1,319 Reviews
 (1,079)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pacreatitis-friendly!
I'll start with the long story, but you can skip to the bottom for the quick version... I happen to like listening to stories, and gathering information from reviews, so I suppose I should allow others to do the same with mine!
Published on February 13, 2013 by SkiSweetly

2.0 out of 5 stars moldy
Published on September 16, 2010 by Roberta G. Macler

5.0 out of 5 stars Pacreatitis-friendly!, February 13, 2013
A little over a year ago we adopted a beautifully chubby (75#), wonderfully sweet, low maintenance (5yrs old and very mellow) pit-bull from our local kennel. She seemed pretty hearty and easy going, so we were in LOVE. One month later, we were still in love, but we were out $2K and giving our pretty girl sub-q fluids twice a day to keep her hydrated while she recovered from a horrible pancreatic attack. Apparently, all of the love (treats) and training (treats) we were giving to her, combined with what we thought was the best food we for our budget and her taste buds (Pedigree), caused her to have an acute attack. According to the vet, this wasn't her first, and every subsequent attack would be worse, eventually causing her constant pain from her organs being "digested." If we notice her starting to exhibit any signs of discomfort, she should get a prilosec and skip a meal or two. After hearing all of that, I did what any loving mother would do, I turned to Google! What I found was very different from what the local high end pet food boutiques told me, and pretty different from the vet-pushed Science Diet that they wanted me to feed her. Protein is NOT the issue, fat is. Dogs need protein, but sometimes they need it in different ways, and dogs with pancreatitis need to never eat anything with a crude fat max of more than 5-7%
We tried different foods, spent money on broken promises, subjected our poor sweet marshmallow to more than one tester tummyache, and finally found this.

The reduced fat, grain-free Wellness has kept us out of the vets office, and showed us the true personality of our adopted dog. Before we learned of her condition, she was always a little "depressed." She was slow-moving, slept often, didn't play very much, and sometimes ignored her food. She's still one of the cuddliest and laziest dogs I know, but she's so much more playful and energetic after we learned how to treat her! She has not lost weight, but for us, that's not why we bought this food. She is a bit leaner, but I think that's because she plays tug every night that she isn't feeling bad! Yes, it is more expensive than the stuff you get at the grocery store, but it has saved us cash and peace of mind with our situation. I know my dog isn't the only one with pancreatitis, and I know that it can be a struggle to find something that works and fits into your lifestyle, while giving your dog what he/she needs.

Ok, so that was a lot, but basically, this food has allowed us to find a way to nourish our dog with real food without compromising her digestive condition. It isn't the food that she loved the most, but she certainly does like it. It has helped her to the point that we can even give her a treat or two every day (sweet potatoes or a piece of dried duck jerky). Try it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best dog food ever!, December 14, 2008
This review is from: Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Original Recipe, 26-Pound Bag (Misc.)
Since switching to Core my dog no longer has any sign of the skin or digestive problems that have plagued him for years!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wellness, Indeed!, July 20, 2011
Upon researching dog health I was appalled to discover that most dog foods (especially the most popular brands) use grains (as their main ingredients) and fillers. I then found a few lists of "five-star" dog foods, compared them, and chose to give Wellness CORE a try.

Admittedly it is much more expensive than the popular commercial brand we had been using but,"according to the web site of one of the most popular brands of dog food sold in the U.S., the feeding instructions tell you that a thirty pound dog would need to eat around three cups of food per day. The cost of this pet food breaks down to being about $.67 per cup. So that means Fido would eat $2.01 worth of dog food each day according to the recommended feeding instructions on the label.

But on the other hand, from a web site of a high end, all human grade ingredients, all U.S. ingredients dog food -- the feeding instructions tell you that a thirty pound dog would need to eat around 1 ˝ cups of food per day. The cost of this food is about $1.16 per cup. This food seems to be about twice as expensive as the popular brand. However, according to the recommended feeding amount, Fido would eat $1.74 worth of dog food each day. That's a savings of $.27 per day to feed your dog a high quality, human grade ingredients, no risky imports dog food." [[....]]

It's true! My dogs eat half of what they used to and their bowel movements have also decreased by half. (I read that because the good foods contain the true nutritional needs of a dog as opposed to the bad foods that are relatively low in delivering their nutritional needs that dogs would "go" less frequently by feeding them a good food. This is because dogs would expel the unneeded grains and fillers in the bad food more often). I walk and feed my dogs in the morning and in the evening and both dogs would "go" 2-4 times between both walks and both meals. Now my 60 lb pit mix "goes" just once daily and my 20 lb terrier/lab mix "goes" just twice.

I also read that bad foods contributed to a dogs allergies and bloating. My pit mix would have these huge disgusting "eye boogers" all day long no matter how often I'd wipe his face and my terrier mix had these dark (his coat is a sandy color) tear stains from his constantly watering eyes. Not anymore! The "eye boogies" have disappeared and the tear stains are gone! Although I never noticed any bloating in my little dog I did notice that my muscular pit mix had a "fat" stomach. Needless to say that is gone as well!

Lastly, I noticed that both dogs have been shedding less and that their coats are so much softer and shinier. What pleasant surprises! Having a skeptical demeanor it's actually VERY surprising to me that there have been so many benefits to purchasing a quality food. I couldn't be more pleased with this purchase! Thumbs up Wellness Core!

5.0 out of 5 stars great food, August 14, 2010
My dog and foster dogs have done well on this food. It is the best priced quality grain free food there is to my knowledge. Amazon's price beats my local stores (including Petco when you factor in the sales tax I pay when I buy in the store). As an Amazon prime customer I was thrilled to see this included in free 2 day shipping- absolutely can't beat this deal!
Amazon shipped it in a cardboard box about the same size as the bag and it arrived with the box looking quite the worse for wear. Since Wellness comes in a Mylar bag the bag itself was fine and I was home so brought it right in. If you were not going to be home when this was delivered and your deliveries are left outside I would be concerned about other animals getting to it. Even with the Mylar bag my dog can rip into this in no time flat and racoons and rats (I live next to a wooded area!) love dog food! Probably not a big deal mid-day but just something to consider. I would not buy food that ships in a paper bag from Amazon- at least not a larger bag (>15lbs) but that is just my experience/opinion. I am thrilled that amazon offers this and would order again from them but will make sure I am home when it is to be delivered.

2.0 out of 5 stars moldy, September 16, 2010
I have used Wellness Core for a long time. I did a lot of research before choosing it. However after getting a new bag that was moldy I started doing some research. The company has been bought out and many many consumers have complaints about the quality control of the food now and in some cases their dogs have been getting sick on it. I am not saying not to buy it but just beware that it is not the same company anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Confident giving this to my dog, January 27, 2010
After careful research on the best dry food for my dog's diet, I chose Wellness Core Reduced Fat. My mixed breed dog is low energy and has a tendency to put weight on easily. It was very difficult to find a dog food that does not compromise quality ingredients to make a food low fat. Since my dog is low energy (by no means a sled dog), her diet does not require her to have extreme protein intake. This food is the prefect balance of protein, quality meat sources, fat content, as well as important sources of fruits and vegetables and fish oils. Her eyes are bright and coat is shiny. While she hasn't lost any weight, she hasn't gained any either, which is a good thing!

You get what you pay for when it comes to dog food. When purchasing this brand, one is paying for high quality food (meat content, veggies, fruits) without fillers or extreme levels of protein.

For a more comprehensive analysis of dog food, check out [...].

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled by other premium brands., August 23, 2013
I recently bought a Toy Yorkie, this will be my third fur baby. I brought her home and slowly switched her over to Royal Canin for Yorkshire Terrier puppies. Within a week her eyes were tearing so bad I was washing her face in the morning and at night.

A few days later she started developing bad constipation and would cry when she had to poo. I took her to the vet and got no help, since they endorse Royal Canin and Eukanuba, breed specific formula's. I got a second, third and fourth opinion and they all recommended switching to a hypoallergenic food/grain free. Been there, done that... It didn't work.

I finally found a holistic vet that recommended Wellness Core because it did not contain Beet Pulp. She stated that beet pulp is used as a filler/stool hardener and is found in most premium brands. It can cause tear staining and other digestive problems. Out of curiosity I headed to my local PetsMart to look at ingredients in all the premium dog foods. Sure enough beet pulp was found in all of them. Out of 20+ varieties of puppy food I only found 3 foods that contained no beet pulp.

I bought a small bag to try for month. Her constipation was gone the first week. The watery eyes totally stopped around the third week. I was terrified I bought a sick puppy, since she was Toy and inherently can have a lot of heath problems. It has been 2 months since I switched her to Core. She is healthy, playful and full of energy. Her silky coat is gorgeous and no longer dry and brittle.

After spending 300+ dollars on vet bills. It was a very hard lesson, learned. I have switched all my dogs over to Core and they all seem to have more energy, clear eyes and a healthy coat.

I am grateful Amazon carries the large bag since it is a huge savings compared to the price at any chain pet store.

I will continue to buy this product and recommend it to any new puppy owners.

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT Produced at Diamond - Do Not be "Conned" by Other Reviewers, June 26, 2012
This is a great dog food and our dogs do very well on it. Particularly, no gassiness as with some other brands. Another reviewer mistakenly said that this food was made by Diamond Pet Foods, who have been experiencing product recalls. I took the time to email Wellness and asked them if this Core Dry dog food is produced at Diamond Pet Foods. Here is their official response: "CORE was never made at Diamond. We have spent the last 2 years expanding production at our Mishawaka, Indiana facility to bring the majority of our production into our own WellPet facilities. Our facility includes a state-of-the-art onsite quality and safety laboratory and advanced extrusion systems all designed to produce the most nutritious, high-quality natural pet food possible, with a focus on food safety and compliance with regulations. Our goal is to have all of our dry food made in Mishawaka buy the end of 2012. If the CORE is not made at Mishawaka it is made at American Nutrition or Vitaline."

So do not be duped by ignorant reviewers who are quick to spread misinformation and do not take the time to back up what they are saying. I hope everyone who has second thoughts now has them dispelled.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great dog food. Palatable & good ingredients!, July 30, 2011
Kevin (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
Few things good about this product:
1. Made by Wellness. No recalls of any kind thus far. I am really paranoid about having a sick pet with a 3-4 figured vet bill, so that is something I look out for a lot.
2. Ingredients is a lot better than most foods.
3. Palatable. My dog kinda hates Wellness but would eat down Wellness Core products literally right away.
4. High Fiber. 7% if I am not wrong. What made me try this food was that my dog had constantly soft stools at one point in time. So I saw the high fiber percentage, and I decided to try this out. My dog had really solid poop after that! It helped a lot for me so hopefully will be the same for you.
5. Relatively reasonably priced. About $1.80/pound.
6. No ethoxyquin preservative used.

Way(s) this product is "sub-par" compared to the "very top" products. (This is really no biggie at all, but I just decided to write this because for some it might be an issue)
1. Dried varieties of certain products as opposed to fresh ones, such as dried ground potato instead of fresh ones.
2. Canola oil used instead of salmon oil which is a cost cutting measure used by the company. Dogs can't digest canola oil so the omega levels provided by it are pretty much just for marketing purposes only.

Overall, I wouldn't really be concerned with the "cons" of the product if you even consider it as a con to start with.
This is a really good product that is priced pretty reasonable for its quality.
I would feel safe about feeding my dog this based upon the manufacturer's reputation of not having any recalls in its history.

Hope this helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars Best Dog food ever., June 3, 2010
We switched from wellness puppy to wellness core and our boxers just love the taste. It not only has great taste, but the ingredients are pure and so healthy for dogs. We noticed a signifiant decrease to their flatulance and their coats are so shiny! Definately recommend to anyone who considers their dogs health above a bargain priced dog food at the supermarket.

Update 3 August 2011
** Although the food is still fantastic, the last three orders I've purchased through Amazon have resulted in bags that were partially sliced open and leaking kibble all throughout the inside of the shipping box. The first two times I thought it was just a coincidence, no big deal. But this has become a recurring problem and it poses health concerns for my dogs now. Since I love amazon, I'm willing to try it one more time however if it happens again, I'll be searching for my food elsewhere.

Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food, Original Recipe, 26-Pound Bag