Back to Business Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Best Books of the Month Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on September 5, 2012
I give Eminem a whole lot of credit. He was left in a very difficult position upon signing Slaughterhouse. How does one take a group of emcees known primarily for their technical prowess and lyrical acrobatics and get their sound to appeal to a mainstream audience that has been trained, for nearly a decade, to ignore content in favor of loud beats and catchy hooks? Even more troubling - how do you do that without simultaneously alienating the group's already large and rabid fan base?

Well. Mission accomplished.

Let me open the body of this review by saying this - there are some songs on this album for almost no other purpose than garnering radio/club play and attracting a larger audience to the unique lyricism that Slaughterhouse brings to the table. Those songs range from the tolerable (My Life) to the terrible (Throw It Away.) These songs are going to make long-time fans of Slaughterhouse and its members' solo efforts cringe in horror. With that said - anyone who attempts to tell you that this whole album is made up of that style of song is either lying or just flat hating on the fact that their "cool" underground group has busted into the mainstream.

If this album accomplishes nothing else it stands as a world-class exhibition of just how versatile these four artists are. These guys really can do it all. There is really something for everyone on this album and it is all backed by great production value, powerful beats, and some of the best lyrics you'll find in modern Hip-Hop.

Do you like jazzed up party tunes with up-tempo beats and catchy hooks? Then songs like Hammer Dance, Get Up, Flip A Bird, and Frat House will get the party bouncing and keep it that way.

Are you looking for some summer time "car jams" to blast when you're driving around with the windows down? My Life and Park It Sideways got you covered (and most of the songs from that first batch could be included here, as well.)

Maybe you like more a gritty-sounding "gangsta rap" style? Coffin, Die, and Asylum got you covered.

Do you like soulful music that makes you think and/or reaches in and tugs at those emotional strings? Rescue Me is powerful and Goodbye will leave you bordering on tears.

Long time fan looking for raw lyricism? Relax, it's peppered all over the album but ESPECIALLY on tracks like Our House, Coffin, Die, and Our Way.

No matter what you like, this album has you covered. While it's not perfect, it should be considered a must-own for any fan of Rap music. Oh and don't forget the (FREE!!!) companion mixtape, On The House.
11 comment18 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 28, 2012
this album is great. the only song that i'm not feeling is 'throw it away' but i see what they were trying to do with it. the album itself is very easy to listen to straight through in one sitting. great beats, lyrics, production and features. skylar grey adds a real emotional element to the songs she is featured on, and her voice is amazing. eminem has a verse that is pure fire on 'our house' and includes a very slim shady-esque beat on the song 'asylum'. not to mention, all the slaughters absolutely killed it! great album!
on August 29, 2012
Let me start off this review by first saying, I was not feeling my first play through. I've been a fan of Slaughterhouse since their first self-titled album,and I was expecting that lyrical miracle. I just thought damn they sold out with these mainstream beats and watered down lyrics. But then the more understanding side came out of me and I said, well damn this is a STUDIO ALBUM not a Mixtape or Underground Album. So I went on my second listen and damn, they did it, Is all I can say. They made a Solid album, I can go through the whole LP without skipping a song.

My Personal Album Highlights.

Our House:(Sounds like an Eminem song, how can you go wrong on that. Only complaint on this song is, why does Eminem have a verse on here and not Joe Budden? This is an Introduction song and I feel they slipped here, they should of had the four members spittin' on here. Not Royce, Crook, Joell then Em lol. Anyways I digress, this is just a pesky complaint)

Coffin: (High Energy song makes you want to move!)

Throw That: (Fun song)

Get up: (Another dope Hardcore Hip-hop song)

Flip a Bird:(The whole song has a Three Six Mafia feel, real dope)

Goodbye: (Very sentimental, may cause tears. No lie.)

Die: (Here's that Lyrical miracle for the core fans)

Frat House: (I see this one and "Flip a bird" getting a lot of plays in my ride)

As you can see that's a lot of songs and these are just my personal favorites.
At the end of the day there isn't any other album like this out right now in Hip-Hop, so if you're a fan of Slaughterhouse or Hip-hop or just a fan of music period. GO GET THIS ALBUM!

Also, get their free mix-tape "On The House" These are songs for the core fans!
on October 23, 2012
*Deep sigh* This is exactly what I knew would happen. Once I heard Yelawolf's album last year I told everyone the Slaughterhouse album would be just as messed up as "Radioactive" was, and I was right. This is not the same Slaughterhouse we heard three years ago. I guess I can start with the petty things like the cover art. It looks like a stoned toddler went and had fun on Photoshop for the first time. That cover is awful. Ok, time for the music.

When "The Slaughter" starts it gets you real hyped. By the time it ends you expect the next song to come and hit hard, but it doesn't. It's some wannabe introspective track, and Royce couldn't even get through the first verse on the album without mentioning Eminem. It disgusts me. I had the same issue with their mixtape "On The House." They can't stop themselves from bringing this dude's name up as much as possible. The man is washed up, stop acting like he's still on top.

Throughout the album it's one song after the next and they all feel lifeless. Each one feels longer than the one before it, and it's just boring. It's obvious they tried to take the commercial route with songs like "Throw That," "My Life," "Throw It Away" & "Park It Sideways." Those are hands down the worst songs on the album. There are some songs like "Rescue Me" that could have been dope, but it wasn't necessary to have all four of them spit a verse. That song would've been fantastic with just Crooked I and Joe Budden because they both spit amazing verses.

Overall Joell Ortiz surprised me the most. Lately it's felt like his heart wasn't fully in it, but a good chunk of his verses on here aren't bad. Royce had to be the most annoying. And I hate to say something like that because I love Royce, but he just sounds so full of himself now. Crooked I did what Crooked I does best and was definitely the most consistent with his verses. Joe Budden's presence felt almost nonexistent and the verses he did drop were very bland.

The guest artists weren't anything special either. On the main album Eminem appears on two songs and appears on one of the bonus cuts. Skylar Grey appears on two songs and Busta Rhymes, Swizz Beatz, and Cee Lo Green each make an appearance. Luckily most of the guests only provided hook support except Em on track two and B.o.B on one of the bonus songs.

As far as the bonus tracks go they really don't lend anything to the main album. All they really do is drag the album on longer. They could have stopped the album after "Goodbye" and it probably would've been fine. "Asylum" has a really dope concept and the verses are pretty dope, but they all did a whisper flow which brought it down. For the most part the production is nice, but there were some beats that were really annoying.

Standout Songs: "Hammer Dance," "Flip A Bird" & "Goodbye"

Overall Score: 4/10 - This is disappointing. Even though I was expecting this to happen, I didn't want to believe it. I used to run around screaming "SLLLLAAAAAUUUGHTERHOUSSSEEE!" but I guess that's over now. Hopefully they get their act together on the next album. Stop trying to appeal to the masses and make a real follow up album.
on September 7, 2012
Slaughterhouse releases their second album "Welcome To: Our House" on shady Records. Their first album was self titled (slaughterhouse)was released in 2009 and it received good reviews from fans and critics, even though they said it was recorded in a week. So everybody is wondering will their Shady debut be better than the first one, well lets see...

I'll give a quick track by track breakdown of the standard edition

1. "The Slaughter" (Intro)

2. "Our House" (featuring Eminem and Skylar Grey) Here we go, slaughterhouses first track to the mainstream world and Joe budden isn't on the track but Em is? Matter of fact Joe does have two lines.. the loud Skylar Grey hook was very annoying but the verses was dope.

3. "Coffin" (featuring Busta Rhymes)Bussa Bus does a good job on the high energy hook, and Slaughterhouse does what they do best and that spit fire! This one of the songs you can outwork to.

4. "Throw That" (featuring Eminem)This song sounds so awkward and forced, as this is for the strip clubs... The hook is atrocious as Em says "I'll throw this d*** on you girl" and "This whole building is probably filled with lil ding-a-lings".

5. "Hammer Dance" The first single produced by AraabMuzik, y'all should already know about this song. One of my fav songs on here.

6. "Get Up" No I.D. supplies a dope beat while Slaughterhouse tells you how they wont lose. They were trying to make a statement with this song and they did.

7. "My Life" (featuring Cee Lo Green) I'm not gonna lie I hated this song at first, it felt like leftover track from Ems recovery album..but after giving it a few more listens it definitely grew on me. This was the their crossover song that should of been as big as Bad Meets Evils "Lighters" song, but nonetheless lyrically they are still on point. Great song

8. "We Did It" (Skit)

9. "Flip a Bird" The title explains the track perfectly, basically the song is about drugs. If rap don't work they will sell drugs if they have to.

10. "Throw It Away" (featuring Swizz Beatz)The third single, I hated this track the first time I heard it but after seeing the video and giving it more listens I actually like it now.

11. "Rescue Me" (featuring Skylar Grey) Skylar shows up for a second time I like this better than the other song shes on, this track is dope and Alex Da Kid supplies a sick head nodding beat. One thing I noticed was Crooked I was rapping exactly like em, he even altered his voice to sound like him...that was kinda weird

12. "Frat House" Royce & Crooked I have their own verse while Joe & Joell share the third as they use College refenrces which was cool. This is another on my fav tracks on here.

13. "Goodbye" Heartfelt track where they talk about family members they lost. Joe talks about his twins, Crooked talks about his Uncle and Joell talks about his Grandmother. This is a song to check for.

14. "Park It Sideways" This track is produced by Kane Beatz, and its obviously aimed for the radio.... when the beat gets to the hook it sounds similar to Lil Waynes "Right Above It" beat. The crazy thing about this song is on the hook they say "we got this b**** bumpin like a bug bite" I wasn't really feeling this track

15. "Die" Joell is absent on this track, Joe Buddens definitely had the standout verse, but Royce & Crook are still spitting dope verses. This song is cool.

16. "Our Way" (Outro)Basically a celebrating track, to sum it all up they made it. This song was ok, nothing special

Overall the album solid but I still feel it didn't meet expectations... you have Slaughterhouse and Eminem, that's 5 lyrical giants right there and the songs they collaborated together on was underwhelming. The problem with this album is the pop singles and hooks, which are really cheesy. I don't even care that they made radio songs cause some of my fav songs are mainstream, its just the fact that the "Pop" songs they made were not good. Other than a few songs, it seems like they had no creative control over this album whatsoever. The same thing happened to Yelawolf when he released "Radioactive". Hopefully the next album they release is more focused and less forced. I think the first album is better than this one, but you should atleast check the album out. The album isn't terrible by any means, but it isn't great either. I give it a 3.5 out of 5 its a solid album
on September 2, 2012
This has been one of the most anticipated albums of 2012. Their first album was slept on commercially, but this album will rattle some hiphop artists' heads and step their pen game up. Some say that the production is totally left-field to their usual street bangers. Personally, they stepped out the box and were still able to put the English language to WORK! This album should show some of these so called rap artists that you can sell records without talking about stacks of money, sex and other lavish sh*t...
on August 28, 2012
Slaughterhouse's Welcome To: Our House is an amazing rap album. Joe Budden, Crooked I, Royce Da 5'9, and Joell Oritz were all incredible. What I really like about the album is the fact that it has so much variety; Welcome To: Our House has many deep, introverted songs, and some radio/club songs; regardless, most of the songs on this album are great. Although it's not as dark and gritty as the self-titled Slaughterhouse album, the production in this album is still great and better than most radio songs. I enjoyed all of the following songs a lot, and I recommend you check these tracks out to see if you like them (eventually, someone will upload these to YouTube, if they're not already there):
- Our House
- Get Up
- Flip A Bird
- Rescue Me
- Goodbye
- Park It Sideways
- Our Way (Outro)
- Asylum (definitely a highlight of the Deluxe Version songs)

The whole album gives off a triumphant, epic vibe; particularly, Park It Sideways gave off a successful, "we made it" feeling, I can't help but smile when I listen to that song. I've been listening to Slaughterhouse since the first song on Joe Budden's Halfway House, and it feels great to see this supergroup's sound evolve. I highly recommend this album.
on August 28, 2012
Hip Hop isn't dead. Hip Hop has been held hostage in a recording studio and was released from captivity today as a 20 track masterpiece entitled Welcome to our house! I have followed Royce, Budden, and Ortiz each individually from day one. I still listen to Joell's 125 Grams and I have every mixtape & cd Budden has released mood muzik etc. I've followed Royce and always thought he never got the respect he was due. Anyone listening to Bad meets Evil and doesn't agree that he holds his own quite well alongside one of the greatest lyricists ever, Eminem, is insane. I recently started following Crooked I as a result of Slaughterhouse and I have to say he is one of the strongest of the group. A true monster of talent and I was surprised that he never gets left in the dust on a track. Together these 4 gentleman are like a breath of fresh air to hip hop. The ability to be that lyrical and yet deliver as much substance as they do is unheard of. Usually you find an MC that is lyrical and has great word structure, but their content, metaphors, and overall message is weak. Or, you have someone who is a good story teller and has ok punchlines, but their lyrical delivery is garbage. These guys have it all and for ALL 4 of them to rip it on this album they way they did is phenomenal. I enjoyed EVERY track on the album and disagree with critics taking shots at Frat House or Throw it Away etc. My favorite tracks are Flip a Bird, Frat House, Goodbye, Our Way, Asylum, Place to Be,... well actually every track is my favorite! I hope everyone supports this piece of work because they deserve it! House Gang!
11 comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 4, 2012
"Welcome to Our House" (WtOH) is the long-awaited result of Eminem's endorsement of the Slaughterhouse project back in 2009 when Crooked I, Joell Ortiz, Joe Budden, and Royce da 5'9 unexpectedly appeared behind him in the "Forever" music video. Eminem produced much of WtOH and mixed it as well, so it's no exaggeration to say that he is Slaughterhouse's fifth member.

WtOH is both lengthy and dense; few hip hop albums have 18 tracks of music and so few skits (only two), and even fewer deliver solid lyricism so consistently from beginning to end. This album is a like slice of chocolate cake so rich that you have to stop eating it midway, take a milk break, and then come back to complete. If you savor and appreciate each track, you probably won't be able to listen to the whole thing from beginning to end in one sitting.

The replay value of these 18 tracks is phenomenal. Each track is packed with funny/brilliant punchlines, complex rhyme schemes, meter changes, and a gamut of raw emotions - anger, elation, frustration, sorrow, fear - as the four MCs rhyme about fame corrupting their friendships, dealing with their kids and "crazy baby mamas," staying at the top of rap's lyrical pecking order, and escaping the street life thanks to hard work, talent, and lucky breaks (which they are cognizant and appreciative of).

WtOH is one of the few albums that merits a track-by-track review, but I'll stick to the standouts so as not to ruin the surprise and pleasure of discovering and experiencing the depth of each track for yourself. "Get Up" is probably the most motivating track and my personal favorite. Skylar Grey lends her trademark haunting and melancholy vocals to two of the album's somber, serious tracks, "Rescue Me" and "Our House." "Goodbye" is poignant, with Budden saying farewell to miscarried twins, Crooked rapping about losing the uncle who filled in for his deadbeat dad to cancer, and Ortiz rhyming about his grandmother passing away. The four MCs deal with their own humanity in the sad but somehow uplifting "The Other Side," where Royce confesses that if his wife died he'd want to die alone (unusual since rappers generally claim "bitches ain't shit" and pretend to be completely emotionally unattached to women) and Ortiz lays bare his problems with one of his baby mamas.

Underlying all of the tracks is a feeling of triumph, of total victory over all the haters and doubters (a doubter is just a hater who hasn't come out of the closet). I picked up on this triumphant feeling even before I heard Royce on the chorus of "Our Way" sing: "We made it / But we did it our way." For four MCs who have been in the rap game since the mid to late 1990s, WtOH is the pinnacle of their careers thus far, careers that have been an unending series of frustrating false starts, deals fallen through, and delayed/cancelled projects all of which bred cynicism among rap fans that the Slaughterhouse project would produce anything more than quality internet mixtapes given their individual career trajectories. WtOH proves that Slaughterhouse is much greater than the sum of its parts in this regard, and every track on this album is like the endzone dance of a football team that was never supposed to have a chance of getting into the Superbowl much less scoring touchdowns.

As good as WtOH is, it's not flawless. "Walk of Shame" and "Throw That" (featuring Eminem) are straight garbage, pure recycle bin material for anyone's computer. These two are also the album's most misogynistic, woman-hating tracks, so deleting them is a double pleasurable. Although Slaughterhouse managed to put some witty and clever lines on both tracks, it was a waste of talent.

The choruses for "Flip a Bird," "Throw it Away," and "Frat House" are lame/annoying but the four MCs' lyricism not only rescues them from the skip button but makes them enjoyable overall.

The last blemish on the otherwise flawless facade of WtOH is the identical structure of all the tracks. Each MC takes his turn on each beat, dropping 16 or 32 bars. This formula is rinsed and repeated 18 times (although Royce didn't have a verse on "Goodbye"); there is almost no interweaving between the four MCs a la Royce and Eminem on the Bad Meets Evil album. Ortiz and Budden trade bars back and forth with each other for a minute on "Frat House," but aside from that, each MC sticks to his own bloc of time. A related issue is that, while the four of them stick to a unifying theme for each track, not once do they craft a unified story over the course of their four verses. These four gave us "Three Sides to a Story," "Part of Me," "125 part 4," and "My Life 2.0," so it's clear that Slaughterhouse hasn't even begun to tap into their collective story-telling abilities. Maybe we'll see these elements in a more developed form on their next release.

These minor blemishes pale in comparison to what is a solid achievement by four rap titans who are finally getting their due.
on August 28, 2012
The beats are awesome. The verses are even better. Slaughterhouse was unbelievably creative with this album and showed that they can do more than just rap bars. They were experimenting and I think it turned out really well. They have everything from potential radio hits, to funny songs, to hardcore hiphop that slaughterhouse fans will appreciate. Great features and producing. My only complaint would be that the album was almost over-produced. Really great CD overall though. Even people who don't like hardcore hiphop would really like this album. It's MUST BUY