5.0 out of 5 stars I love this popper!
I shopped around quite a bit for a popcorn popper. I was tired of microwave stuff, and don't like the results from a hot-air popper.

Published on January 9, 2010 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars corn popper
Published on August 19, 2010 by Linda

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this popper!, January 9, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82386 Kettle Krazy Popcorn Popper and Nut Roaster (Kitchen)

There are several like this, with a motorized stirring rod and a cooking surface, but either they get poor reviews for reliability (Cuisinart), or were too expensive, difficult to maintain, scratched the Teflon cooking surface, etc.

This model is very similar to the West Bend Stir Crazy, but has two heat settings (nuts or popcorn) and - most importantly - a much thicker stirring rod. With the more basic Stir Crazy, the rod is thin and easily flexed (think coat-hanger) and diverted by the weight of the popcorn itself, causing it to be pressed into the Teflon surface while rotating, thus scratching the Teflon. This model has a MUCH thicker stirring rod (I took a few pictures and added them above to demonstrate) that never makes contact with the surface.

The popper pretty much performs like it's supposed to. I was curious to see if the lid stayed in place while popping a full batch, because is simply sits on top and is only held in place by the weight of the cover. It does in deed stay put.

It doesn't seem to matter what brand of popping corn you use. Name brand or generic seem to perform the same - very well. I have never used the butter well, because I don't like how you wind up with a few soggy bits of corn rather than all of it having a consistent flavor and texture. I've experimented some and found that simply adding several pats of butter to the oil and corn does a great job of giving you a nice mild butter flavor. I thought maybe the butter would burn, but that did not happen. I also reduced the oil by 1/2T Spoon, but don't recommend reducing the oil much more than that, since the distributed hot oil is what promotes the rapid kernel popping. I also added salt directly to the oil and popping corn at the beginning of the process, which worked well enough, but was more difficult to clean in the end. I'm also worried that it might over time scratch the Teflon surface, so I don't plan to do that again.

The bowl is moderate thickness, and appears fairly sturdy. It is not flexible, so I imagine a hard drop might crack it. Because it is a hard clear plastic, it is susceptible to scratching if you use any kind of abrasive to clean it. I'm not sure why you would, considering it only takes a bit of soap and hot water to clean popcorn/oil/butter residue, but whatever.

Finally, it comes with a few recipes in the manual. We've tried a couple and they turned out well. One of them was Scotcheroo Popcorn - which is a sort of gooey sweet treat that includes chocolate and butterscotch chips.

All together we are really, really happy with this popper. I recommend it without hesitation.

UPDATE: UPDADE: I often wonder about these reviews. 99% of the good reviews are written in the first few days of ownership. This tell you nothing of the longevity of the product. So, I am back after a year to tell you that I still love this popper. It still does a great job, and has had absolutely no issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple "FIX" Gave It 5 Stars * * * * *, February 18, 2010
OK.. I could not wait to get this popper. I checked the reviews..and decided that this was the one. Amazon got it here super fast...and that was a Plus (+)
First batch I did...was a 4 Quart, and did the butter in the tower thing, and followed the instructions to a "T".

Flipped the batch over after unplugging the machine, and in doing so, Half the batch spilled when I was startled from my thumbs being burned (not seriously) as I started to flip. No Big Deal, and I was able to quickly salvage the popped corn that didn't fall on the floor. Ha Ha Ha

My husband cooled and cleaned the machine and did a batch by using 2 of the microwave buttered pop C. Just broke it up a bit after cutting open the bag..and I'm saying to myself,"Why not just micro pop it?" Well there is a good answer.
Everytime we Microwave pop, IT "BURNS". Hubby will not eat it.

NOW! With the WB Krazy Popper....the Popcorn came out beautifully popped, and white, and not a bit burned.

Also...on all the popping, there were only few unpopped kernels. Great in my books.
As for the Lid sliding off, and the little thumb burn from the handle where the screw mount is installed.....Dear Hubby just picked up two of those Binder Clips from the office supply....The big super ones, I guess 2" (inch) size, and now I just clip one on each handle to clip the Bowl and keep it in place so it doesn't fall off when inverting the machine and the corn. Also By not having to worry about the bowl slipping while inverting, I have better control over getting burned.

I know I should use common sense while working with hot items and such, but a little extra engineering from the manufacturer on the handle design would help a lot. But I know that will never happen, so the 49 cents fix finally lets me give this machine 5 stars. Or at least 4 stars to West Bend and 1 star to my husband!
So...if you buy this one....I recommend it. ps: Buy some binder clips too. I believe Amazon would sell them too!/?

4.0 out of 5 stars Kettle Krazy - great product, February 8, 2010
3 suggestions for improvements: (1) the power cord is too short - should be twice as long; (2) would be nice to have a cover for the clear plastic bowl in which the popping is done, to temporarily store the popped popcorn; (3) the top of the retaining nut, which holds the stir rod to the heating base, should be convex, not concave. The concave top of this part catches unpopped kernels, preventing them from falling back onto the heating base, and preventing them from popping.

The time required for popping, and the instructions for the amounts of popcorn & oil to use are very accurate. The unit is easy to clean & maintain.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes, GET THIS ONE, March 7, 2010
Rocco Paperiello (Yellowstone National Park) - See all my reviews
I was a bit worried about any popcorn popper of this kind after seeing all the bad reviews of other brands from weak and too thin stirrers, to Teflon coming off. But I tried this one with its good reviews.

So I'd like to add mine. I would recommend this one definitely.

It is easy to use, easy to clean, and pops most of the corn even without using so-called `premium' brands. And no burnt kernels! No burnt anything. If there is any negative at all, I am just a bit worried about the clear plastic bowl/lid. I would have liked to have a thicker one. But so far so good. The rest of the popper is quite ruggedly made. Nice heavy base, and well constructed stirrer.

One thing I also like is that I can add what `flavors' I like right to the oil. Something I did not like about the much harder to use hot air poppers.

April 07, 2012
Two years later and still working very well. I still recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kettle Krazy has Klass!, April 26, 2010
My family members(five households) have all used West Bend Stir Crazy Popcorn Poppers for YEARS. Big fans! But when I needed a replacement this time I spotted the ad for the West Bend Kettle Krazy and decided to give it a try. I am very pleased with my ohoice. The Kettle Krazy is a Klassy upgrade. It is handsome styling with a safer, more healthy design. The stirring wand is heavier duty (will not bend out of shape) and is bolted to the machine in a different style which is seamless (no grease seeping through to inner mechanisms)and more securely positioned (so it can't scrape the teflon surface). Through the years I used Crisco to make my popcorn but the Kettle Krazy stresses using oil. I reluctantly have switched but find the corn is still tasting good and most health authorities say this is a better way to go. So all in all I feel this was a very good upgrade and well worth the additional $10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Popper!, January 24, 2010
Browsed around Amazon for good popper. Was looking at the Whirley-Pop when I came to this one. I figured, why should I stand by the stove cranking a handle when this machine does all that for you. It cost a little more, but it's kinda cool to just sit there and watch this cool machine do all the work. I followed the directions, added store brand popcorn and some Orville Redenbacher buttery flavor popping and topping oil and enjoyed a excellent batch of popcorn. The machine appeares to be of good quality. Nice"n" sturdy. I'm sure there's endless ways to make popcorn the way you like. It also doubles as a nut roaster. Great popper! Highly recommened!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun little item, November 27, 2009
I like this popper/roaster.. When roasting nuts, it is an easy cleanup if you follow the directions given. The only draw back is that you can only roast 1 cup at a time. But-the results are good. The popper works well......

5.0 out of 5 stars Best popcorn popper I've owned, May 8, 2010
mw2 (the 'burgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I make popcorn once, sometimes 2x/day. I've burned out a Stir Crazy Westbend maker and gone through a Salton popper. I agree w/all the reviews about how great this popper is and how the design issues have been solved w/this model. You really have to be careful about the heat, not a model kids could handle.

3.0 out of 5 stars corn popper, August 19, 2010
I love the heavy duty stem for stirring. I don't like the lid doesn't fit tight onto base. I called company, it's suppose to be for venting. the top has holes to vent. it pops good, just don't use too much oil, or else when you tip upside down, it will run out.also unlike the other stir crazy,the cord doesn't disconnect from machine, harder to clean,otherwise machine does a good job of popping the corn.I haven't tried nuts, so I don't know how that does.

4.0 out of 5 stars David, December 23, 2009
Works totally as advertised. We bought to replace a standard West Bend Stir Crazy. I makes great popcorn just like the old one with the benefit of keeping the heating coils out of the cooking oil's harm's way. The higher pedetal where the stir bar is attached keeps the oil in the pan and precludes it from seeping into the heating element part. Great idea.

Updated 02/23/2012 -- downgraded from 5 stars to 4 stars for the following:

1: The knob that holds the stirrer in-place, separated from the screw-post that attaches to popper. As the unit is over 2 years old and out of warranty. Therefore, to replace the knob from WestBend would cost about $15.00 (which includes shipping, handling and tax)! I just found a compatable bolt with metal washer. Now I have to use philips screwdriver to remove; but, the stirrer is secure--cost just a couple of pennies verses $15.00. Note, that a new knob from WestBend cost is almost 50% of the price for a whole new unit!
2: It would be nicer if the chord was longer and detachable--workable, but; a bit inconvenient.
3: We now use plastic clamps to hold down lid during popping phase to preclude the lid from coming off. (We don't put butter or seasoning in the top; so, we always have the black top lid cover off to let the steam out during the popping process.) We use to manually hold the lid down; but, without wearing gloves or hot pad mittens we would routinely get hot grease splatters during the process. :-(

Bottom line, makes great popcorn, every week. Without question, we would buy again.