1,445 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A Versatil Essential for the Homeowner
Published on December 1, 2004 by D. Jensen

3.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, but LIMITED extension capability!
Published on May 30, 2004 by brianpsu

5.0 out of 5 stars A Versatil Essential for the Homeowner, December 1, 2004
This review is from: Werner MT-22 300-Pound Duty Rating Telescoping Multi-Ladder, 22-Foot (Tools & Home Improvement)
Like another reviewer, the 'Little Giant' infomercial piqued my interest about this type of product. I was in need of an extension ladder in the 20ft range, but didn't really want to deal with storing it. The idea of meeting this need with a unit that stores in a compact space was appealing, and I could get rid of my eight foot step ladder to boot. I found the Werner MT-22 at Lowes for $198 plus tax. Little Giant didn't really lose a sale because there was no way I was going to pay $400 for a ladder no matter how well made or versatile.

The ladder is everything I expected. It works great as an A-frame stepladder. Although it is heaver than the 8-foot stepladder I'm retiring, it is also less bulky which is a good trade off when manuvering it to where I need to use it. It is also useful outdoors as a taller stepladder. The feature to allow it to be set up on stairs is a great plus.

The main reason I wanted a new ladder was to get a long enough extension to reach the eaves of the half-story of my house. The MT-17 was not guite long enough so I went for the 22. The main disadvantage is having to manuver it into position while it is essentially fully extended. Again, the slight disadvantage in setup is compensated for by the ease of hauling it out of the garage to the area where it will be used, and not having to store a standard extension ladder. I expect I'll only need to use it in this mode three or four times a year so the storage problem is actually more important than ease of setup.

I haven't had a chance to use it in the scaffold support mode, but I did do a test set-up, and it appears that it will work well for this purpose.

The ladder is sturdy and well-constructed. It is very stable when properly setup, and I was comfortable and confident while using it. I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars One half the price of the Little Giant, June 29, 2004
I. Leong "mhz500" (Taylors, SC United States) - See all my reviews
As a contractor, I use a lot of ladders.
In January 2002, I purchased the Type 1 22 FT Little Giant from Amazon.com. The only difference was the hinges and a few annoying braces in the climbing area of the two narrow extension pieces of the COSCO. The COSCO is made in Korea. The Little Giant is made in USA. Both functions flawlessly to this day.
I found the Little Giant cloned at Home Depot as the Gorrila Brand ladder at Home Depot. $99 for the 13 ft model and $199 for a 21 ft model. The ladder is essentially a China made copy of the Type 1A Little Giant.
My last purchase is the MT-13 Werner. It appears to be another clone of the Little Giant Type 1A, also made in China, probably by the same company that makes the Gorilla. I know this, because both brands include a bonus set of brackets for making the scaffolding with an almost identical blow molded polyethylene case. The brackets are identical and marked Patent Pending.
I would recommend the MT-13 and the MT-17 in the Werner Brand, but I still prefer the Little Giant in the 22 ft model. It is a lighter by five pounds than the 22ft Werner but cost about $130 more.
Since all of the original Little Giant patents have expired, the hinges on the Gorilla and Werner models are identical to the Little Giant.
Of all of the models, the MT-17 would be ideal for most home owners. It will go to the second floor window of a two story house. The 22ft model will go to the roof of a two story house, but only for one with a slab foundation, not one with a basement or a crawl space.
The 17 FT model is a good balance between weight size and function. The best deal would be the Werner MT-17. The quality of materials and assembly of all the models appear nearly equal.
One reviewer noted that these ladders were hard to extend. The best method is still the method of extending the ladder using the procedure described in the Little Giant Instructional Video. Since the methods are copyrighted by Little Giant, the clone manufacturers cannot use them with their own instructions sheets, videos or manuals. Accordingly, I cannot include the Little Giant Procedure in this review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the right ladder for a single story house on a slab...., November 22, 2004
I. Leong "mhz500" (Taylors, SC United States) - See all my reviews
As a contractor, I use a lot of ladders.

COSCO was the first to clone the Little Giant Ladder about five years ago. Apparently, Little Giant's patent was still in force for the hinges. I own the COSCO 17FT Worlds Greatest Ladder and used it for a couple of years, but I needed something longer. The only flaw in the COSCO are the angular steel braces on the inside of the ends of the center hinged section. These are a bit annoying, when you are using it as an extension ladder.

I found the Little Giant cloned at Home Depot as the Gorrilla Brand ladder at Home Depot. $99 for the 13 ft model and $199 for a 21 ft model. The ladder is essentially a China made copy of the Type 1A Little Giant.

The 13ft. (Actual length is 11ft. 13ft is an OSHA rating, since extension ladders have overlaps.) ladder is ideal for a one story house on a slab or a trailer. When I first used it to get on a roof of such as house, I thought it was a little short. However, after using it several times, I found that it was ideal. The key is to place the space between the top and the second rung at the edge of the roof. I know that ladder makers recommend a grabbing length of three feet above the roof edge, but you would have to go around the side of the ladder's length above the roof. This "grabbing length" is a little arkward to me. Since the top of this and other Little Giant clones have flared tops, I prefer my method. I can stoop dowm and climb directly onto the roof, while keeping my center of gravity very low. The same can be done, while getting off of the roof. So the 13ft. ladder is just right. The thing I really like about this length is easy handling. It balances well, when fully extended and makes a compact package that fits nicely into a car trunk of even some compact car. In the step ladder mode, it is probably the sturdiest and safest that you could ask for.

For the price, the Werner MT's are the best deal. Best of all, the MT-13 is only $99 at Lowes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Versatile, but LIMITED extension capability!, May 30, 2004
Bought this for the flexibility and ease of transport. It fit without any trouble in the back of the vehicle and was very easy to handle with 1 person. Being able to use it as a stair ladder or with the included braces to use it as scaffolding support was very attractive. The weakness is in the extension ability. It is very difficult to fully extend the ladder to 19 feet. Basically your only option is to half-extend it on the ground, and once you have it standing, push it the rest of the way up. This becomes very difficult as this ladder does not have the typical pulley system found on regular extension ladders. It also cannot accept the Werner Quick-Click Stabilizer. The stabilizer would normall make window and gutter jobs a piece of cake. Also, with the angled legs, I am not sure of this ladders ability to accept a leveler. This all coupled with the flexing of 4 seperate pieces, prompted me to return it for a Werner 24 foot fiberglass extension that I am completely happy with. (...)

5.0 out of 5 stars Mt-17, October 26, 2004
John O'Bryan (Westwood Hills, KS) - See all my reviews
I bought this for $100 from costco and am extremely satisfied. I have never had an extension ladder because I had no room to store one. This stores in less space than my 6' step ladder and gives me an adjustable step ladder that goes from about a 4' step to about a 9' step. It also works like a 17' extension ladder. It is more rigid than an extension ladder, giving noticably more stability. In stepladder mode it can be adjusted for unlevel surfaces, which is very convenient. It is a little heavier than my fiberglass stepladders, but not too bad. Also it sticks a little when I try to unlock the angle of the ladder. This is a fantastic concept and is well implemented by werner and is definitely the right ladder for me with my limited storage space. It is the only ladder I use on my 1 /12 story house and my one story rental houses. There are a couple things different ladders can do that I would like. An MT-13 (or the gorilla version, $100 at home depot) would likely fit in my trunk, which the MT-17 will not do. I would not give up the extra length to get this, though. Little Giant ladders have some nice affordable accessories (ladder stabilizer, leg levelers) that I would like. I will not pay two to three times more for the little giant, though, and hopefully these will soon be available for the werner MT series.

1.0 out of 5 stars Super Dangerous to Fingers!~!!!, May 27, 2011
Look, I'm no newbie, have been working the household projects forever: porch building, additions, on and on.

I bought this ladder a few weeks back, first new ladder in 20 years.

The Pros??
-study
-wide base
-easy controls

Okay NOW the Cons...this thing can seriously injure you:
-because of the design, it can be 'top heavy' in the extension ladder setting...and it's no light ladder; still, you get used to that.

Here is the biggie: it has four (4) guillotine-style support stabilization blades on the inside frame; the bottom two, not much problem.
-the top two blades?? well, there is about 0.25-inch gap or less between them when the ladder in in 'closed' position...not enough to get fingers out of the way. THIS just results in finger crushing.
-HOWEVER: be EXTRAORDINARILY CAREFUL when sliding the inside ladder in or out...you can get your fingers crushed or AMPUTATED if you get them caught between the rungs of the inner ladder and the upper blades....

yes, this happened to me a month ago...I have thick fingers. If it had been my wife, hers would most likely have been sliced off.

So....sturdy ladder. Just be aware of this 'hidden' danger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely 5 stars, March 12, 2006
Tom T (Crystal Coast of NC USA) - See all my reviews
GREAT ladder and well-deserving of the high ratings received here.

Mine arrived in perfect condition. One reviewer mentioned that he had to lube some parts, and they still didn't move well. So that's the first thing I checked after I removed the factory wrapping. Happy to report that the moving parts are perfectly engineered: all rails move smoothly and all j-hooks easily pull out & snap into place w/o any extra effort on my part.

This ladder is ideal for anyone who uses 5' and 8' ladders regularly along with a 19' extension ladder. That description fits me. I own some residential rental housing and do most of my own maintenance. In the past, I used a 5-footer mainly for interior painting; I needed an 8-footer for my units with cathedral ceilings; and I needed an extension ladder when working outside. It was a real pain when I had to pack all three ladders in my van. Now I just take the one MT-22 ladder, and, when folded, it doesn't use much more room than my 5-footer did, but takes the place of all 3 ladders. I wish I bought this thing years ago.

If you've ever tried using a ladder on stairs by adding some sort of (unsafe) support under two of the feet, you'll be amazed how effortlessly & safely you can use this ladder on stairs. This feature alone might make this ladder worth the price for some people.

Several reviewers here commented on the weight. I haven't put it on a scale, but 45 - 50 lbs seems about right. I'm sure there are a lot of ladies who could throw this thing over their shoulder without breaking a sweat. But, for those who can't, this ladder might not be the best for many tasks women (& guys) end up doing inside the house. Having a light-weight 5- or 6-footer is still ideal for those jobs the wife or girlfriend want or have to handle themselves w/o male assistance. In fact, I don't feel like a wussy when I grab our 5-footer instead of the MT-22 for use in & around the house. However, this MT-22 at 5' and at 8' feels aheckofa lot sturdier than my 5- or 8-footer. At full extension, it also has a more solid feel than my 19' aluminum extension ladder.

For those of us who recycle aluminum cans, this ladder probably contains a few cans we used once. I ran a magnet over it, and the only steel I found are the rivets holding the ladder rungs, and the 2 mid-point hinges. So based on weight, I'd say this ladder is at least 99.5% rigid aluminum.

One caution worth repeating is watch your fingers at first when you start experimenting and especially when lowering it. There's no rope to use for extending or lowering it as with a standard extension ladder. Until you get used to operating this ladder, it's real easy to leave your fingers in the wrong place. After I got it unpacked, I was fascinated with the various configurations and had to try out every one -- and in the excitement lost concentration on where my fingers were placed. Amazing how a pinched finger resharpens concentration.

I, too, would like to support the USA company that invented this design rather than an overseas manufacturer that copied the concept. But at less than half-price and no tax or shipping charge when ordering from Amazon, this Werner ladder is a super deal if the concept meets your needs. In fact, if you're not in a hurry to get it, add the Werner MT-22 to your Amazon wish list and check it at least once a week. Eventually you'll see the selling price dip by about $30 for a while, then go back up again. The price move down and up is as quiet and smooth as this ladder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of Equipment, October 10, 2004
Ken K (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This ladder is very impressive. This is the first one I have found to have a reach this high. The ladder is very stable and sturdy while extended. It is very easy to operate but I find it best to lay it on the ground to set it up for an extension ladder. Yes it's a bit heavy at 54 lbs. but I find it no heavier than a extension ladder of the same lenghth and much easier to handle do to it's compact size. I now have only one ladder to store, it's just what I've been looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Werner MT 26 Ladder, October 29, 2011
Let me start by saying that this ladder is well designed for simplicity of use. I found the ladder to be ideal for me because it can get as long as 26 feet which allows me to reach the top of my houses gable ends (highest point from the ground), yet when it is reduced to its smallest size it is only about 6 feet tall, so I can easily get it into my shed. My first use of the ladder I maxed it out at 26 feet and it worked like a charm. I also used it as an extra tall step ladder and again fantastic. My general take on the ladder is that it is very good for me. It makes me a little nervous relying on the pins that hold the hinge and the telescoping pieces in place but its rated for 300lbs, I'm 6'1" and weigh 250lbs and I had it held me up with no problem. However, there are some aspects of the ladder that some people may not consider and should before buying it. I would call them negatives but they are aspects of the ladder that make it different from an extension ladder. First, it's heavy, now a 26 foot extension ladder is heavy too, but this ladder looks little and when you go to pick it up it surprises you. Second, to get the full lenght of the ladder you have to unfold it, then telescope the ends outward. How would you do this? With the ladder laying on the ground, which means you need three things, the space to expand it, clearance overhead between where you open it to length and where you use it. Third, the strength to flip the 26 foot extended ladder up and then over to where you intend to use it. Unlike an extension ladder which you can set in place, pull the rope and extend it to height, if you put this ladder in place and try to telescope it you will have two problems, first, you can only telescope from the bottom because the top is beyond your reach; second, you need to be strong to balance the ladder upright, then hold the base down while telescoping the middle piece upward and they lock the pin in place. That's why the manufacturer recommends telescoping the top and bottom while the ladder is laying on the ground. The other concern with telescoping while the ladder is upright is that there is a pinch hazard because the center of the ladder slides up and down and gravity likes to bring it down on your arms or fingers when you are trying to hold it and push it up. Lastly, though it is compact it is heavy and deep so storage can be an issue because you need to mount your bracket very robustly to a wall and secondly the typical ladder holding bracket will not be deep enough to hook the 4-deep steps of the folded ladder. Again, I love this ladder because I don't have a pickup truck to haul an extension ladder and I don't have an indoor space to store an extension ladder. Also, this ladder can do stuff no extension ladder and most step ladders can't do either like seperate into two step ladders allowing you to use it like a scaffold, serving as an 11 ft step ladder, and having different front and back leg heights to work on steps or uneven surfaces. Hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars very versatile ladder, July 31, 2004
Big Jim (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased the MT-22 about a month ago from a local Sherwin Williams dealer (price was $180). I brought it home and tried out all of the different arrangements for the ladder and found it to be very easy to use with the exception of the extension part. It weighs 45 lbs. which really isn't a big deal to me. I am 6'4" tall and I workout so the weight wasn't a problem. I found the best way to use it as an extension ladder is to fully extend the opposite end of the ladder first, then lean the ladder against the building, pull the adjustment pins and push the ladder upwards. I don't know if this is the best or correct way, but it works for me. I also talked with a rep from Werner and the working platform and leg levelers should be available in the beginning of September.

The ladder is very solid. I put Sikkens on my deck and used the ladder as 9 foot step ladder and it didn't sway or tip at all. I am very pleased with this product.