Most helpful positive review
15 of 16 people found the following review helpful
on October 16, 2013
About 15 years ago, I stumbled across my first Wenger Swiss Army watch in a mall kiosk, as part of a promotion they were running. I picked it up for about $80 on special sale, about 1/3 the normal price at the time. While not 100% identical to this model, it was about 90% the same ... dark blue face, large, easy to read light numbers, similar shapes (though the crystal was slightly domed and the blue finish matte). It rapidly became my favorite watch of all time, and was running years later when a long bout of joblessness forced me to sell it. It was a sad day for me, truly.
Imagine my delight all these years later when I encountered virtually the same watch at virtually the same price! It arrived today and it instantly felt like an old friend in my hands. The quality of the make felt the same, the mechanism of the band the same ... it was a homecoming of sorts. I'll report back in a few months and let you know how things go on this particular model. But I'll share now what I loved so much about the previous iteration.
1) While the band is not what i was used to at the time (dual deployment latches), I rapidly became very fond of the mechanism. It's easy to get in and out of, but never got flipped off by accident.
2) While I adjusted the band easily enough for myself last time ... no difficulties at all ... I'm going to follow the manufacturers advice this time and have a jeweler do it to avoid the slight scratches around the fittings from my less than artful application of small tools.
3) The watch kept consistent excellent time.
4) The weight feels substantial but never over-heavy.
5) The crystal face was extremely scratch resistant compared to other watches I've owned.
6) I just LOVE the way it looks.
Again, I'll report back on the performance in a few months and let you know how it goes.
A note to potential buyers. Swiss Army Victorinox purchases Wenger a few years back, and in January of 2013 announced that all Wenger products would be rebranded as Victorinox, so you might want to check out their site as well. I LOVE their knives and tools, and I'm sure the tradition of great Swiss Army watches is not in danger one ounce. Or should that be gram. ;)
PS ... thanks to my Swiss ancestors for giving birth to such great products.
UPDATE - 10/20/2013
I have the watch in my hands now, the jeweler has adjusted the band, and I'd have to say this is every bit as good a watch as the one I remember from 15 years ago. The band is very high quality and the latch is top notch, no complaints. Everything looks AOK at this point, and as the watch came with a 3 year warranty, I'm quite satisfied. More updates as required.