4.0 out of 5 stars A 'Welcome' Change

3.0 out of 5 stars New and Different
Published on March 21, 2008 by R. Ryals

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'Welcome' Change, March 18, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
I haven't been a big fan of Danity Kane. I found their first release to leave much to be desired with only one or two decent tracks. In my opinion though, 'Welcome to the Dollhouse' is a much better release and far more entertaining. There's a very R&B/Pop vibe running throughout the album and where as 'interludes' are usually distracting and take away from the music, I felt they were handled well in this release and actually keep the flow going from start til end instead of letting the vibe fall flat each time they come up.

'Damaged' is definitely among the best tracks and was a good choice for first single. Unlike many albums these days, it isn't the only good track that has single potential. 'Sucka For Love' stands out for the production values, making it sound more like a 90s pop song and rather fresh. 'Ecstasy' is another song with a nice groove that features Rick Ross while 'Poetry' slows down and attempts to features each member's vocal abilities. 'Lights Out', the upbeat anthem 'Pretty Boy' and the Missy Elliot track 'Bad Girl' are all fun tracks that sound different and help make this album a solid effort that out does the first release.

In all, this is a good cd. While there are different styles throughout the cd one could also make the argument that at certain points the music blends together. There are some forgettable tracks that when stacked against those mentioned above sound far too similar and less thrilling than the others. I like that there are fewer tracks I'd skip over or consider filler and that the music is more pop/r&b than it is an attempt to be hip-hop or something the singers' image doesn't convey. I'd definitely recommend you check out this cd.

3.0 out of 5 stars New and Different, March 21, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
I've been following the girls since day one. The first CD was pretty cool...but more R&Bish...but Welcome to The Dollhouse takes us in a whole different direction...im guessing this is the direction the girls want to go in. The CD is very pop...hardly any R&B. Very good dance party/club cd...but if ur in the mood for R&B the ballads on the cd hit the spot...the cd is something to pick up if ur looking for something different....don't expect a Total or Destiny's Child sound from this CD...it's very sexy pop...NICE!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Follow-Up, March 26, 2008
Dezire (long island, ny) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
When I first listened to the new Danity Kane album "Welcome to the Dollhouse" on MTV'S The Leak, I wasn't really feeling it but after a couple of listens I was pretty good. I guess the production and sound was all over the place, it took me a minute to catch the groove of this cd, but now I'm really feeling it. The first single, "Damaged" was a great way to start off the album as a lead single. "Pretty Boy", "Sucka for Love" really made me get this album, "Bad Girl" with Missy, and "Poetry" are the pretty much standout tracks on this album. The track "Ecstacy" is a great track but Rick Ross wasn't needed on it; the track was fine without him. The interludes "Secret Place" and " Picture This" should've been songs cause they would've sounded wonderful.
All in all, this is a great follow-up to their debut album & glad that Diddy didn't let them fade in the background cause this would've been good talent went to waste. The girls stepped up their writing skills which shows them evolving as artists... So DK keep doing your thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Is Not R&B!, March 28, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
So, if that is what you are expecting from DK's second cd, then don't bother picking this one up. If you're a music lover of all types of music then stop and listen. This cd is pop and has only a pinch of r&b in it. It is a different change from their first cd, but it's still good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Is Anybody Listening...?, June 12, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
It's amazing how quick people judge music these days, without giving it a good chance at the very least thinking it was a good effort. I see a lot of reviews, mostly ones that sounds like they know what they're talking about, but we all know they just hatin'. An honest review has to show pros & cons, and an overall opinion, so that's what I'm gonna give you!

"Welcome To The Dollhouse" is certainly a welcoming effort. This album features growth and maturity among each of the female vocalists, as well as strength and professionalism as a musical group. They fought hard to make something of this album, something that doesn't just label it as "sophmore album". They wanted to show how they feel, what they know, and what kinds of songs that they believed in for this album, and it paid off. This has got to be one of the best albums this year!

"Damaged" was a brilliant choice for the first single. Although, it hasn't yet to hit #1 spot, this particular tracks is so much different compared to their previous singles. The thumping beat, electronic sounds, and beautiful vocals - this where Pop music is going. A club tracks with emotional lyrics, amazing! I'm impressed with the up-beat club tracks they really wanted to have, such as, "Bad Girl" featuring the notorious Missy Elliott, "Pretty Boy" produced by Nate 'Danja' Hills which got me dancing on the spot, and "Striptease" with their sensual and Siren-like vocals. Their mid-tempo tracks definitely struck harder than your usual mid-tempo songs, such as, "Sucka For Love" with it's catchy lyrics and 90's sound which is worthy of a single release, and "Ecstacy" featuring Rick Ross which has cool vocals and a smooth groove. One particular song that I felt stood out the most, was the fan-favourite, "Poetry". This is a beautiful ballad which showcases the girls' vocal potential. Emotional, raw and straight from the heart. I must admit I shed a little tear while listening to it.

As much as I believe this to be an amazing album, it does have bumps in the road. As we all know interludes tend to distract the listening pleasure while listening to an album, but I think they did it nicely, especially with "Secret Place", which I felt could've been recorded as a full song. The other interludes served their purpose, but got kind of bored 20 seconds in. "2 Of You" and "Key To My Heart" really didn't leave much of an impact. "2 Of You" is indeed catchy with an infectious beat, but I felt this wasn't a great song for Danity Kane, and for the album. As for "Key To My Heart", the verses sound off-key along with the beat not having much of a steady rhythm, but the whole song was dull and didn't really capture enough emotion to what the song was trying to portray.

I love this album, I feel it's an overall great effort. There could have been better songs, but no matter what any of us think, ultimately it's up to the artists and the producers. And as far as we know, they're all happy with the product and it is definitely worth buying!

4.0 out of 5 stars I expected more..., March 30, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
I REALLLLLYYYY liked Danity Kane's first album, every track was awesome and the CD could be listened to straight through. Although there are some amazing tracks on this album, a few of the songs are just terrible! "Key to My Heart" hurts my ears, it's just messy, and really shouldn't have been put on this album. Also, some of the interludes aren't that great. EVERY interlude on the last album was amazing and helped the CD to flow. "Picture This" is ridiculous, it is so cheesy, and is probably the worst poem I have ever heard in my life! The "Welcome to the Dollhouse" Intro is bad too, which isn't good if it's the first thing you hear on the album!

That's why I only gave it 4 stars. Maybe if I had never heard their first album then this would have gotten 5 stars, but I am going to hold them to their first album... naturally. To me you should come out stronger, not take a few steps back. There are some very cool songs, but with a few bad ones and silly interludes, it evens out or might be worse than their first release. Maybe Puff shouldn't have made them rush :/

The songs that ARE great are: "Damaged, Pretty Boy, Sucka 4 Love, 2 of You, Lights Out and Is Anybody Listening". I like "Bad Girl" but Aubreys opening line makes me cringe... "Look in my eyes covered in maybelline", really, that's the line?? It's silly...

In their defense, I think it's silly that some people compare DK to the Pussycat Dolls. First off, DK doesn't have like 10 members!!! And second, EVERYONE GETS TO SING IN DK!!!! The Pussycat Dolls only ever had Nicole singing and being in everyshot of their videos. I couldn't name one other member of that group... it actually wasn't a group, it was Nicole Scherzinger and her 9 back up dancers! DK is nothing like the dolls!!

Fans of DK are going to get this album anyways and I think new fans should get it as well, it's not that bad, I just expected a little more...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air, March 18, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
Danity Kane is only getting better. This album is enjoyable to listen to from start to finish. They might be the only all-female group that actually has real vocal talent. Enjoy the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars DK does it again!!, March 18, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
Excellent sophomore CD from DK!! Love every track!! Just as good if not even better than their first CD. Go cop it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars really, really good, March 19, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
This album is definitely of better quality recording than their last one. The songs are really good. I was really impressed because usually the first album of an artist is the best but I think this one is better than the first one. Of course, the best songs for me are Bad Girls, Pretty Boy and Damaged, those are just three of my favorites, the rest of the songs are really good as well. I think if you love their voices you would really enjoy this album. It is not boring, and I definitely do not hit the "skip" button on my cd player but once, literally... which, is really good!

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Danity Kane Album, March 21, 2008
This review is from: Welcome To The Dollhouse (Audio CD)
I am a fan of DK but also very objective when it comes to music. Even though their group was put together on TV, they have found how to truly blend and harmonize so beautifully. I was very pleased with the album. The arrangements, production, lyrics and voices have gotten much better and I am very proud of the ladies. Their first album was really good they just didn't get the push from the label to release more singles. I hope the same doesn't happen for this album. Support DK and buy the album.

Welcome To The Dollhouse
Welcome To The Dollhouse by Danity Kane (Audio CD - 2008)