Customer Discussions > Honeymoon forum

Welcome to the Honeymoon forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 3, 2005 10:42:06 AM PST
Be the first to start a new discussion in this forum. Share questions, insights, and views about your favorite books and authors. Read what others are saying about popular books. Join in the fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2006 4:44:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 28, 2006 4:44:38 PM PST
Bookworm says:
I really enjoyed the book . . . however

SPOILER AHEAD-----------------
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
Who poisoned Nora?????
What was in the letter from her mother which hinted at lots of info re Nora?
Why did she kill if for any other reason than $$?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2007 4:12:37 PM PST
Spoilers ahead!
- Nora's sister-in-law poisoned her. Makes me wonder about the kind of woman her s-i-l was also lol.
- I think the mother explained the truth about her fake condition and showed her support. She knew Nora needed her mother just then. They were the same kind of women.
- Probably it was all $$.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 8:28:24 AM PDT
I enjoyed all the little twists in this book - this was my first time reading a Patterson and probably the fastest I've ever read a book too since it is obviosly such an insanely fast-paced page turner with its short chapters and quick revelations and such.

My only complaint is that I wish Nora would have found out that her mother was sane before she met her fate. The novel builds the suspense on this throughout and seeing or knowing how Nora would react would have been a treat for the audience, us as readers.

I do not share the complaints other people have about not knowing exactly what was on her mother's note or not knowing enough about the "other mission" of "the Tourist" and its conclusions, etc. To me the answers to those questions were ultimately obvious - since Patterson does give you some very clear hints as to the details.

Overall, though, I do agree with most that this book was good but not great. The novel loses a little something near its very end, like the writers were in a rush to wrap things up. I wish there had been more of a one-last, major blow-out confrontation or face-off between some or any of the many feuding characters - but instead things are wrapped up rather quickly and conveniently.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 8:41:04 AM PDT
Also, the authors explained additional reasons why she kills - this question is pretty clearly answered within the pages of the book. There is a chapter where Susan and a psychologist discuss Nora's pyschological mind-state for one.

There are the clear details we know about her troubled upbringing in foster homes and the fact that she witnessed her mother kill her father at a young age. She loved/loves her mother deeply and hated seeing her taken away from her and then driven to insanity and confined all those years. She blames the men from her father to her mother's arresting police and so on for all this. She was probably a witness to male-to-female domestic-like abuse during childhood as well. She was probably abused or treated poorly by the men running the foster homes. As an absolutely gorgeous but vulnerable young girl in foster homes it is probably not a stretch to say that she was often sexually abused or harrassed during that time.

Finally, she straight up explains to O'Hara that not only does she absolutely love the money she gets - a major motivation - but that she enjoys the rush, the fun, and the game of seducing rich and powerful men, making them fall in love with only her, and then having the power to kill them and get away with it. She calls it a sport that she gets off on and explains that she hates men for "too many reasons" which are not elaborated on but which you can obviously guess on based on all the above.

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 12:55:30 PM PDT
Saco Mom says:
Could Nora have been the one to kill her father, and her mother was just covering up for her?

Posted on May 5, 2012 9:07:08 PM PDT
HHB says:
Bookworm - how did you miss the killer, she is named explicitly in the big reveal.

I found the subplot about Nora leaving her purse with the letter in it behind absolutely ridiculous, but then there's so much that's ridiculous in this book.

Nora killed for $, but also because we are told there was a voice in her head telling her what to do and following it was the only way to shut it up.

However with the sociopathic traits displayed by Nora, the idea that she would have fallen for "Craig" are inconsistent. This book is terrible, lazy tripe, and the most blatant male wishful thinking. I thought I'd throw the book across the room if I read one more description of how witty Nora and Susan seemed to think that John/Craig was, when he hadn't said anything funny even once. Total misogynist tripe.

Posted on Sep 16, 2012 5:39:22 AM PDT
Dawn Mills says:
What was the quote throughout, "better off paranoid than..." or. "Better paranoid than...." I don't remember, but was one of the mantras.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Honeymoon forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 3, 2005
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Honeymoon
Honeymoon by James Patterson (Hardcover - February 15, 2005)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (707)