5.0 out of 5 stars Best dog food ever!
Since switching to Core my dog no longer has any sign of the skin or digestive problems that have plagued him for years!
Published on December 14, 2008 by S. Jurado

2.0 out of 5 stars moldy
Published on September 16, 2010 by Roberta G. Macler

5.0 out of 5 stars Best dog food ever!, December 14, 2008
This review is from: Wellness CORE Original Formula Dry Dog, 26-Pound Bag (Misc.)

2.0 out of 5 stars moldy, September 16, 2010
I have used Wellness Core for a long time. I did a lot of research before choosing it. However after getting a new bag that was moldy I started doing some research. The company has been bought out and many many consumers have complaints about the quality control of the food now and in some cases their dogs have been getting sick on it. I am not saying not to buy it but just beware that it is not the same company anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars great food, August 14, 2010
My dog and foster dogs have done well on this food. It is the best priced quality grain free food there is to my knowledge. Amazon's price beats my local stores (including Petco when you factor in the sales tax I pay when I buy in the store). As an Amazon prime customer I was thrilled to see this included in free 2 day shipping- absolutely can't beat this deal!
Amazon shipped it in a cardboard box about the same size as the bag and it arrived with the box looking quite the worse for wear. Since Wellness comes in a Mylar bag the bag itself was fine and I was home so brought it right in. If you were not going to be home when this was delivered and your deliveries are left outside I would be concerned about other animals getting to it. Even with the Mylar bag my dog can rip into this in no time flat and racoons and rats (I live next to a wooded area!) love dog food! Probably not a big deal mid-day but just something to consider. I would not buy food that ships in a paper bag from Amazon- at least not a larger bag (>15lbs) but that is just my experience/opinion. I am thrilled that amazon offers this and would order again from them but will make sure I am home when it is to be delivered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wellness, Indeed!, July 20, 2011
Upon researching dog health I was appalled to discover that most dog foods (especially the most popular brands) use grains (as their main ingredients) and fillers. I then found a few lists of "five-star" dog foods, compared them, and chose to give Wellness CORE a try.

Admittedly it is much more expensive than the popular commercial brand we had been using but,"according to the web site of one of the most popular brands of dog food sold in the U.S., the feeding instructions tell you that a thirty pound dog would need to eat around three cups of food per day. The cost of this pet food breaks down to being about $.67 per cup. So that means Fido would eat $2.01 worth of dog food each day according to the recommended feeding instructions on the label.

But on the other hand, from a web site of a high end, all human grade ingredients, all U.S. ingredients dog food -- the feeding instructions tell you that a thirty pound dog would need to eat around 1 ˝ cups of food per day. The cost of this food is about $1.16 per cup. This food seems to be about twice as expensive as the popular brand. However, according to the recommended feeding amount, Fido would eat $1.74 worth of dog food each day. That's a savings of $.27 per day to feed your dog a high quality, human grade ingredients, no risky imports dog food." [[....]]

It's true! My dogs eat half of what they used to and their bowel movements have also decreased by half. (I read that because the good foods contain the true nutritional needs of a dog as opposed to the bad foods that are relatively low in delivering their nutritional needs that dogs would "go" less frequently by feeding them a good food. This is because dogs would expel the unneeded grains and fillers in the bad food more often). I walk and feed my dogs in the morning and in the evening and both dogs would "go" 2-4 times between both walks and both meals. Now my 60 lb pit mix "goes" just once daily and my 20 lb terrier/lab mix "goes" just twice.

I also read that bad foods contributed to a dogs allergies and bloating. My pit mix would have these huge disgusting "eye boogers" all day long no matter how often I'd wipe his face and my terrier mix had these dark (his coat is a sandy color) tear stains from his constantly watering eyes. Not anymore! The "eye boogies" have disappeared and the tear stains are gone! Although I never noticed any bloating in my little dog I did notice that my muscular pit mix had a "fat" stomach. Needless to say that is gone as well!

Lastly, I noticed that both dogs have been shedding less and that their coats are so much softer and shinier. What pleasant surprises! Having a skeptical demeanor it's actually VERY surprising to me that there have been so many benefits to purchasing a quality food. I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase! Thumbs up Wellness Core!

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT Produced at Diamond - Do Not be "Conned" by Other Reviewers, June 26, 2012
This is a great dog food and our dogs do very well on it. Particularly, no gassiness as with some other brands. Another reviewer mistakenly said that this food was made by Diamond Pet Foods, who have been experiencing product recalls. I took the time to email Wellness and asked them if this Core Dry dog food is produced at Diamond Pet Foods. Here is their official response: "CORE was never made at Diamond. We have spent the last 2 years expanding production at our Mishawaka, Indiana facility to bring the majority of our production into our own WellPet facilities. Our facility includes a state-of-the-art onsite quality and safety laboratory and advanced extrusion systems all designed to produce the most nutritious, high-quality natural pet food possible, with a focus on food safety and compliance with regulations. Our goal is to have all of our dry food made in Mishawaka buy the end of 2012. If the CORE is not made at Mishawaka it is made at American Nutrition or Vitaline."

So do not be duped by ignorant reviewers who are quick to spread misinformation and do not take the time to back up what they are saying. I hope everyone who has second thoughts now has them dispelled.

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Dog food ever., June 3, 2010
We switched from wellness puppy to wellness core and our boxers just love the taste. It not only has great taste, but the ingredients are pure and so healthy for dogs. We noticed a signifiant decrease to their flatulance and their coats are so shiny! Definately recommend to anyone who considers their dogs health above a bargain priced dog food at the supermarket.

Update 3 August 2011
** Although the food is still fantastic, the last three orders I've purchased through Amazon have resulted in bags that were partially sliced open and leaking kibble all throughout the inside of the shipping box. The first two times I thought it was just a coincidence, no big deal. But this has become a recurring problem and it poses health concerns for my dogs now. Since I love amazon, I'm willing to try it one more time however if it happens again, I'll be searching for my food elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dogs love it, June 28, 2010
My Boxers had HORRIBLE gas while on Science Diet & Royal Canin Boxer Formula. I switched to Wellness CORE & now there is no more gas. Their coats are nice & soft, they have lots of energy, they enjoy eating it, and I can breathe freely. :o)

I highly recommend this dog food.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product for dogs that can handle the high protein, September 11, 2012
In short, our experience has been that this is awesome food for adult years.
Two dogs:
Male GSD on Core from five years old to 10-1/2 years old.
Female Rottie, On a mix of 1ea 26lbs bag Core and 1ea 35lbs bag Canidae All Life Stages formula at five years old, still on it at seven years old.

All dogs are different, so your results may vary.

Took a bit more than 9 days for a smooth transition for the GSD, with a bit of loose stool during the transition (off Purina One).
The Rottie, had no problems, and made the switch in an easy 7 days.
For the GSD senior years, it is too much protein.
GSD eats about 2.5 cups a day.
Rottie eats over 4 cups a day.

Fed Super-Mutt (the GSD) on this for about 7 years, until he was 10-1/2. He did great on it for all that time. Great coat, firm stool, easy to maintain weight, and great blood tests at his yearly check-ups. We were extremely active, with daily runs and walks, play at the park, etc. But digestibility was always a bit on the low side. If I cut the volume of food down, he would loose weight before any noticeable decrease in stool size.
I could also use the kibble for training, as he really liked the flavor.

My Girl Friend's Rottie is on a mix of this with Canidae All Life Stages. She is a high drive, work-aholic! Honest, you would be hard pressed to find a more active dog. She does amazingly well on this. Stunningly beautiful coat, great digestibility, easily maintained weight. She has been on this mix for about 2 years now, and she is seven. No kidney issues with high protein, but we will watch as she ages. Her focus, and attention seems more rock solid too on this mix...

At Super-Mutts yearly check-up (when he was 10-1/2) we noticed kidney functions were out of whack. So as a test I switched him to a senior food (Chicken Soup for the Soul), this is much lower protein. This change brought his kidney functions back to normal, and digestibility is better. So he is enjoying his senior years on "senior food".
Hth,

5.0 out of 5 stars This food rocks for our pooches!, September 5, 2011
We've been using Wellness CORE Grain-free (original) dry dog food for several years and it really shows! We began a grain free diet with one of our dogs about 15 years ago due to seasonal allergies (the vet had actually recommended going grain free). There are other really great brands of grain free out there, however, we've just stayed with Wellness CORE because it works. We get so many compliments one how our dogs have super soft, shiny coats and their eyes are clear and bright. They love their CORE and we only feed them dry. It is so worth the extra cost to feed a high quality dog food ~ grain free or not. Their bellies are full with great food ~ no additives, by products, etc. Both dogs that we originally started on CORE have since passed...but lived to the ripe old age of 17 and 19. Hopefully, our two current dogs (7 years and 9 months) will do the same! Highly recommend this food.

5.0 out of 5 stars By Far The Best Dog Food On The Market, December 23, 2012
I own a White German Sheppard Puppy and a Pomeranian Chihuahua mix. They are both full of energy! My Pom-Chi started developing an allergy about a year ago. She was chewing and licking her little feet raw! We tried everything! Took her to the vet multiple times who put her on steroids, antibiotics and gave us cleansing pads we changed her food 4 times and finally started keeping booties on her feet when she went outside... NOTHING work. It was absolutely heartbreaking.

We picked up our second dog (the White German Sheppard) and the breeder recommended Wellness for both dogs. It has been two months and my dog's paws are completely healed. She no longer bites or licks them. I was incredibly impressed with the quality of this food.

The first ingredient in this dog food ingredient list is as follows;

1. Turkey
2. Turkey meal- meat concentrate of sorts with more protein then fresh turkey
3. Chicken Meal
4. Peas - a good source of fiber
5. Potato - a good gluten-free source of carbs
6. Dried Potato - contains more protein
7. Chicken Fat - in linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid
8. Tomato Pomace - This one is high in fiber but, many think it's a cheap food filler
9. Chicken Liver
This food is loaded with other great ingredients like salmon oil, flaxseed, carrots, sweet potatoes, kale, broccoli, spinach, parsley, apples and blueberries

All in all this is a top quality grain free food.

***Added bonus*** This is human grade so if you're ever looking for a snack... ;)

Wellness CORE Original Formula Dry Dog, 26-Pound Bag