Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Audio CDChange

on March 16, 2005
I know I am no authority on opera even though I have been a fan of both Carreras and Kraus for a good many years. Within the past week I heard both of these tenors in the role of Werther and have to say I was disappointed with the Kraus interpretation. To me, HIS was the thin and strained voice , not Bocelli's. I found Bocelli's voice to be rich and warm where it should be and purposely less so when the situation called for it. I can't imagine anyone not thoroughly enjoying this production because to my ear all of the cast were quite good and you will not find any opera music more beautiful than in this "Werther". It is a most satisfying experience!
0Comment9 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2005
Although not a purist, listening to good opera is a great pleasure. Perhaps the technical aspects are beyond my knowledge, but when Bocelli sings, I do know that his voice and interpretation of Werther go straight to the heart. As Werther one can feel the emotional impact that Bocelli gives to the role. He becomes Werther. Coupled with a great cast and Massenet's beautiful score, this version of Werther is highly recommended. It is easy to see why Bocelli's opera and classical CDs have toped the classical charts. Now the greatest treat would be to see Andrea Bocelli perform this on the live stage.
0Comment11 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 17, 2005
I never write reviews on opera CD's. I never think I'm qualified. And I'm probably not! However, I have to voice my opinion on this CD because Bocelli has managed to top himself.

When I listened to "Il Trovatore" by Bocelli earlier this year I was sure he couldn't get any better. Boy, was I mistaken. This is a wonderful Werther that makes you feel as though you have been transported to Werther's world...you are part of what is happening. And Yves Abel's direction is just perfection! Bocelli fan or not, this is one CD you'll love to have in your collection.
11 comment11 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 12, 2005
Werther is not one of my favorite operas.I bought this CD as I am compiling a total body of Bocelli's work.Suprisingly,I was impressed with the CD.The entire cast seemed to be in sync and

the score conducted beautifully.Bocelli has the voice so needed for this opera.As always the diction is clean,and secure.There is a sadness,a pathos in the voice itself,the timbre just perfect

for this opera. His characterization of Werther is right on.This operas' signature aria,Pourquoi me revellier,is startlingly controlled in this rendition.I have heard Bocelli sing this aria live and on other CD's and he molds this one properly in context with the rest of the score.As his voice matures it opens the door to other operas that will be within his range.I look forward to the next CD,wether it's opera or crossover,I know it will be worth every penny I spend.If you don't have Werther in your collection,this is the one to have.
0Comment8 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2013
I had the fortune of taking my grandmother to see this at the Detroit Opera House in 1999 not once but twice. Mr. Bocelli was unable to perform the night I bought her tickets and instead of asking for a refund, at my grandmother's request(who is an opera aficionado), we stayed and enjoyed the understudy's wonderful performance. I was able to purchase tickets for the final Sunday performance because I really wanted to see Mr. Bocelli. It was so worth the extra expense. My grandmother and I were able to appreciate Mr. Bocelli's performance so much more and we were amazed with how easily he moved across the stage. You never would have known he couldn't see. And his voice, ahh his voice, gave us chills and made us cry. This CD brings back all the emotions and memories and we both enjoy it over and over. Others may be critical but if a tenor who is technically correct doesn't move you, then it is just another boring musical. Opera is suppose to evoke feelings of passion, dismay, and all the ones in between. Mr. Bocelli is one of those rare singers who can do this whether he is singing opera, classics, or new pop songs.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon March 17, 2005
Andrea Bocelli's full-length performance is both a treat to his fans and a delight to the ear. Andrea takes this opera favorite and makes it his own with his rich, spellbinding voice. This is definitely one not to miss. Wish there were more than five stars!
0Comment10 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 16, 2005
I always hesitate to write a Bocelli review, because as a Bocelli fan in every way, I'm afraid not to be taken seriously. I'm no expert in opera, and will never claim to be. However, in this instant, I feel I need to express my joy after listening to this particular project. I was there when Andrea sang the part of Werther for the first time 6 years ago, and again when he sang in Italy last year. Each time I thought he couldn't get any better, and he always surpassed my expectations? A thin voice? I think critics that write this aren't even listening. They're just parroting their counterparts. If you really listen to this recording, you'll hear the power when it's needed, and the pathos the character calls for. While I think it's the role Bocelli was born to play, it only leaves me more eager for the next one he brings to life!! Truly...through him, they're alive!!
0Comment9 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2005
I always seem to be waiting for the next Bocelli opera offering. And, to date, I have loved them all. I expected this to be a satisfying, nay, thrilling recording of one of my favorite operas and I am happy to say it exceeds even my hopes.

This rendition of Werther is absolutely the finest I

have heard. Andrea Bocelli wears this role like a second skin, so convincing is he in his soulful portrayal. This would make a fine signature role for Bocelli Werther. As he sings he IS the character. I have attended his performances both in Detroit in 1999 and also in Bologna in 2004. Both are wonderful, but, this particular cast as a whole seems to be most suited to their particular characters and the voices work together to advantage. The orchestra is excellent under the baton of Yves Abel. Gertseva as Charlotte was new to me, and is both beautiful and convincing as actress and singer, and so on, with fine cast choices, right down the line.

Still, the brightest of the stars must go to Bocelli whose command of emotions, voice, and diction make this

recording a must have for anyone's collection. I have collected over 20 complete performance CDs of this title, finding something of value in each. But this one is the one that truly satisfies all I look for in Werther. You will not be disappointed.Such a beautiful production. Massenet's masterpiece as well as Bocelli's.
0Comment8 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 27, 2014
This cd is alot different than i expected alot more new material which is a nice change these days .
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 2006
I saw this opera live in Bologna, Italy and have to say that these reviews are WRONG when it comes to Andrea Bocelli. He was fabulous as was the cast. Bocelli is a fabulous singer as well as person since we met him at our hotel. I belive if you were a true opera fan you could appreciate his talent even if you don't find him as your favorite singer. Watching this opera live in one of the oldest opera house's in Europe makes you appreciate the talent of everyone in this opera!!
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse