Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2005 7:32:13 AM PST
Be the first to start a discussion below! Ask questions, share insights, and express your views on your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2008 1:50:34 PM PST
Cheesemaker says:
OK I'll bite, I was looking for a Cheese Forum, better off going to www.CheeseForum.org as discussion here is not really about Cheese!

Posted on Jun 24, 2010 5:12:41 PM PDT
David Silver says:
When change is imposed by an employer on an employee, one might ask: How does this person qualify to make decisions from a position outside the "trenches"? Does higher salary bring greater "wisdom"? Unless one is happy being the component of a business machine, a "cog in the wheel", one has a personal obligation to voice an opinion on any forthcoming Change-from-Above - voiced not only to fellow employees, but also -in the most discreet and diplomatic manner - to the employer. For example, if the concerns of just one of those employees working on the now-infamous BP oil rig had truly been heard by management -------
The most important change one can make in life is from being a subservient automaton to a human being. Certainly you can and likely will punch holes in my assertion, but here is the bottom line for me: when change is imposed, one must recognize that one's own obligation to change is not limited to that single "imposed" change. Two personal examples: when I surprisingly received a positive tenure letter (1985) for my university teaching position, I was already contemplating and prepared for change (losing the job, having to find another). When the letter arrived, I realized that the choice was actually mine - that tenure was offered, not granted. Yes, I chose to accept tenure - but it was not imposed upon me. Next, as the ensuing years saw the arts programs in which I taught evolve from a haven for the development of artists (where one could begin to find one's individual identity) to a "trade school" format, I realized that I needed to counter the gradual changes (which I frequently challenged vocally - admittedly armored with my tenure) with a truly radical change: resigning. Eight years later, I have finally forged a self-employed life with ample resources for sustenance and leisure. I believe with all my heart that any of you can do this, although the "dues to pay" in order to (re-)claim your one unit of power in the world may seem impossibly high. I welcome your rebuttals, but please, no nasty remarks. The changes that you personally initiate are the most often the ones that bring fulfillment - I'm certain of this.

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 5:02:51 AM PDT
The more worrying theme in this book is that change is in the hands of the faceless, untouchable, 'perfect' people and the people who actually produce the cheese (not just consume it) can have it taken from them by these 'perfect' people with no notice and at their whim.

The answer would seem to be to leave the maze and become one of the faceless, untouchable 'perfect' people who get to move and remove the cheese produced by the people in the maze. That way you get to watch the lower mortals scurry about in fear and desperation as some of them hide in corners dying of depression and cheeselessness. Always supposing that the 'choice' to leave the maze is possible, of course.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2005
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about