Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 10, 2011 9:05:05 PM PST
BookLover says:
What does a typical day look like when implementing The Well Trained Mind model? It seems superior to others I've researched, but it also seems like very long days (6 hours). Thank you for ANY insight!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 7:41:32 PM PDT
kalanamak says:
This question is very broad, and the answer would depend on how many children, their ages, and their abilities. In the book, the author compares the average high school week with a public school week, and they are about the same, but indeed one's child would need to already have the mental training to focus during that time, not text friends.

I encourage you to go the message boards at The Well Trained Mind website and read answers to questions just like this, but broken down into age groups. If you have more specific questions, you can join the board and ask away.

Here is my very untypical way of doing it, but I have an only and work full time. I school year round and rarely take a day completely off. For an 8 year old, minimum every month:
3 hours art study or hands on art (usually more than this), 3 hours classical music appreciation, 4 hours grammar, 4 hours spelling, 5 hours writing (which involves reading passages, answering some clarifying questions and then composing a summary), 12-15 hours of math, 8 hours science including a field trip or two every month (and at this age, we are doing mostly hands on science), 6+ hours being read to and questioned on history, about an hour of formal handwriting practice, about 90 minutes of logic puzzlers, 4 hours of fun Latin intro, and as much geography as we can stick in. On top of this, hubby takes kiddo to homeschool gym 4 days a week, and a lot of outdoor activities.

If I can work full time and do this, you can do it, too. I not only have a happy, curious child, I am learning so much as I go along.

HTH.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Mar 10, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 31, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Third Edition)
The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home (Third Edition) by Susan Wise Bauer (Hardcover - May 4, 2009)
4.8 out of 5 stars   (163)