5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value for money

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Average
Published on March 21, 2011 by S. MARKS

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Average, March 21, 2011
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
There;s nothing special about this kit. It's thin aluminum, made in China, has some sharp edges and really doesn't live up to my expectations from Wenzel. If you're a once a year camper it's fine for one person, but not for more! If you need something that's sturdy and durable I suggest you purchase something in a higher price and quality range. I'm using mine in a survival kit and it should do just fine for that purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value for money, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
I was very impressed here with what you get for under eight dollars. It's very thin and it's very light, and you know what? Some would consider that an advantage when you're hiking, and have to carry all your gear. It feels nowhere as cheap as others complained about, but that's the thing with Chinese quality- it's hit or miss. Mine feels great except for the pot, which itself is solid and so is the lid, but if you're rough on the handle I can see it breaking. But let's be honest, some people could break anything. If you don't have the ability to take a piece of heavy gauge wire and replace that handle, then don't buy cheap Chinese stuff in the first place. The other problem is that when packed together, it RATTLES. Like, BADLY. Except anyone with any degree of ingenuity can make two small bends to the handle and it screws together right as a drum, no rattles whatsoever.

This is a fairly cheap quality kit, but it's VERY cheap to buy. I think you're actually getting slightly more than you pay for, and it's well deserving of five stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty lame, May 26, 2011
Julian Norman (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
I bought this mess kit in a local hardware store, and i can legitimately say that it was a bit of a waste of money, space and materials. the hanging billy pot is too shallow, so if you try to fill it with water and hang it on a tripod over the fire (like how it seems to be intended), the water can easily spill out and douse your fire. the pot does fit inside the pan somewhat, but not well.

if you plan on using this for simply the pan and lid/plate or for the plastic cup, it'll do the job, though i'm not saying that it will do so well.

final verdict: waste of money. save your cash up and buy a better kit. this one isn't worth the headaches.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for cooking, August 11, 2013
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
This mess kit is a bit deceiving, You may think, wow this has a handle and looks like a frying pan. You would be wrong. My girlfriend attempted to make some eggs using the pan, and the pan melted through completely. This is mess kit is essentially just a bunch of plates to eat off of, DO NOT try to cook using them.

1.0 out of 5 stars cheap chinese knockoff, May 15, 2011
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
It is nothing more than a cheap,Chinese knockoff. I was expecting a lot more quality than I received. Also, seeing the picture, it appears there should be another piece to the kit. It shows a piece that appears to be a plate, as if it would go on top of the kit, under the handle. Overall I would not buy another, or recommend it to anyone else.

1.0 out of 5 stars quality no where near what I expected, February 8, 2013
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
I was extremely dissapointed. If this is called the deluxe model I wonder what the cheep model would look like, a Barbie and Ken Mess Kit? This thing is nothing more than a child's play toy. The metal is so thin, put it over an open outdoor flame and it's going to badly warp if not actually melt. Would I recomend it to a serious outdoorsman or survivalist? I'd be laughed off the planet. I expected something more the size and quality a grown man could some serious use out of for many years.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ehhh..., June 15, 2012
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
Kudos for being cheap, can't say I was expecting much but it's pretty flimsy... I got about 4 uses out of the pan before it was so warped and misshapen that it was unusable. It worked ok though for a little while, as long as you've got a glove to grab the handle with after it's been used for cooking. Overall, I'm better off having spent a bit more on a better set to replace this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit, April 1, 2011
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
Cheaply made. Was not worth the money. The pot handle hook supports bent the first time we used it and almost broke. Would not last another campout.
I have an old BSA version. Get one of those if you want a good cook kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars It works... I suppose, January 15, 2012
Bryan Kraemer (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
This mess kit does exactly what it's intended to do. I took it on a winter camping trip and I never missed a meal with it. However, there are a few annoyances with it.

1. The pan will flip on it's side when it's empty
2. You have to use a nut & bolt to move the handle (unlike others where the handle is on a hinge)
3. The entire kit is all very tight fitting, including the green carrying case.
4. Price - I paid around $10 for this thing. It isn't the end of the world, but there are other kits for $4-6 with the same or even better quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but does the Job, December 26, 2013
This review is from: Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit (Sports)
I bought this kit about a year ago. I've also taken this kit on multiple day backpacking trips. I like it. It's not fancy, you wont get hiker street cred for it, but it's light weight and it works. The pan has warped a little, after many uses. One of the clips on the carrying bag broke, but the bag serves no function to me anyways. I paid $8 for it. All I would have gotten for 5-10X the price is more pack weight. Just a word of caution, IT SERVES FOR ONE PERSON. It is very small capacity. If you're cooking for a family, buy something else. If you're just using it for car camping, buy something else. But for backpacking it's great.

Wenzel Deluxe Mess Kit