Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2005 7:31:27 AM PST
Be the first to start a discussion below! Ask questions, share insights, and express your views on your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2005 8:41:35 AM PST
Gustavo Pena says:
Is Swensen's message "Do as I say, Not as I do?"
Swensen put Yale's money in the hands of the best money managers available. Then he writes a book on how YOU can't select a good money manager, so you should be stuck with the volatility and middling performance of Index funds. These funds generally rank in the top 72%-78% of all funds...in other words they are solid C-average students.
Guess what?
There are dozens of money managers out there that regularly beat those indexes, have been doing it for decades, do so at low cost, and with lower volatility. American Funds, of course, is the best known brand, but look at any of the fund companies with over 30-40 years in business and you will more than likely find good core investments.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2006 5:21:29 PM PST
Willis says:
I generally agree with you -- Swensen recommends a 30% bond allocation in his book, yet Yale's Endowment's target is only 7.5% because of low expected returns. So I'm puzzled by the very large discrepancy, to your question.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2006 1:48:59 PM PST
D. Corey says:
I haven't read the book but did hear his interview recently on NPR. He does use money managers for Yale's funds. He has some very good ones. But he said that there are not good resources for individuals to do the intense type of money managing that is required to get the high rate of returns the Yale endowment gets. So individuals need to get someone to manage for them - so invest in mutual funds. But the actively managed funds by for-profit companies have a poor track record of beating the low fee, passive index following funds. So for the typical person saving for retirement investing along his "Do as I say" lines makes sense. This is why his advice looks hypocritical.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2006 6:47:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2006 12:32:09 AM PST
L. Doron says:
I did not read the book, but I also heard an NPR interview (to listen, go to www.onpointradio.org and search for "Swensen"). However, one reason for the bond discrepancy may be that an individual investor has a time horizon to retirement of 50 years at most, whereas Yale, as an institution, has an unlimited term and large reserves. So, Yale can weather a bad stock market, while an individual could be wiped out. The larger bond allocation provides the additional diversity and stability required for most folks.

Another possible reason is that Swensen's elite money managers may be better able to predict and avert disaster in a down market, so, again, they don't need as large a bond allocation.

In short, the point is that this portfolio is for individuals (not institutions) who have busy lives (and can't devote their time to managing retirement investments).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2006 12:56:28 AM PDT
Lance Wiggs says:
I've read the book and went to Yale SOM.
Dave Swensen has a rare talent for picking money managers. He also has billions to invest, and so it's a lot easier for him to find and to invest with the best.
For us individual investors the picking are a lot slimmer, with lower returns and higher fees.

I found this book excellent, and promptly used it to advice a bunch of others.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2005
Latest post:  Oct 9, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about