Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Werner MT-17 300-Pound Duty Rating Telescoping Multi-Ladder, 17-Foot
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Size Name: 17-Foot|Change

on December 1, 2004
Like another reviewer, the 'Little Giant' infomercial piqued my interest about this type of product. I was in need of an extension ladder in the 20ft range, but didn't really want to deal with storing it. The idea of meeting this need with a unit that stores in a compact space was appealing, and I could get rid of my eight foot step ladder to boot. I found the Werner MT-22 at Lowes for $198 plus tax. Little Giant didn't really lose a sale because there was no way I was going to pay $400 for a ladder no matter how well made or versatile.

The ladder is everything I expected. It works great as an A-frame stepladder. Although it is heaver than the 8-foot stepladder I'm retiring, it is also less bulky which is a good trade off when manuvering it to where I need to use it. It is also useful outdoors as a taller stepladder. The feature to allow it to be set up on stairs is a great plus.

The main reason I wanted a new ladder was to get a long enough extension to reach the eaves of the half-story of my house. The MT-17 was not guite long enough so I went for the 22. The main disadvantage is having to manuver it into position while it is essentially fully extended. Again, the slight disadvantage in setup is compensated for by the ease of hauling it out of the garage to the area where it will be used, and not having to store a standard extension ladder. I expect I'll only need to use it in this mode three or four times a year so the storage problem is actually more important than ease of setup.

I haven't had a chance to use it in the scaffold support mode, but I did do a test set-up, and it appears that it will work well for this purpose.

The ladder is sturdy and well-constructed. It is very stable when properly setup, and I was comfortable and confident while using it. I highly recommend this product.
1313 comments|580 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2004
As a contractor, I use a lot of ladders.
In January 2002, I purchased the Type 1 22 FT Little Giant from Amazon.com. The only difference was the hinges and a few annoying braces in the climbing area of the two narrow extension pieces of the COSCO. The COSCO is made in Korea. The Little Giant is made in USA. Both functions flawlessly to this day.
I found the Little Giant cloned at Home Depot as the Gorrila Brand ladder at Home Depot. $99 for the 13 ft model and $199 for a 21 ft model. The ladder is essentially a China made copy of the Type 1A Little Giant.
My last purchase is the MT-13 Werner. It appears to be another clone of the Little Giant Type 1A, also made in China, probably by the same company that makes the Gorilla. I know this, because both brands include a bonus set of brackets for making the scaffolding with an almost identical blow molded polyethylene case. The brackets are identical and marked Patent Pending.
I would recommend the MT-13 and the MT-17 in the Werner Brand, but I still prefer the Little Giant in the 22 ft model. It is a lighter by five pounds than the 22ft Werner but cost about $130 more.
Since all of the original Little Giant patents have expired, the hinges on the Gorilla and Werner models are identical to the Little Giant.
Of all of the models, the MT-17 would be ideal for most home owners. It will go to the second floor window of a two story house. The 22ft model will go to the roof of a two story house, but only for one with a slab foundation, not one with a basement or a crawl space.
The 17 FT model is a good balance between weight size and function. The best deal would be the Werner MT-17. The quality of materials and assembly of all the models appear nearly equal.
One reviewer noted that these ladders were hard to extend. The best method is still the method of extending the ladder using the procedure described in the Little Giant Instructional Video. Since the methods are copyrighted by Little Giant, the clone manufacturers cannot use them with their own instructions sheets, videos or manuals. Accordingly, I cannot include the Little Giant Procedure in this review.
1313 comments|973 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2004
As a contractor, I use a lot of ladders.

COSCO was the first to clone the Little Giant Ladder about five years ago. Apparently, Little Giant's patent was still in force for the hinges. I own the COSCO 17FT Worlds Greatest Ladder and used it for a couple of years, but I needed something longer. The only flaw in the COSCO are the angular steel braces on the inside of the ends of the center hinged section. These are a bit annoying, when you are using it as an extension ladder.

I found the Little Giant cloned at Home Depot as the Gorrilla Brand ladder at Home Depot. $99 for the 13 ft model and $199 for a 21 ft model. The ladder is essentially a China made copy of the Type 1A Little Giant.

The 13ft. (Actual length is 11ft. 13ft is an OSHA rating, since extension ladders have overlaps.) ladder is ideal for a one story house on a slab or a trailer. When I first used it to get on a roof of such as house, I thought it was a little short. However, after using it several times, I found that it was ideal. The key is to place the space between the top and the second rung at the edge of the roof. I know that ladder makers recommend a grabbing length of three feet above the roof edge, but you would have to go around the side of the ladder's length above the roof. This "grabbing length" is a little arkward to me. Since the top of this and other Little Giant clones have flared tops, I prefer my method. I can stoop dowm and climb directly onto the roof, while keeping my center of gravity very low. The same can be done, while getting off of the roof. So the 13ft. ladder is just right. The thing I really like about this length is easy handling. It balances well, when fully extended and makes a compact package that fits nicely into a car trunk of even some compact car. In the step ladder mode, it is probably the sturdiest and safest that you could ask for.

For the price, the Werner MT's are the best deal. Best of all, the MT-13 is only $99 at Lowes.
33 comments|293 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 19, 2013
We built a new small cottage on sloping ground and I rapidly found that I needed a bigger ladder but don't have a big vehicle or the storage in our 600sf place. I got this ladder and one of the 4 section folding ones by the same company that is 16' long fully extended -- this one: Werner M1-8-16 250-Pound Duty Rating Aluminum Folding Multi-Master Articulated Ladder, 16-Foot. the re-foldable ladder always looks like such a useful thing and I thought sure it would be the better ladder. It simply isn't. When I bought them this was the more expensive ladder, now it's not. This is the one you want. This ladder is easy to adjust, feels completely stable at full extension (or full height as a step ladder) and for as big as it is I don't think it's that heavy - the thing is 22' long, you're not going to get that in 8lbs.

Sometimes the locking pins on the hinge can be hard to release but the good thing is that there is no bounce or give in the hinge when fully extended. The fold out ladder scares me to death at full extension it's bouncy as all get out and makes me think it'll collapse (I weigh 180 so I'm not stressing either ladder). I've carried 64" windows up this ladder without fear or feeling like I was going to fall.

A few negatives: fully retracted on either side the inner set of steps sometimes gets in the way - the outer feet don't want to be on the ground without a little coaxing. fortunately it still feels stable and I'm mostly using it at longer extensions. My bigger problem is that I bought the ladder roughly 8 months ago, have used it mostly on weekends for 4-5 months and some if the reinforcing plastic on the pins that lock the legs has turned white and cracked with stress. I'll be contacting werner about this. it's a 300lb ladder and including me the most it's had would be maybe 220lbs (me plus half a sheet of OSB with someone holding the other half on another ladder). A ladder this tall with any sign of stress failure is mega scary.

done over I'd buy two of these and forget the folding contraption (which stores nicely but is far worse to use)

Update: I contacted Werner and within 4 days had a replacement part for the stressed j-hooks - at no cost to me. thanks for the fabulous service!!
review image
on May 30, 2004
Bought this for the flexibility and ease of transport. It fit without any trouble in the back of the vehicle and was very easy to handle with 1 person. Being able to use it as a stair ladder or with the included braces to use it as scaffolding support was very attractive. The weakness is in the extension ability. It is very difficult to fully extend the ladder to 19 feet. Basically your only option is to half-extend it on the ground, and once you have it standing, push it the rest of the way up. This becomes very difficult as this ladder does not have the typical pulley system found on regular extension ladders. It also cannot accept the Werner Quick-Click Stabilizer. The stabilizer would normall make window and gutter jobs a piece of cake. Also, with the angled legs, I am not sure of this ladders ability to accept a leveler. This all coupled with the flexing of 4 seperate pieces, prompted me to return it for a Werner 24 foot fiberglass extension that I am completely happy with. (...)
44 comments|194 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2004
I bought this for $100 from costco and am extremely satisfied. I have never had an extension ladder because I had no room to store one. This stores in less space than my 6' step ladder and gives me an adjustable step ladder that goes from about a 4' step to about a 9' step. It also works like a 17' extension ladder. It is more rigid than an extension ladder, giving noticably more stability. In stepladder mode it can be adjusted for unlevel surfaces, which is very convenient. It is a little heavier than my fiberglass stepladders, but not too bad. Also it sticks a little when I try to unlock the angle of the ladder. This is a fantastic concept and is well implemented by werner and is definitely the right ladder for me with my limited storage space. It is the only ladder I use on my 1 /12 story house and my one story rental houses. There are a couple things different ladders can do that I would like. An MT-13 (or the gorilla version, $100 at home depot) would likely fit in my trunk, which the MT-17 will not do. I would not give up the extra length to get this, though. Little Giant ladders have some nice affordable accessories (ladder stabilizer, leg levelers) that I would like. I will not pay two to three times more for the little giant, though, and hopefully these will soon be available for the werner MT series.
on October 29, 2011
Let me start by saying that this ladder is well designed for simplicity of use. I found the ladder to be ideal for me because it can get as long as 26 feet which allows me to reach the top of my houses gable ends (highest point from the ground), yet when it is reduced to its smallest size it is only about 6 feet tall, so I can easily get it into my shed. My first use of the ladder I maxed it out at 26 feet and it worked like a charm. I also used it as an extra tall step ladder and again fantastic. My general take on the ladder is that it is very good for me. It makes me a little nervous relying on the pins that hold the hinge and the telescoping pieces in place but its rated for 300lbs, I'm 6'1" and weigh 250lbs and I had it held me up with no problem. However, there are some aspects of the ladder that some people may not consider and should before buying it. I would call them negatives but they are aspects of the ladder that make it different from an extension ladder. First, it's heavy, now a 26 foot extension ladder is heavy too, but this ladder looks little and when you go to pick it up it surprises you. Second, to get the full lenght of the ladder you have to unfold it, then telescope the ends outward. How would you do this? With the ladder laying on the ground, which means you need three things, the space to expand it, clearance overhead between where you open it to length and where you use it. Third, the strength to flip the 26 foot extended ladder up and then over to where you intend to use it. Unlike an extension ladder which you can set in place, pull the rope and extend it to height, if you put this ladder in place and try to telescope it you will have two problems, first, you can only telescope from the bottom because the top is beyond your reach; second, you need to be strong to balance the ladder upright, then hold the base down while telescoping the middle piece upward and they lock the pin in place. That's why the manufacturer recommends telescoping the top and bottom while the ladder is laying on the ground. The other concern with telescoping while the ladder is upright is that there is a pinch hazard because the center of the ladder slides up and down and gravity likes to bring it down on your arms or fingers when you are trying to hold it and push it up. Lastly, though it is compact it is heavy and deep so storage can be an issue because you need to mount your bracket very robustly to a wall and secondly the typical ladder holding bracket will not be deep enough to hook the 4-deep steps of the folded ladder. Again, I love this ladder because I don't have a pickup truck to haul an extension ladder and I don't have an indoor space to store an extension ladder. Also, this ladder can do stuff no extension ladder and most step ladders can't do either like seperate into two step ladders allowing you to use it like a scaffold, serving as an 11 ft step ladder, and having different front and back leg heights to work on steps or uneven surfaces. Hope this was helpful.
on October 10, 2004
This ladder is very impressive. This is the first one I have found to have a reach this high. The ladder is very stable and sturdy while extended. It is very easy to operate but I find it best to lay it on the ground to set it up for an extension ladder. Yes it's a bit heavy at 54 lbs. but I find it no heavier than a extension ladder of the same lenghth and much easier to handle do to it's compact size. I now have only one ladder to store, it's just what I've been looking for.
on July 15, 2014
I write this as a someone who has used this ladder for almost 5 years. I have put it through its paces in every application as a professional contractor. All in all I am very pleased with it, until today. Despite its add that it can be used as two smaller ladders, use extreme caution. I have done it on occasion with a plank spanning them. Today I used that feature in a kitchen with my partner mudding a cieling, using them independently. The bottom parts that the spring loaded pins lock together scissored on me. In one hand a taping knife the other a hawk full of durabond, I road the the mess to the floor. The result, the pivot point cut my upper ankle like a dull can opener took a chunk of flesh with it. 3 hours and 8 stitches later I'm out of work for 14 days and will end up with 3" scar and a divit in my leg. All in all a good ladder but be very careful using that feature. I have used that feature in the past with no issue...crap does happen....just a word to the wise.
on May 27, 2011
Look, I'm no newbie, have been working the household projects forever: porch building, additions, on and on.

I bought this ladder a few weeks back, first new ladder in 20 years.

The Pros??
-study
-wide base
-easy controls

Okay NOW the Cons...this thing can seriously injure you:
-because of the design, it can be 'top heavy' in the extension ladder setting...and it's no light ladder; still, you get used to that.

Here is the biggie: it has four (4) guillotine-style support stabilization blades on the inside frame; the bottom two, not much problem.
-the top two blades?? well, there is about 0.25-inch gap or less between them when the ladder in in 'closed' position...not enough to get fingers out of the way. THIS just results in finger crushing.
-HOWEVER: be EXTRAORDINARILY CAREFUL when sliding the inside ladder in or out...you can get your fingers crushed or AMPUTATED if you get them caught between the rungs of the inner ladder and the upper blades....

yes, this happened to me a month ago...I have thick fingers. If it had been my wife, hers would most likely have been sliced off.

So....sturdy ladder. Just be aware of this 'hidden' danger.
1515 comments|143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse