Published 9 months ago by Daniel T. Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars worshipful album like their previously recorded 'Undone' but they definitely adventured into ...
I was hoping for another reverent, worshipful album like their previously recorded 'Undone' but they definitely adventured into a new style and was less overt in it's Christianity. I hoped for better but I will grow to like it, it will just take time to get used to it.
Published 7 months ago by david f.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great addition to an impressive catalog of hits by one of my fave groups, April 8, 2014
This review is from: Welcome To The New (Audio CD)
The album title aptly describes this album as practically everything is new about this album. The very popular (and to some controversial) song Shake is on here. But that's only the beginning. Gotta let it Go, New Lease on Life, greater...flawless, okay every song basically, is a gem. New Release Tuesday nailed it on the head when they said this isn't one step forward...it's like 12 and then a giant leap. I almost hear tinges of third day, lincoln brewster and rhett walker on here. After a somber and somewhat more serious minded album with The Hurt and the Healer, this album just is more of a celebration of who we are in Christ. Lyrically, this is one of their strongest to date...except shake...maybe a little too generic there, but overall if you like a group that just loves Jesus and occasionally rocks, this is a good choice. At recently turning 41 years old, Bart Millard has certainly been with these guys for a while and if they keep crankin' out songs like you find here, I think Mercyme will continue to be a force to be reckoned with for years yet to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air, April 13, 2014
This review is from: Welcome To The New (Audio CD)
I have always appreciated what MercyMe brings to the table of Christian Contemporary music. I often find the genre boring and uninspiring, but MercyMe pushes the envelope enough to sound fresh and interesting. Welcome To The New continues in this same fashion and arguably their strongest effort since Coming Up To Breathe in 2006.

The theme of the album revolves around how God transforms us and makes us new. For the most part the lyrics are what we have come to expect from MercyMe: powerful and truthful messages of God's love. Musically, this is definitely a CCM album, but there are elements of R&B, gospel, country, folk pop, and jazz scattered throughout the album that make this rise above the often formulaic Adult Contemporary sound. My personal favorite is the Greater which starts off with a soft gospel chorus, then shifts to country, then folk-pop, and then has an Asian harp in the chorus. It has a great beat, a groovy baseline, and simple but powerful lyrics.

The band clearly had fun putting this album together and also poured their hearts into it. Bart Millard's voice is crisp, smooth, and powerful as always and it's great to hear the band playing more dynamic and eclectic music while still keeping their message intact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, April 8, 2014
C. Pentzien (Edinburg, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome To The New (Audio CD)
I have long been a fan, but this is my favorite album by far. Turn this on and turn it up! For our after dinner family cleanup dance party, Shake has taken us to new levels--I've never felt more like we were moving--and living--to the glory of God (says a former heathen). Seriously, it's an outstanding album. Thank you, guys--you rock!

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album yet and that says a lot!, April 21, 2014
T. Knoploh (St. Louis, MO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Welcome To The New (Audio CD)
As always, the music is top notch but I especially love the message this album shares! Thank you to MercyMe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the new...MercyMe! - They've Got It, April 13, 2014
Amazon Customer "DF" (Montgomery, IL, United States) - See all my reviews
This new album by MercyMe is a very upbeat look at how life changes when one accepts Jesus as savior and stops trying to get to heaven on one's own merit. Songs are infectious and inspiring. Somehow this album is both everything you'd expect from the band yet surprisingly different than previous releases.

4.0 out of 5 stars MercyMe: Welcome to the New, April 13, 2014
I really like MercyMe, but after their last album I felt they needed something strong to pull them back up. Boy did they do their work! This CD isn't Mr. Lovewell, but it is definitely a pick me up. The songs are energetic, upbeat, and have awesome lyrics, an album chopped with thought provoking material. If you're a MercyMe fan this is an absolute pick me up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a great album!!!!!, April 15, 2014
They just keep getting better and better and this album doesn't disappoint. More upbeat and some rock sound to it. But also the ballads that make your hair stand up on your arms. I highly recommend this album to anybody. Will lift your spirit:))

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Music!, April 10, 2014
Mercy Me delivers fabulous music again with inspiring upbeat, toe tapping tunes and lyrics that edify your walk with the Lord. They are always keeping it real. It's a great joy to listen to their music.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love everything MercyMe!, April 13, 2014
Such an anointed group of young men! God always uses their music to speak to me and make His presence known! I love this band!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my!, April 20, 2014
This review is from: Welcome To The New (Audio CD)
If you love country rock, be SURE to grab this! I had no idea these guys were so talented. You hear traces of good old fashioned bluegrass, rock and country/rock and a little jazz tossed in just for fun. We bought it because it had the song "Shake" on it but have enjoyed the rest of the songs as well. Still love "Shake" the best (and if you listen to that song and just don't get up and dance, there's SO something wrong!), but there are a couple on here that really make you think you're listening to Rascal Flatts at times. Just a very pleasant surprise, a great pick-me-up album which highlights the group's talents - including the dulcimer. Highly, highly recommend!

Welcome To The New
Welcome To The New by MercyMe (Audio CD - 2014)