1,638
Wellness Complete Health Natural Dry Dog Food, Small Breed Turkey and Oatmeal Recipe, 12-Pound Bag
Flavor Name: Small Breed Turkey & Oatmeal RecipeSize Name: 12-Pound BagChange
Price:$30.49 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I've got a small poodle-mix. I've tried almost every premium food for my dog. With completely grain free foods, I've seen the coat dry out and become dull. Solid Gold produced too much gas. Canidae ALF and grain-free went too stale for her taste in less than two weeks. The other foods I've attempted simply were rejected.

Wellness Small Breed to me is a miracle. She will even eat it without having to load it up with cheese. Her coat is a shiny silver. She's actually grown a healthy undercoat. Like most little dogs with allergies, I've noticed the eye discharge is minimal compared to other foods.

So for any super-finicky small dog parent, I would definitely recommend this kibble.
on September 8, 2007
Flavor Name: Whitefish & Sweet Potato RecipeSize Name: 30-Pound Bag
Pet guardians, please take the time to educate yourselves on what goes into your pet's food. That initiative will give them the gift of a longer, healthier life, eliminate many chronic health issues that pets face, save you money in vet bills in the long run... the list of benefits goes on and on.

I have done extensive research on canine and feline nutrition and I highly recommend, if you are going to feed commercial food, Welless, California Naturals or Innova. For a great complete meal, I give my dogs all one of those dry foods mixed with a little bit of canned from the same brands, water for hydration, a touch of a good quality essential oil (such as olive, flax, etc.), a touch of powdered kelp and alfalfa, a splash of organic apple cider vinegar, Prozyme digestive enzymes to unlock the nutrients in all that good food and top with a dollop of plain yogurt. It sounds like a lot, but it takes me less than 5 minutes to assemble the meals for 6 dogs - and they are ridiculously healthy an full of energy, even our 3 seniors who are 11, 12 and 13. I have two seniors with heart murmurs and at our most recent vet check, my dog with the worst heart murmur, a 12 year old beagle that I love desperately, had a 2-grade improvement in condition severity - that is HUGE. Good nutrition makes all the difference!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 30, 2011
Flavor Name: Puppy Health RecipeSize Name: 30-Pound Bag
Back Story: I adopted a border collie from the pound and kept her on the same dog food she was getting there, which was IAMS Puppy. She had terribly smelly and often very loose stool, including occasional diarrhea which made both of us miserable. She started wanting to go outside to eat grass, so I knew something was wrong in her tummy.

I decided to switch dog foods and started doing some research. Looking over ingredients, figuring out the price per day of food for different brands, etc...

I found that as far as ingredients, the food appears to be very high quality. More meat, less filler, more quality ingredients. As far as pricing, this food came out to about $1.02 per day, whereas IAMS was only about $0.50 per day. Definitely a big price difference, but hopefully it will prove worth it for my puppy's health. I also looked at Innova puppy which looked comparable and came out to about $0.96 per day.

1 DAY: I brought the bag home and even before opening it she showed marked interest in it's contents. I opened up the bag and she started chewing on the cut away strip of bag; it was obvious she loved the taste.

**Big point in this 30 pound bag's favor, it is resealable.

I mixed a handful into her IAMS and she was much more eager to dig in. For now, this looks promising, though costly. Resealable bag, quality ingredients, puppy likes the taste, twice the cost of IAMS.
Based on day 1: 3/5 stars.

1 WEEK: She has now worked her way to all Wellness; she hasn't had any diarrhea and her stool and smell seem to have improved. The resealable bag still seals. Based on the apparent improvement in her bowel functions I would rate wellness 4/5 stars.

Hopefully there will be even more improvement after she has been on Wellness for a month and away from whatever was making her ill in Iams. I am guessing it may have been a food allergy.

1 MONTH: Diarrhea recurred several times, so it didn't turn out to be a miracle cure food. Bag still reseals. Stool/gas smells worlds better than before.

What it boils down to is:

+Higher Quality Ingredients than most brands
+Resealable Bag
+Significant Reduction in smell of stool/gas from Iams
-Twice the cost of Iams

Final Rating
4/5

Update: I've worked my way through the bag now and I also narrowed down what was causing her loose stool/diarrhea after a particularly bad day. She would refuse to drink water until I offered her my bottled water; she is now on purified water and wellness dog food and her stool has firmed up, not a single day of irregularity since.

Oh, and the resealable seal still seals; down to the last kibble.
on June 18, 2009
I have a three year old yorkipoo who has always been extremely picky about his food. We had some success (by "some success" I mean he'd eat half of what he was supposed to) with the Prarie brand by Natures Variety, but he always had runny eye problems and had trouble keeping weight on. My mother's vet recommended the Wellness brand for her dog to lose weight and suggested I try the small breed formula for my picky dog. I'm so glad I tried it! Since switching my dog to the Wellness small breed formula my dog eats every single piece. I don't have to sit there and encourage him to eat. He willingly eats the whole bowl and cannot wait for his next meal. I'm convinced that I could feed him 5 times a day and he'd still eat every last piece because its just that good. I have never seen him so excited to eat! On top of this his coat is as soft as ever and his watery, running, cloudy eyes are completely clear. He has the same amount of small dog energy but doesn't seem as anxious when I leave (apparently filler in dog foods can cause anxiety in sensitive dogs). I'm amazed at how great this product is working for my little man. Highly recommend for those with picky, small breed dogs.
Flavor Name: Whitefish & Sweet Potato RecipeSize Name: 30-Pound Bag
I have two large dogs, one a yellow lab, and the other a lab/dalmation mix. Both of these were on prescription foods(not the same, so quite costly), one had been treated for bladder stones, the other had pancreatitis. I tried Wellness and they have both never looked so good,and been so healthy. No recurring health problems which were a constant worry, and the best part they know can eat the same mix.

Terri W.(Augie&Dusty's mom)
on May 21, 2013
Flavor Name: Senior Health RecipeSize Name: 15-Pound BagVerified Purchase
I've received several bags of this dog food from Amazon for awhile now because I am disabled - and having it shipped to my home is helpful. I am very pleased with the quick delivery - no problems there.

However, one time recently I needed to buy a bag locally and I was stunned at how fresh the dog food was compared to the food sent through Amazon. The Amazon dog food is very dried out and the bottom of the bag is always full of dust and crumbs.

Due to how expensive this brand of dog food is, I expect to get a good quality. I hope Amazon will look into this problem.
on September 8, 2007

I have done extensive research on canine and feline nutrition and I highly recommend, if you are going to feed commercial food, Welless, California Naturals or Innova. For a great complete meal, I give my dogs all one of those dry foods mixed with a little bit of canned from the same brands, water for hydration, a touch of a good quality essential oil (such as olive, flax, etc.), a touch of powdered kelp and alfalfa, a splash of organic apple cider vinegar, Prozyme digestive enzymes to unlock the nutrients in all that good food and top with a dollop of plain yogurt. It sounds like a lot, but it takes me less than 5 minutes to assemble the meals for 6 dogs - and they are ridiculously healthy an full of energy, even our 3 seniors who are 11, 12 and 13. I have two seniors with heart murmurs and at our most recent vet check, my dog with the worst heart murmur, a 12 year old beagle that I love desperately, had a 2-grade improvement in condition severity - that is HUGE. Good nutrition makes all the difference and, as an added bonus, I have yet to meet a dog that doesn't like it! My only quibble with the senior formulation of this great food is that it is very dry - I really do recommend that you add at least a touch of a good oil and water to it to prevent dry skin - dogs get most of their hydration from food.
on March 14, 2010
Flavor Name: Small Breed Turkey & Oatmeal RecipeSize Name: 4-Pound BagVerified Purchase
My Shih Tzu's have allergies, they licked and about chewed their paws off. Spent $$$$'s at the vet for pills, shots, etc..I did research and came across Wellness and I am soo happy I did. It is all natural food, no corn, wheat, soy.. No additives.. Small pieces just right for small breeds. I highly recommend it! and so do my babies! They love it!
on June 16, 2011
Flavor Name: Small Breed Turkey & Oatmeal RecipeSize Name: 12-Pound Bag
Ok let me clarify first of all, why I gave it 4/5 instead of 5/5.

If it were to up to me alone, this food is 5/5.
The ONLY reason why I took 1 star off, is because my dogs hate the taste :(
I have a Pomeranian and a Maltese. Both of them would often just sniff the food, and walk away. They will eventually eat it when they are really hungry, but they just look very disinterested in the food overall. I have the same issue with Blue Buffalo.
However, when I alternate them to Orijen, or Taste of the Wild, or Acana, or Fromm, they pretty much gobble them down instantly. (I tend to alternate around different brands and flavors just to make sure they are not deficient in a specific nutrient/mineral).
This *small* problem is NOT universal. I have friends whose dogs love this food, and I have seen dogs that absolutely won't touch Wellness. Every dog has its preferences, so its best to experiment around.

However, I like feeding my dogs WELLNESS most.
Their poop is solid and doesn't stink, and based upon the ingredients list, it seems really good!
No by-products
No corn
No fillers (well except for tomato pomace, which some people consider it as a filler. I personally don't)
Omega 3 and 6 levels are on the higher side (which is a big plus!) compared to other brands/foods!!! ^_^

I have fed about 2 bags so far, and my dogs haven't had any health problems.

Only thing I wish the product can improve, is to maybe include Chicken Fat, instead of using Canola Oil. That will probably make the taste much better for my dogs making them much more interested in it. Canola oil is a cheaper alternative, but its really not a biggie.

This is definitely something I recommend to include in your feeding rotation!

On the sidenote: if you do not want to risk having a 15 pound bag of food that your dog hates, contact Wellness for a sample! They will send a 4oz packet to you, so you can "test" if your dog likes it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I fed my two golden retrievers and cat Wellness products for a long time with good results. I really respect the approach Wellness has tried to take and always thought their ingredients were excellent. Their ingredient list is outstanding-- human grade meats and veggies/ a holistic health approach.

Then we had a strange incident. I opened a new bag and gave it to my dog, and shortly after eating breakfast she became terribly sick for about a week---severe, severe diarrhea. I thought this was a weird coincidence, so I discarded the bag just to be safe, and went through another bag of Wellness with no problems. Then about a month later I again opened a fresh bag and my dog became terribly ill shortly after eating the first bowl-- same symptoms. (Both bags were not expired.)

I can't help suspecting that something about how the ingredients were mixed in those bags made my dog terribly sick. I stopped feeding Wellness to my pets and we have had no further problems over the last 6 months. I should add that my dog had never had any allergy problems of any kind and has always been very healthy. She has never had a bad reaction to any food-- she is a chow-hound and does not have a sensitive system.

I reported our experience to the store where I purchased the food and they agreed to notify Wellness. I don't know if the company has looked into this issue or not.

If your dog stays healthy on Wellness I would still support it as a good choice given the ingredient list. However, if your dog has symptoms like my dog's symptoms, I'd suggest to you take that seriously and switch foods.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations