5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent do-it-all countertop oven
Update 12/3/2011:

What's to say!?.....we're using this oven at least 5 times per week and it not skipping a beat! We still love this small do-it-all oven!

Update: 6/2/2011

Published on March 10, 2009 by Allan A.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK so far
I chose this oven for its larger size and the rotisserie cooking option on top of the usual toasting/baking/broiling. I have only used this oven for a week so far, and will update this review and the rating after a couple of months.

First Impression:

Published on April 8, 2006 by Sang

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent do-it-all countertop oven, March 10, 2009
This review is from: West Bend 74706 Countertop Oven with Rotisserie Attachment (Kitchen)
Update 12/3/2011:

Update: 6/2/2011

This oven is still going strong as of Summer 2011! We've used it almost daily for the last 2+ years and it almost always is used to replace our big oven, especially during the hot days of summer when a big oven heats up the room too much. Not a peep of trouble out of it, it cooks everything just the way we want and quickly (due to convection fan) and we are delighted to see that it is still being sold on Amazon as a current model! Almost tempted to order another one to keep stored for the day this oven in use dies, but, I'm pretty confident, that won't be for a long while. It has passed the test of time and continued use with an A+ rating!

Just received our West Bend 74706 and tried it right out. Be advised to wipe it down inside and out for dust and then heat it up empty for about 15 minutes as it may smoke a bit as it heats up for the first time. First to note that it is built extremely solid. I've looked at every oven like this at Costco, WalMart, Sears, etc and not one had the solidity that this one has. The handle on the West Bend is rock solid as is the entire build quality of this model. Many other model's handles flex up and down considerably during use and I question how long they would last. We also like the analog dials rather then digital (and easier to see if you use reading glasses and want to avoid hard-to-read digital displays). Low tech adds up to ease of use and less that can go wrong over time! It also means more $$ went into the rest of the oven design and quality, not into high tech controls! Also to note, YES!, this is a convection model which allows faster cook times and much more uniform heating across the oven. The oven convection fan and motor do emit a hum of sorts, but, nothing that is loud and annoying. We've baked chicken in it and tried the toaster function as well. Cook times were fast for the boneless chicken and the texture was perfect, still moist and not charred like some smaller ovens can do since the meat, etc., is too darn close to the cooking elements in those smaller models. Convection also allows lower heat output and more heat element cycling (not on 100% of the time) to allow reduced electricity consumption.Toast takes no more time then a normal toaster and browns very uniformly across the oven. The oven's profile is smaller then we expected (a plus for a limited counter spot) and yet it will hold a 12" pizza pan or a 5X9 cook pan. The oven seems well insulated as well and does a great job at holding in the heat where it needs to be. We haven't tried the rotisserie yet, but, the hardware included is like the rest of this oven, well made and solid. With very limited use as of yet, my feeling is that we'll continue to praise this model as we use it more and that it deserves the high ratings most owners gave it. It'll do it all and use only 110V in the process versus that 220V oven you use for a small item that could go in the West Bend instead. It's a keeper!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it so far, February 9, 2009
Well-constructed, although this oven is by no means a commercial unit. Everything works and it's not what I would call an ugly appliance.

I have rotisseried a couple of chickens and they were delicious and clean up was easy. Next time, I will put a sheet of aluminum foil in the drip pan, and cleanup will be almost nil. I've also used the warm function on vegetables. I haven't used the toast, grill, or bake functions yet, so I can't comment on those.

One note: the convection function is not user controllable. It's either on or off depending on the mode you choose. For example, rotisserie mode uses convection, and the warm mode does not.

There is a lot of noise when the convection fan is running. It's caused by the grilling rack vibrating in it's slot, and can probably be eliminated with a little creative bending.

Edit 4/13/09
Well, many weeks have gone by and I'll say this is a great little oven. For the money, I'd give it 5 stars. I've used all the functions. Toast does bread perfectly, but takes a lot of time. If you're not in a hurry, it's they way to go. I've used bake for pizza and grilled vegetables with good results. I've rotisseried a 4.5 lb chicken with no problems. 3 lbs is the max recommended. If you get bird centered and balanced on the spit there is no problem. I've gotten used to the little noises this unit makes and don't notice them anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars large countertop oven, December 17, 2007
This countertop oven was ordered as a gift for my mother in law. She told us she is very satified and it is large enough for her to cook a pie or a chicken very well. She wanted something large enough to replace her old conventional oven that blew and this does the job. It has it's limitations I'm sure (it can't do a turkey) but for everyday oven usage it does great.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK so far, April 8, 2006

First Impression:

This oven is made in China. Out of the box, the packing materials seem a bit shoddy, but the oven and accessories are of acceptable quality. There are slight comestic imperfections to the finish of the pastic-glass door, and the stainless steel exterior doesn't have a even polished shine. Overall, the oven looks utilitarian rather than stylish. The three dials on the side are for setting the temperature, the cooking option, and the timer. The oven heats up rather slowly, and the exterior will get quite hot. I will experiment with the oven and add more details to this review. For now, I will rate it 3 stars since it is working ok.

Note that this oven is actually 17 in. width x ~12 in. height x ~11 in. depth. The dimensions reported by Amazon is most likely those of the manufacturer's packaging for this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good buy for the money, February 27, 2009
Gene (Noo Joisey) - See all my reviews
Very useful for quick dinner preparation for two-three people without heating up the kitchen by using an oven. Suggested cooking times stated in instruction booklet as well as instructions in general are accurate and
informative. Good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Chicken EVER!, July 5, 2007
Mark McCabe (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a NEAT little unit. First day I got it, I bought a chicken (good sized one, enough for 5 people) soaked in lemon, honey, fresh rosemary and some olive oil and banged it in. Just over an hour later it was ready - Tasty and juicy all the way through. It was worth the money just for that meal alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, May 17, 2009
I had been looking around for a while, trying to find the toaster oven that does it all...I had been looking mainly at cuisinart and cheaper version - black and decker. Eventually, when my older little toaster landed in trash, I revised my research again and found this one. I decided to purchase this toaster oven right away, mainly based on the number of options it offers; it not only toasts (more toasts can be done at the same time than in the regular toaster), but it also bakes, grills and has a rotisserie!

In addition it takes little time to heat up, it helps me save on gas bills (I no longer need to use my large oven to make bagel bites or pizza - yes it fits a pizza too...), it requires no work whatsoever - I just prepare the food, put it in, set the timer (the oven won't start unless you set the timer) and wait until it's done.

As for the looks, it looks great it my modern kitchen, although - as as another person below noticed - it has more of a utilitarian look. It looks exactly as in the photo, it doesn't have polished steel, but it does its work and it's not ugly.

The only concern that other users may have (it does not bother me), is the lid - when you open it does not support itself before slowly reaching the countertop, it will fall right on it, if you don't hold it.
And, it does get hot on the outside - but after all it is an oven that can reach 500 degrees - what else to expect...?

I would recommend this item!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Oven with Poor Controls, April 1, 2009
This West Bend rotisserie oven is sturdy, well-built, and attractive, but the mechanical controls are a problem.
The old-fashioned mechanical timer is hard to read and inaccurate for times less than 10 minutes. If you want to cook for less than 15 minutes, you must turn the knob past 15 minutes to power the off-switch and bell, then turn the knob back to the desired time. There is no "Turn past 15" instruction on the face of the timer. The timer can only be set up to one hour. For longer cooking times, the timer must be reset one or more times during cooking.
Also, the temperature sensor is 75 degrees low, so a 500 degree (max) setting is needed to cook an item at 425 degrees, and that is the highest temperature my oven can attain.
Having said that, the oven recently cooked a 7-1/3 pound turkey breast to perfection in three hours without the rotisserie, but I did have to reset the one-hour timer twice. It also does a good job on frozen pizza. But roasting nuts on a pan showed that the temperatures across the pan are uneven in spite of the convection feature.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what it used to be, October 20, 2009
I purchased my oven in June '09 hoping it would be the same excellent quality of my former (same model) oven. I am very disappointed in the construction of thin, poorly insulated metal causing excessive EXTERIOR heat. You cannot touch this machine once heated. The motor is noisey, it rattles continuously, and the expansion/contraction sounds continue.The door hinges do not have a "stop" - the door just flops open falling onto the countertop unlike the older ovens. The oven bakes well; the size, both interior & exterior, are excellent being the primary reason I purchased this model again. Over the years I have owned West Bend toasters, roasters & coffee pots always very pleased with the products and loved my former "toaster oven" model 74706!

I could not recommend the current West Bend #74706 until construction quality is improved. This is a manufacturer problem, not AMAZON.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Oven, January 25, 2009
Mitchell (Benicia, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
When I first used this oven, smoke came out of the vent on the top and set off the smoke detecter in my house. That wasn't too cool, but it went away quickly and since then it's worked very well. I like to use it to bake a potato or two and it works great for that. I set the temp at 450 and in 45 minutes they're done. It's quiet and the door doesn't let out hot air like other ovens I've had in the past. The top and sides do get very hot so don't put anything on top. I'd reccomend it. It's a great oven. So far.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›