4.0 out of 5 stars A practical nutritional guide
Cut to the chase, I lost 71 pounds after having my baby, 31 was baby weight and 39 was additional weight. Did this book do that? Not entirely of itself but it was a huge influence on me.
Published on January 16, 2003 by Lainie Guerra Hardman

3.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver for breastfeeding moms wanting to lose weight
Published on March 21, 2000 by Jennifer

4.0 out of 5 stars A practical nutritional guide, January 16, 2003
I was disappointed when I first read it because I was expecting a diet. A real diet with strict limitations and tricks. This was very similar to the nutritional guide I received from the hospital. I had changed my eating habits during preganancy to be more healthy. I did not consider it to be a life change.
This book encourages you to eat, eat, eat, and I did. If you are breastfeeding you cannot diet!!! I can't emphisize that enough. You must meet your nutritional requirements to make good milk. I actually did not eat enough and suffered temporary hair loss, skin discoloration and fatigue when I strayed from the eating plans in the book. When I got back on track my hair grew back and I wasn't so tired anymore.
Ok, basically, I was not deprived. This is not a deprivation diet. Your baby will get all necessary nutrients in the breast milk. If you want any for yourself you have to eat. You also have to get out and walk about 20 min 4 times a week as well. Moderate excecise and the eating plans in this book helped me to lose the weight.
This is not a gimmick diet but a real nutritional guide to healthy eating. It is also extremely informative in all subjects relating to breastfeeding. I definitely reccommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars A lifesaver for breastfeeding moms wanting to lose weight, March 21, 2000
I was thrilled to find a book that addresses the needs of breastfeeding mothers who are interested in losing weight. Althought I breastfed my first daughter I did not experience the weightloss I anticipated. With our second daughter I wanted to find out what I could do to lose weight safely yet not compromise the health of the baby. This book describes a gentle weight loss plan. Instead of a diet, I'd call it a way eating for life. I have learned the value of nutrition and am enjoying foods I never thought I'd be eating. The recipes are very helpful and easy to prepare. A must for busy moms. I now weigh 6 lbs less than I did when I got pregnant with my first daughter three years ago. Thank you Eileen!

5.0 out of 5 stars An easy to understand guide to good nutrition while nursing, August 21, 1998
By A Customer
What an easy book to read--I read it in one day!! The focus of the book is about breast feeding successfully and healthfully. Weightloss is just a benefit of following the well balanced meal plans outlined. She focuses on caring for your body and your baby and does not include guilt in any way. She encourages very slow healthy weight loss and gives you the tools to achieve success.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, April 14, 2008
This review is from: Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding: The Complete Nutrition Book for Nursing Mothers (Paperback)
This book has been very helpful for me to lose weight while breastfeeding. I had always been a petite 120 lb. woman until I got pregnant, and gained 43 lbs. I lost 17 lbs. the first month of breastfeeding after my son was born, but then I gained back 12 lbs. I was very frustrated because I have always been fit and healthy. I had been under the false pretense that I could now eat whatever I wanted and still lose weight while breastfeeding. Unfortunately this was not the case for me.
So, when I discovered this book about eating well and losing weight while breastfeeding I thought I would give it a chance. The thing I love most about this book is that it makes it easy to customize a healthy diet for your individual goals. It gives you a healthy weight range for all shapes and sizes of women. There are so many diets out there that lump everyone into the same category and just say how many calories to eat, or to cut out fat, or to cut out carbs. This book explains how to eat the correct number of calories for your individual body size without cutting out fat or carbs (but rather eating everything in moderation).
I also love the recipes! They are healthy and tasty. Imagine that. Quite contrary to the philosophy that if it tastes good, spit it out.
I recommend this book to anyone who really wants to make a life change and get back on track to a healthy weight while making sure to eat all of the healthy nutrients that your baby needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Highly recommend for any woman even considering nursing, February 7, 1998
By A Customer
This is a great guide for any woman struggling with losing weight while breastfeeding. It gives a clear, easy to follow guide of how and what and why to eat the right ammount of the right nutrients to insure healthly milk production for your baby and still allow you to lose weight slowly as is always recommended. Every one tells you how to eat when you are pregnant, but leaves you in the lurch once the baby is home. This book has been a super aid.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book!!!, November 11, 2001
"asbass13" (Albuquerque, NM) - See all my reviews
This book is an excellent resource. I used it myself to melt away over 50 lbs after baby #2!!! I am an RN and Certified Lactation consultant and use this book as a reference when counsoling mothers on weight loss. This is a wonderful book and will be a wonderful benefit for the reader. It helps you plan meals and know how many servings you need to achieve your weight loss goals!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information and support!, June 25, 1999
By A Customer
I bought this book when I nursed my first baby, and now I am reading it again with my second. The author does an excellent job of encouraging the nursing mother to eat nutritious foods, both for her good and her baby's. Sensible food choices are encouraged, and healthy eating is stressed more than dieting. Foods to avoid are listed, along with the reasons to stay away from them. Also, I especially enjoyed the recipes in the last chapter. Very tasty and easy!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy the updated version!, May 9, 2007
Please note how old this edition is (1992!) and choose the updated edition Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding: The Complete Nutrition Book for Nursing Mothers. We've learned a lot about diet, nutrients, and bfing in the last 14+ years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily Understandable and Sensible, January 3, 2003
I never wanted to think too much about what I eat, and I don't care for exercise, but when I gained weight after child #1 and had lower energy levels, despite exclusive nursing, I bought this book for #2. Boy, am I glad I did! With easily liveable tweaks to my normal eating habits, I have been losing weight at a healthy rate of about a pound a week, and I feel better. I have two ways to know my supply isn't compromised: my son is staying at the top of the growth charts, and my daily pumping (in preparation for returning to work) yields a lot.
First, details about the different vitamins and minerals (what they do, where to find them, how much you need) are presented. Then, foods are grouped according to similar nutritional content, and we're told how to eat the right proportions of the groups for our body weights. I learned that just eating healthy foods isn't enough - I have to eat the right amounts of the different foods. For example, fruit is healthy, but if I eat lots of fruits and not enough grains, my body won't get what it needs and I'll still feel hungry and tired. There's a lot more great stuff, too. I only wish this book were updated to reflect current understandings of fats, and included the detail that you can shortchange your daily caloric intake by up to 500 calories/day below your current weight level without triggering your body's hunger reflexes, so you shouldn't try to eat too little.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book!, May 12, 2005
I have been struggling to lose weight while breastfeeding my third child.......with the first two it came off easily..this time (15 years after my second child!) it has been a real struggle. I just recieved this book last week and have not been on the plan for long enough to see any real difference yet,but I feel a boost in my energy level already! This diet follows an exchange diet plan which is the same diet diabetics are taught to follow. It is a sensible and healthy lifestyle change. It requires some time and planning..but is probably one of the most sound nutrition plans out there. Keep in mind that breastfeeding mothers must follow a higher calorie "diet" to meet their own needs while their breastmilk is meeting their baby's needs. The exchange diet is easy to taylor to your needs after you wean the baby by adjusting the number of calories you take in and burn off, so this is an adaptable diet for anyone. You are not "dieting" in the traditional sense of the term........you are eating soundly and sensibly. The weight loss will be "gentle" as the author states. I love this book because it has answers to so many breastfeding mother's concerns. The book also explains the importance of exercizing in the process of losing weight. I hate exercising, but enjoy being active and am reminded that I must do so for any weight loss plan to work. I am regaining the energy (by making nutritional changes the author recommends) that I lost while being on moderate bedrest during a difficult pregnancy, and am confident that I will be successful. There are no gimmicks here......just sound advice. The author lays out some sample menus and there are some great ideas for snacking as well as some really good recipies. I tried the "orange cream" drink and it's really good...tastes just like a creamcicle and it's zip to make. I recommend this book to all breastfeeding moms.......it offers smart advice and is very readable.......the author engages my interest and keeps my attention.

$16.00 $12.95