5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best small dog food
I've got a small poodle-mix. I've tried almost every premium food for my dog. With completely grain free foods, I've seen the coat dry out and become dull. Solid Gold produced too much gas. Canidae ALF and grain-free went too stale for her taste in less than two weeks. The other foods I've attempted simply were rejected.

Wellness Small Breed to me is a miracle...
Published on April 29, 2009 by K. Umezu

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mixer with wet foods
My little terrier mix is certainly a picky eater - unless we're out on the sidewalk - where there is nothing, NOTHING he won't turn his nose up at!

Published 23 months ago by William Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best small dog food, April 29, 2009

Wellness Small Breed to me is a miracle. She will even eat it without having to load it up with cheese. Her coat is a shiny silver. She's actually grown a healthy undercoat. Like most little dogs with allergies, I've noticed the eye discharge is minimal compared to other foods.

So for any super-finicky small dog parent, I would definitely recommend this kibble.

5.0 out of 5 stars My picky dogs eats every piece!, June 17, 2009
I have a three year old yorkipoo who has always been extremely picky about his food. We had some success (by "some success" I mean he'd eat half of what he was supposed to) with the Prarie brand by Natures Variety, but he always had runny eye problems and had trouble keeping weight on. My mother's vet recommended the Wellness brand for her dog to lose weight and suggested I try the small breed formula for my picky dog. I'm so glad I tried it! Since switching my dog to the Wellness small breed formula my dog eats every single piece. I don't have to sit there and encourage him to eat. He willingly eats the whole bowl and cannot wait for his next meal. I'm convinced that I could feed him 5 times a day and he'd still eat every last piece because its just that good. I have never seen him so excited to eat! On top of this his coat is as soft as ever and his watery, running, cloudy eyes are completely clear. He has the same amount of small dog energy but doesn't seem as anxious when I leave (apparently filler in dog foods can cause anxiety in sensitive dogs). I'm amazed at how great this product is working for my little man. Highly recommend for those with picky, small breed dogs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent healthy food for your dog!, March 14, 2010
My Shih Tzu's have allergies, they licked and about chewed their paws off. Spent $$$$'s at the vet for pills, shots, etc..I did research and came across Wellness and I am soo happy I did. It is all natural food, no corn, wheat, soy.. No additives.. Small pieces just right for small breeds. I highly recommend it! and so do my babies! They love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best dog food you can buy for the price, June 15, 2011
Kevin (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wellness Dry Dog Food, Adult Small Breed Health Recipe, 12-Pound Bag (Misc.)
Ok let me clarify first of all, why I gave it 4/5 instead of 5/5.

If it were to up to me alone, this food is 5/5.
The ONLY reason why I took 1 star off, is because my dogs hate the taste :(
I have a Pomeranian and a Maltese. Both of them would often just sniff the food, and walk away. They will eventually eat it when they are really hungry, but they just look very disinterested in the food overall. I have the same issue with Blue Buffalo.
However, when I alternate them to Orijen, or Taste of the Wild, or Acana, or Fromm, they pretty much gobble them down instantly. (I tend to alternate around different brands and flavors just to make sure they are not deficient in a specific nutrient/mineral).
This *small* problem is NOT universal. I have friends whose dogs love this food, and I have seen dogs that absolutely won't touch Wellness. Every dog has its preferences, so its best to experiment around.

However, I like feeding my dogs WELLNESS most.
Their poop is solid and doesn't stink, and based upon the ingredients list, it seems really good!
No by-products
No corn
No fillers (well except for tomato pomace, which some people consider it as a filler. I personally don't)
Omega 3 and 6 levels are on the higher side (which is a big plus!) compared to other brands/foods!!! ^_^

I have fed about 2 bags so far, and my dogs haven't had any health problems.

Only thing I wish the product can improve, is to maybe include Chicken Fat, instead of using Canola Oil. That will probably make the taste much better for my dogs making them much more interested in it. Canola oil is a cheaper alternative, but its really not a biggie.

This is definitely something I recommend to include in your feeding rotation!

On the sidenote: if you do not want to risk having a 15 pound bag of food that your dog hates, contact Wellness for a sample! They will send a 4oz packet to you, so you can "test" if your dog likes it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything my little guy needs, September 17, 2010
Amazon Customer (Dover, NH, United States) - See all my reviews
I can't say enough good things about this food. I have a ˝ Pomeranian ˝ Yorkie mix. I don't feed Jake human food and his meals are measured according to his size. As he matured into an adult he started to get blocky looking. His stools were loose and he was constantly eating grass and even other animals fecies. After much research on line I determined that though I thought I was giving him good dog food, I in fact was not. I narrowed it down to this as being the food that I was going to switch him to. The difference is like night and day. He now has the shape that he should Broad in the chest and narrow down through his belly and hind end. He no longer eats grass or other fecies. His coat is softer and his eyes do not water near as much.

I highly recommend this food. As an aside, Holistic bought Wellness. Once I finish this bag of food I am going to switch Jake to Holistic, not because Wellness is not excellent but because Holistic is one step above and they now have Small Breed food. It is important if you have a small dog that you feed them food specially for small breeds. The little ones need more protein and fiber because of the energy that they expend.

Switch your dog to this or Holistic and you will not regret it. You will see a change in less than a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's licking the bowl twice a day!!, May 12, 2011
I have been trying to find a nutritious food for my picky 6 pound, 1 year old, terrier/poodle/mutt and runt of the litter. Went through Puppy Chow, generic puppy chow, and Iams and then I started reading up on dog foods- and boy, did I learn a lot! No more grocery store food unless it is an "emergency" where getting online is not possible or we run out before the shipment arrives. That stuff is pure crap.

We then went through a bag of Orijen, which I think is an excellent food, but not for her. She would eat it with toppings only and rarely ate all of it. Stools were often loose- not to mention the gas.

A tiny dog can only eat about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food per day so he/she needs to eat it all and it needs to be packed with nutrition. Back to the drawing board since the Orijen didn't work!

Next we tried the Wellness Super5Mix Adult Small Breed. She eats every bite and licks the dish and sometimes wants an evening snack of the plain Wellness kibble. She eats it without any topping but I do usually mix in a TBS of wet food (or cottage cheese) which Wellness recommends in order to give the dog a bit of extra fluid. We live in the desert, so that's important. Anyway, she REALLY loves that! She has cleaned her plate twice daily ever since I started her on this wonderful food. The stools are formed and no gas.

It seems to be the perfect food for her- and maybe for other dogs too which is why I am writing this. It is such a relief to see her eating a good nutritious dog food and enjoying it.

I would definitely give it a try if your dog has "pickyness"/appetite/digestion issues, or if you just want to provide 4 star nutrition. It costs more than the grocery store stuff, but a small dog doesn't eat much so I make it fit into my budget. I try to include it in with the occasional larger Amazon order and get free shipping. It may be available in pet stores as well, but I have to go 15-20 miles out of town to find a pet store, so ordering online is easier.

I highly recommend trying this food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!!!, August 8, 2012
saundra badger (NOBLESVILLE, INDIANA, US) - See all my reviews
I went online and did some research on dry dog foods. I thought of course that I just had to have a 5 star food. What I now know is that tons of protein is not always the best for every breed. I started my three little dogs cavapoo 15 lbs cavachon 12 lb yorkie 5 lbs on Wellness Core which is I'm sure a wonderful food but the protein is rated at 36% which turned out to be far to rich for my little dogs. After talking with the breeder of my yorkie she explained that too much protein in some breeds can be taxing on the liver and kidneys. I saw this in my dogs right away so I knew I had to make a quick change. I definately wanted to eliminate the gas and copious amount of poop do to the protein content so I checked with the other foods made by Wellness and found that the simple five mix has a lot of the same wonderful ingredients as the Core but with a much more practical protein content for my dogs life style at 28%. The results were amazing, immediately I saw a reduction in the amount of poop fewer times outside as well. Everybody seems happier and life is easier with all three dogs on the same kibble. I'm THRILLED. Thank You WELLNESS. I would strongly recommend this product. One more side note...I really appreciate the promise made by Wellness on the front of the bag. IT STATES: NO meat by products corn or soy and so on. Check it out for yourself you will be glad you did:)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great mixer with wet foods, October 17, 2012
William Smith (SAN FRANCISCO, CA, US) - See all my reviews

I've discovered he will gobble this up if I mix a handful of this dry mix with a tablespoon of the wet food also by Wellness Wellness Canned Dog Food for Adult Dogs, Turkey and Sweet Potato Recipe, 12-Pack of 12-1/2-Ounce Cans... and maybe as a special little treat some cooked chicken or ham. It sometimes helps to give it 15 seconds in the microwave to release some of the smells and its seems to stimulate his appetite somewhat.

It definitely feels like it's good for his energy and digestion. We were having problems with his previous diet - without being too graphic - to our GREAT relief, he's now never gassy and it's much easier to pick up after he's 'done his business'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down one of the best foods on the market today, February 27, 2009
I have two Basenjis both of who are under breed weight/size and who have corn allergies. I cannot stress enough how awesome this food has been for them. Their appetites are up, they are putting on weight, they have more energy where their other food (which was also on the Top Ten Dog Foods List) made them sluggish and caused one to lick a hole in herself. This food has given me my girls back and I recommend it highly to anyone who has issues with small breeds with allergies. I could go on and on about the differences but honestly, buy a bag and try it. There is nothing I can say that you won't see for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars My dog likes dinner again!, December 4, 2011
I have 2 dogs. One that will eat anything, and one that is very picky. I tried a bunch of other brands but the picky one would never like eating. I finally found the best food, this brand! He will devour this like no other.

Since starting this food, I have also noticed the dogs are less itchy and in general are healthier. This is much better than my previous brand, Eukanuba.

Wellness  Dry Dog Food, Adult Small Breed Health Recipe, 12-Pound Bag