Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on January 16, 2014
This product works just great, but there are some things that you need to be aware in order to utilize it properly in the construction of a homebrewing mash tun. As pictured is precisely how it is delivered. This item, in my opinion, is absolutely perfect for a hot lauter tun or brew kettle that you intend to add a weldless spigot to, without any further connections.

If, however, you plan to use this in the assembly of a cooler mash tun build, realize that there will not be anything left to connect to on the inside of the Mash tun. The included washers and gaskets will provide a remarkable seal, however there will be no threading left to connect a false bottom adapter to. I had to forgoe a nut and gasket in order to have enough threading available to attach my false bottom adapter, but was still able to achieve a leak free installation.

The threading on this, by the way, is male NPT threading. If you're placing this in a bulkhead, perfect. If not, know that you will likely have to switch out the NPT adapter on the Amazon suggeted false bottom adapter hose to a female one for these male threads to go into. Giggity.
on September 27, 2012
The valve works fine. Comes with instructions to do a bunch of things, but only has the peieces to do one. I used it on a 10 gallon cooler for a mash tun. With the pieces included there is no way of attaching anythign to it. I had to go buy a large washer and a 1/2 coupling. I can see not including the coupling, I should have thought of that, but the instructions show a two washer set up and only one washer is included. Not that big of deal, but it is difficult to find stainless steel parts at most hardware stores and sort of frustrating to have to do it. For 40+ dollars it would have been noce to get the other washer.
on February 12, 2013
Bought a Bayou Classic Stock Pot and a titanium step bit to install a 1/2" Weldless Bulkhead and Stainless Steel valve. With foodgrade silicon washers and a bazooka screen it works great for all-grain beer brewing.
on March 11, 2013
I'm a home-brew rookie and decided to "build" my own brew kettle. I started with a Winco 40 qt aluminum pot and added this valve and a screen and it works great! They have cheaper brass valves but there's no substitute for stainless. I wanted a stainless kettle but for the price of a good heavy tri-ply kettle in a 40 qt costs a small fortune! Happy brewing!
on March 21, 2014
I had a difficult time with it at first. I was trying to install into a beverage cooler, and thought the nipple was way to short and it wasn't going to work. I read through reviews and realized I only needed the one washer and the gasket on the inside of the cooler, so basically didn't need all the parts, which gave me enough room to screw my bazooka screen on the inside. Made two batches so far with no leaks.
on December 18, 2015
Works well in my mash tun. Still needed to get a few things from Home Depot or Lowes. If you're going that route anyway you might as well get a cheaper setup from them all together...The valve itself though is good.
on January 11, 2013
Bit pricy but the quality is good. Fits my 10 gallon cooler for my Lauter Tun. Came with 3 seals (really only need one). Threads where pre-taped for good seal.

However... Yes it comes with instructions. The instructions suggest that I need a female coupler on the side with the seal but there is no thread left to do this. I'm unable to use the false bottom connector in conjunction with this item as is.

I thought if the threaded part on the false bottom adapter was long enough, I could use that. Not the case. I have no idea how to resolve this with the given parts.
on April 23, 2012
The valve is pretty much what I expected. The only issue is that the kit doesn't come ready for a female to female coupler. It requires and additional steel washer and silicone washer. I imagine a lot of people are using this with some sort of screen that attaches to the inside, so it would be nice if that was included so all you have to do is add the coupler. Maybe offer a second product that even includes the coupler, washer, and silicone washer. Either way, I'm happy, have no leaks, and am ready to brew. Thanks!
on December 15, 2015
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT IF YOU EXPECT TO USE IT ON A MASH TUN!!!

As stated in other reviews, the nipple that comes with this product is way too short and needs to be replaced (which SS materials like this are hard to find at any hardware store). I am sure this product works fine on a brew kettle. (Update, this ball valve works perfectly fine on a kettle.)

I originally gave this product 3 stars because I got an awesome ball valve with the right accessories (other than the nipple) at a great price ($22). I would not pay a cent more than what I did. It loses the two stars because I believe this product should come with a 2nd metal washer (Update: 2nd metal washer not needed as the nut works perfectly fine within the container) and the nipple being useless (and the hassle of trying to find a SS nipple at a reasonable price).

Updated Review: I use this ball valve on my 10 gallon Home Depot water cooler. I had to replace the supplied nipple with the SS one that came with my bazooka screen. A heaping amount of teflon tape later and my cooler is sealed tight. I have added a star back since my original review, but I am still omitting a star due to the hassle of dealing with the nipple problem.
on April 25, 2015
The reason I rated it 4 stars is that I am using it on a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler. Looking at the answered questions I thought it was the right product.
First the rubbermaid coolers work with 3/8" npt, For 1/2" you need to drill the hole larger.
Second the Nipple that comes with the one I received has Hex style and is too short to fit, Thus it needed to be replaced. Also additional 7/8" washers where needed, placed between the valver and the outside of the cooler.to get a good seal.
About $10 in extra parts and drilling of the cooler
On my first Conversion of a 5 gal cooler, I used a 3/8" valve and nipple. This allows the use of the original rubber washer and requires no drilling. This is really the way to go; Overall I paid about $20 less, easier mod and works just as well.

The Manufacture deserves 5 stars as they do not make any claims that this will work on a cooler.