story as they knew it. Then the book would pick up again, and I would again need some down time. I rather enjoyed those ebbs and waves that Zafon provided. And quite frankly, I didn't want the book to end, so I was happy to read more!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2007 10:33:41 PM PDT
While I had a little trouble with the letter sequence-And yes the melodrama gets a little thick,I thought this one of the best novels I've ever read. As for "bogged down", thank God Zafon had the courage to take some time to tell his story and recreate the world of fascist Barcelona. The imagery of the Cemetery of Forgotten Books alone makes the book a worthy read. I think some negative reviewers are reporting symptoms of too much fast-paced TV viewing;we want it over in 20 minutes or we get bored. While I agree "Shadow" isn't quite in the same class, I fear "Middlemarch", "Ulysses", and "Great Expections" would suffer the same disapproval if offered today from an unknown writer. "Too long, too complex, too many characters to follow."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2008 7:10:29 AM PDT
Jess says:
I believe this is the first of his novels to be translated into English. I have been unable to find any information on prospective release dates for the others, but they are available in Spanish, if you have your dictionary handy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2008 7:45:09 AM PDT
A prequel to The Shadow of the Wind, called The Angel's Game, is due out sometime next year.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2008 12:25:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2008 12:29:21 PM PDT
You may like the movie directed by Roman Polanski, which is based on Shadow of the Wind. The cast includes Johnny Depp and Frank Langella. It is mysterious, but I feel, it is not quite as intriguing as the book. You may react differently, because you did not like the book that much. I thought the movie way too strange and much more violent in parts, especially near the end. I enjoyed "reading between the lines" of the books, rather than being shown all visually, as in the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2008 7:20:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 28, 2008 7:27:37 PM PDT
Karen, you are confusing The Shadow of the Wind with the novel The Club Dumas, which was written by Arturo Perez-Reverte. The movie you have in mind is The Ninth Gate, but it was based on The Club Dumas.

Posted on Mar 26, 2009 1:12:02 PM PDT
monalisabw says:
The next book, The Angel's Game is due out in July. Check this site for a trailer of photos of old Barcelona.

Posted on Jun 27, 2009 9:31:06 AM PDT
To me this book is wonderful...The Angel's Game is good, but doesn't even come close to how much I liked Shadow of the wind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2009 8:17:06 PM PDT
Robert, you are correct in your statement. I got the same feeling that most people today want it right away....hurry up. They just have no ability to wade into a story of such depth. It is their loss. Maybe a graphic novel would be more suitable for their taste.

Posted on Dec 23, 2009 7:48:27 AM PST
Bibo says:
i bought the book 3 days ago but did not read it yet... it was #1 best seller for 2 weeks in our virgin megastore... i'll share all my thought when i read it :>

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2010 3:07:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2010 3:12:14 PM PDT
You have got to be kidding. How old are you? Hey! You simply bit off more than you could appreciate. Be patient. You'll get there. Just give yourself plenty of time. Start with Sports Afield or Seventeen magazines. Soon you'll have the literary wherewithal to tackle a graphic novel, perhaps. Then, in the not too distant future, you'll be equipped to handle a non-illustrated novelette. I would suggest Stephen King for this part of your literary becoming. Finally, when your temples begin showing a little gray, you'll be able to proudly say, non sum qualis eram !! NOW you will be able to appreciate the absolute perfection of Zofon's magnum opus "The Shadow of the Wind."

Posted on Apr 3, 2010 3:12:49 PM PDT
The Shadow of the Wind is my favorite the story line and all the connections...Nuria's letter in the end was the best.

I went to Barcelona and found all those wonderful places mentioned in the book....Nuria's is a restaurant in Barcelona and there is a toy store called Monfort's. :)

The book is just outstanding.

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 7:45:58 PM PDT
Is it just me? I had such trouble getting into this book and keeping track of the characters I had to start all over again. I am halfway through and totally unengaged. I don't care about the characters and am still making notes on who is who. Everyone keeps saying it is well-written, but I don't agree at all - maybe that is because it is a translation. What is everyone raving about? I just don't get it! I have to read it for a Book Club and honestly I am finding it painful. Does ANYone out there agree with me?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 7:34:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 14, 2010 7:35:54 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 7:38:04 PM PDT
It's not just you, Marjorie. The book is way overrated. (See my review and post and the post of Peedie; the posts seem to have been suppressed by Zafon cultists.) But I look forward to the eventual movie, since that's what I'm convinced the author had one eye on when he wrote his book.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2010 10:34:04 AM PDT
D. Henson says:
I agree. You may add "War and Peace" to the mix as well. Imagine it: Tolstoy who? This guy needs a good Of course genre fans can attest to the problem of books running way to long, and series as well. I, for example, enjoy the "Wheel of Time" series enormously, and its characters are like old comrades to me. Some of the books are clearly far too long, however.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2011 8:02:52 AM PDT
Pat Young says:
I, too, read this for book club. I had to force myself to pick it up, but I was determined. Four of us read it. Three struggled through and one thought it was the best book she'd ever read. The characters in the first half of the book were very confusing. I also have been wondering if the flowery speech is a product of the translator or the author.

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 6:30:06 AM PDT
Just finished the book. I was intrigued from the beginning for it's engaging old-world characters, and melodramatic mysteries. I thought it was a lovely work and it put a smile on my face.

Posted on Jul 12, 2011 6:32:38 AM PDT
Just finished the book. I was intrigued from the beginning for it's engaging old-world characters, and melodramatic mysteries. I thought it was a lovely work and it put a smile on my face.

Posted on Aug 28, 2011 5:30:52 PM PDT
Igor Barry says:
I really enjoyed the book but because of my crazy life I often get both the library book and the audio book at the same time and proceed through the book using whatever means works at the time. So, hearing the book helped me get a real feel for Barcelona places and the names were easier to digest (My Spanish is painfully bad). I wonder if some of those who did not enjoy the written version, might like the audio better. It helped me, and made the story flow smoothly.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2005
Latest post:  Jun 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Shadow of the Wind
Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (Audio Cassette - April 12, 2004)
4.5 out of 5 stars (1,810)