1,746
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food, Small Breed Turkey and Oatmeal Recipe, 12-Pound Bag
Flavor Name: Small Breed Turkey & Oatmeal RecipeSize: 12-Pound BagChange
Price:$28.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I've got a small poodle-mix. I've tried almost every premium food for my dog. With completely grain free foods, I've seen the coat dry out and become dull. Solid Gold produced too much gas. Canidae ALF and grain-free went too stale for her taste in less than two weeks. The other foods I've attempted simply were rejected.

Wellness Small Breed to me is a miracle. She will even eat it without having to load it up with cheese. Her coat is a shiny silver. She's actually grown a healthy undercoat. Like most little dogs with allergies, I've noticed the eye discharge is minimal compared to other foods.

So for any super-finicky small dog parent, I would definitely recommend this kibble.
on September 8, 2007
Pet guardians, please take the time to educate yourselves on what goes into your pet's food. That initiative will give them the gift of a longer, healthier life, eliminate many chronic health issues that pets face, save you money in vet bills in the long run... the list of benefits goes on and on.

I have done extensive research on canine and feline nutrition and I highly recommend, if you are going to feed commercial food, Welless, California Naturals or Innova. For a great complete meal, I give my dogs all one of those dry foods mixed with a little bit of canned from the same brands, water for hydration, a touch of a good quality essential oil (such as olive, flax, etc.), a touch of powdered kelp and alfalfa, a splash of organic apple cider vinegar, Prozyme digestive enzymes to unlock the nutrients in all that good food and top with a dollop of plain yogurt. It sounds like a lot, but it takes me less than 5 minutes to assemble the meals for 6 dogs - and they are ridiculously healthy an full of energy, even our 3 seniors who are 11, 12 and 13. I have two seniors with heart murmurs and at our most recent vet check, my dog with the worst heart murmur, a 12 year old beagle that I love desperately, had a 2-grade improvement in condition severity - that is HUGE. Good nutrition makes all the difference!
on May 30, 2011
Back Story: I adopted a border collie from the pound and kept her on the same dog food she was getting there, which was IAMS Puppy. She had terribly smelly and often very loose stool, including occasional diarrhea which made both of us miserable. She started wanting to go outside to eat grass, so I knew something was wrong in her tummy.

I decided to switch dog foods and started doing some research. Looking over ingredients, figuring out the price per day of food for different brands, etc...

I found that as far as ingredients, the food appears to be very high quality. More meat, less filler, more quality ingredients. As far as pricing, this food came out to about $1.02 per day, whereas IAMS was only about $0.50 per day. Definitely a big price difference, but hopefully it will prove worth it for my puppy's health. I also looked at Innova puppy which looked comparable and came out to about $0.96 per day.

1 DAY: I brought the bag home and even before opening it she showed marked interest in it's contents. I opened up the bag and she started chewing on the cut away strip of bag; it was obvious she loved the taste.

**Big point in this 30 pound bag's favor, it is resealable.

I mixed a handful into her IAMS and she was much more eager to dig in. For now, this looks promising, though costly. Resealable bag, quality ingredients, puppy likes the taste, twice the cost of IAMS.
Based on day 1: 3/5 stars.

1 WEEK: She has now worked her way to all Wellness; she hasn't had any diarrhea and her stool and smell seem to have improved. The resealable bag still seals. Based on the apparent improvement in her bowel functions I would rate wellness 4/5 stars.

Hopefully there will be even more improvement after she has been on Wellness for a month and away from whatever was making her ill in Iams. I am guessing it may have been a food allergy.

1 MONTH: Diarrhea recurred several times, so it didn't turn out to be a miracle cure food. Bag still reseals. Stool/gas smells worlds better than before.

What it boils down to is:

+Higher Quality Ingredients than most brands
+Resealable Bag
+Significant Reduction in smell of stool/gas from Iams
-Twice the cost of Iams

Final Rating
4/5

Update: I've worked my way through the bag now and I also narrowed down what was causing her loose stool/diarrhea after a particularly bad day. She would refuse to drink water until I offered her my bottled water; she is now on purified water and wellness dog food and her stool has firmed up, not a single day of irregularity since.

Oh, and the resealable seal still seals; down to the last kibble.
on May 21, 2013
I've received several bags of this dog food from Amazon for awhile now because I am disabled - and having it shipped to my home is helpful. I am very pleased with the quick delivery - no problems there.

However, one time recently I needed to buy a bag locally and I was stunned at how fresh the dog food was compared to the food sent through Amazon. The Amazon dog food is very dried out and the bottom of the bag is always full of dust and crumbs.

Due to how expensive this brand of dog food is, I expect to get a good quality. I hope Amazon will look into this problem.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have two large dogs, one a yellow lab, and the other a lab/dalmation mix. Both of these were on prescription foods(not the same, so quite costly), one had been treated for bladder stones, the other had pancreatitis. I tried Wellness and they have both never looked so good,and been so healthy. No recurring health problems which were a constant worry, and the best part they know can eat the same mix.

Terri W.(Augie&Dusty's mom)
on June 18, 2009
I have a three year old yorkipoo who has always been extremely picky about his food. We had some success (by "some success" I mean he'd eat half of what he was supposed to) with the Prarie brand by Natures Variety, but he always had runny eye problems and had trouble keeping weight on. My mother's vet recommended the Wellness brand for her dog to lose weight and suggested I try the small breed formula for my picky dog. I'm so glad I tried it! Since switching my dog to the Wellness small breed formula my dog eats every single piece. I don't have to sit there and encourage him to eat. He willingly eats the whole bowl and cannot wait for his next meal. I'm convinced that I could feed him 5 times a day and he'd still eat every last piece because its just that good. I have never seen him so excited to eat! On top of this his coat is as soft as ever and his watery, running, cloudy eyes are completely clear. He has the same amount of small dog energy but doesn't seem as anxious when I leave (apparently filler in dog foods can cause anxiety in sensitive dogs). I'm amazed at how great this product is working for my little man. Highly recommend for those with picky, small breed dogs.
on August 2, 2012
We've been buying this exact formula of Wellness for our Cocker Spaniel "Lucy" for over a year now. We thought that it would be worth purchasing on Amazon since it was priced almost identically and it would be more convenient than going to Petsmart since it would be delivered to our front door. We didn't receive the food for well over a week after we ordered it so we were forced to buy a small bag at the store until we received the food. No big deal...we figured next time we'll just order it a couple of weeks in advance so that Lucy's food supply isn't as low and we have plenty until we get the next bag. After feeding her two meals of the bag we got from Amazon, Lucy started having violent diarrhea. I'm familiar with the fact that changing foods can cause an upset stomach with dogs but this is the exact same food we have been feeding her for a very long time.....or so we thought. We knew that the only thing that changed in Lucy's diet was the fact that we ordered the food from Amazon. So we went and bought another small bag of the same stuff from Petsmart. Much to our disappointment, there was an obvious difference in the appearance of the food. The bag from Amazon had chunks that were misshaped, very porous and even smelled different. Our conclusion was that Amazon received the reject bags at a discount and sold them as the same product. We then stopped feeding Lucy the Amazon bag and switched her back to the store bought bag. Immediately her bowls improved. Although we were refunded for our purchase we had to jump through a few hoops that weren't worth the time we wasted to do so. Please reconsider before you purchase this food. Wellness is an Amazing product and we're proud to feed our little Lucy the best food that we possibly can but this is not up to the quality that Wellness is known for. I'm going to post pics of both the Amazon bought food and the Store bought food so that you can see the difference.
review image
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 16, 2011
Ok let me clarify first of all, why I gave it 4/5 instead of 5/5.

If it were to up to me alone, this food is 5/5.
The ONLY reason why I took 1 star off, is because my dogs hate the taste :(
I have a Pomeranian and a Maltese. Both of them would often just sniff the food, and walk away. They will eventually eat it when they are really hungry, but they just look very disinterested in the food overall. I have the same issue with Blue Buffalo.
However, when I alternate them to Orijen, or Taste of the Wild, or Acana, or Fromm, they pretty much gobble them down instantly. (I tend to alternate around different brands and flavors just to make sure they are not deficient in a specific nutrient/mineral).
This *small* problem is NOT universal. I have friends whose dogs love this food, and I have seen dogs that absolutely won't touch Wellness. Every dog has its preferences, so its best to experiment around.

However, I like feeding my dogs WELLNESS most.
Their poop is solid and doesn't stink, and based upon the ingredients list, it seems really good!
No by-products
No corn
No fillers (well except for tomato pomace, which some people consider it as a filler. I personally don't)
Omega 3 and 6 levels are on the higher side (which is a big plus!) compared to other brands/foods!!! ^_^

I have fed about 2 bags so far, and my dogs haven't had any health problems.

Only thing I wish the product can improve, is to maybe include Chicken Fat, instead of using Canola Oil. That will probably make the taste much better for my dogs making them much more interested in it. Canola oil is a cheaper alternative, but its really not a biggie.

This is definitely something I recommend to include in your feeding rotation!

On the sidenote: if you do not want to risk having a 15 pound bag of food that your dog hates, contact Wellness for a sample! They will send a 4oz packet to you, so you can "test" if your dog likes it.
on March 14, 2010
My Shih Tzu's have allergies, they licked and about chewed their paws off. Spent $$$$'s at the vet for pills, shots, etc..I did research and came across Wellness and I am soo happy I did. It is all natural food, no corn, wheat, soy.. No additives.. Small pieces just right for small breeds. I highly recommend it! and so do my babies! They love it!
on September 8, 2007

I have done extensive research on canine and feline nutrition and I highly recommend, if you are going to feed commercial food, Welless, California Naturals or Innova. For a great complete meal, I give my dogs all one of those dry foods mixed with a little bit of canned from the same brands, water for hydration, a touch of a good quality essential oil (such as olive, flax, etc.), a touch of powdered kelp and alfalfa, a splash of organic apple cider vinegar, Prozyme digestive enzymes to unlock the nutrients in all that good food and top with a dollop of plain yogurt. It sounds like a lot, but it takes me less than 5 minutes to assemble the meals for 6 dogs - and they are ridiculously healthy an full of energy, even our 3 seniors who are 11, 12 and 13. I have two seniors with heart murmurs and at our most recent vet check, my dog with the worst heart murmur, a 12 year old beagle that I love desperately, had a 2-grade improvement in condition severity - that is HUGE. Good nutrition makes all the difference and, as an added bonus, I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't like it! My only quibble with the senior formulation of this great food is that it is very dry - I really do recommend that you add at least a touch of a good oil and water to it to prevent dry skin - dogs get most of their hydration from food.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations