5.0 out of 5 stars Great for roasting coffee
Published on November 25, 2010 by Wesley

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible popper mess!!!!!
Published on June 3, 2010 by Linda Wallace

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for roasting coffee, November 25, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
I do not use this machine to pop popcorn. I only use this to roast coffee...AND it does a great job. The hot air vents are on the side where the coffee is roasted, so it spins around. It has the same hot air vents as the popular West Bend Poppery II. This popper is 1040 watts compared to the Poppery II 1200 watts. BUT it is still enough to achieve a nice dark roast if desired. Because of the less wattage, you have to use a little less green coffee beans. Normally I use a half cup of green coffee beans with my Poppery II...with this one I use a little less than a half cup. It achieves a full city roast in about 7 minutes. Unlike the Poppery II, the plastic sides get very hot and you will have to use oven mitts to dump the roasted coffee in the cooling pan. I bought 2 of these so I could use one while the other is cooling in front of a fan...it makes it go a lot quicker. If you want to try to get into roasting coffee, this is a good inexpensive way to do it. Get your green coffee beans from either Coffee Bean Direct OR Sweet Maria's online. I suggest to try beans from Sumatra, Kenya, Costa Rica, and/or Guatemala.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and it works!, April 6, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
My family wanted to try healthier non-microwave popcorn, but we weren't terribly impressed with the ones at our local Walmart and Target. As you see from the reviews for the Pop-Lite, that one has no on/off switch, whereas this one does!

I actually stumbled on this at Marshalls for $19.99 and liked the look much better! We have only popped with it once so far, but it popped all but 4 kernels out of a 1/3 cup unpopped kernels. Fed my family of 4 well for a snack with a little melted butter and salt. Did not use the butter melter option on the machine. Just used the microwave to melt the butter- easier clean up and less concern about ruining a necessary part of the popper.

Popcorn does come out blazing hot and with continued spiral force from the popping, but it is all ok, kids thought it was a great show. So far, I am just as happy as the 300+ people who commented on the Pop-lite, and probably happier because I have an on/off switch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible popper mess!!!!!, June 3, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
This popper is horrible. I had to send it back! The kernels just shot out all over the place!!! The base got so hot it shut off by itself!!! There was na terrible burning smell!!! I unplugged and sent it back!!! This is a fire hazzard mess. It seems like there is not enough pressure popping the corn. Extreme dangerous heat in base.... Beware.... Amazon is great though, I was issued a refund within a week. Free shipping both ways, so no complaint there.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slick design meets poor engineering, April 16, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
This is a very nice looking Corn Popper until you actually use it. First I'd say this popper only "pops" 80% of the corn you put in it (the rest will simply get thrown into the bowl as is), second, while the popping occurs, you might want to stand back as the corn is flying out of this thing and will go all over your kitchen. They must have designed it to be used with a special bowl that I don't have and the result is a mess ... literally.

Once you get over all of that, the popcorn is eatable.

1.0 out of 5 stars engineering disaster, December 28, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
PROS:
-on off stitch
-cord wind up on bottom
-butter melting tray

CONS:
-won't spit the popcorn out of it so it burns, air motor is to weak
-clear plastic top does not snap on, it just sits there and can easily be bumped off.

It's a popcorn popper; how complicated could it be to remake a design that has been around for as long as I can remember. It seams they have huge air motor problems. Half the people say it blows to hard and shoots the popcorn all over where the other half, like mine say it isn't strong enough to spit the popcorn out. I am not expecting a miracle just something that works.

1.0 out of 5 stars No backing from company, May 10, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
This popper worked fine for the first few uses but on about the third use it emitted a puff of smoke and quit. Now the company wants me to pay the postage to send it in--that is not worth the time and effort. This "made in China" popper is just junk. I do not recommend this product at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke After 5 Uses, April 22, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
My old West Bend air popcorn popper lasted 16 years, before my son knocked it off the table and cracked the housing unit. I was excited to see that West Bend was releasing a new model in red, which would match my other appliances. I waited an extra few weeks for the new model, instead of purchasing the less attractive, albeit highly rated, Poplite. The Air Crazy was as pretty as I hoped, but on the first use, the fan sounded a little weak and unsteady compared to my last one. Then on the fifth use, the mechanism that circulates the popcorn and blows it out of the machine stopped working. Perhaps I just got a lemon, but I am returning this one and opting for a poplite this time.

1.0 out of 5 stars May Catch Fire!!!!, January 18, 2012
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
When I bought this popper and plugged it in for the first time, it started smoking within 5 seconds so I turned it off and read the instructions which said, "A small amount of smoke and/or odor may occur upon heating..." With this in mind I decided to try it again and after 10 seconds it started producing copious amounts of stinky black smoke so I hurriedly put it outside where I then noticed it was on fire. I am mostly shocked at how quickly this appliance caught fire, if I hadn't been paying such close attention it could have ended very badly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best popper for roasting coffee!, November 16, 2010
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
I have not tried popping popcorn in this popper, as I bought it for the soul purpose of roasting coffee.
For this use, it's excellent! It's got very good airflow, enough to toss the green coffee beans around and roast them evenly, it also reaches the right temperature, around 400 degrees without tripping the overheat shutoff. In 8-12 minutes it roasts the beans perfectly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good choice for coffee roasting, September 11, 2012
This review is from: West Bend 82416 Air Crazy 3.5 Quart Corn Popper (Kitchen)
I was looking for the Popperty II and this is what came up. The problem: the Air Crazy just doesn't get hot enough to get you to a vienna roast. I assume that either there is a limiter on the heating element or the wattage isn't high enough. In other news, the airflow is also a little light - meaning you have to stick to > 1/2 cup of beans at a time. I'm thumbs down on this for coffee.

Of course now my wife has a near new popcorn popper that looks pretty!

Rate and Discover Movies