Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Color: Red|Change

on November 25, 2010
I do not use this machine to pop popcorn. I only use this to roast coffee...AND it does a great job. The hot air vents are on the side where the coffee is roasted, so it spins around. It has the same hot air vents as the popular West Bend Poppery II. This popper is 1040 watts compared to the Poppery II 1200 watts. BUT it is still enough to achieve a nice dark roast if desired. Because of the less wattage, you have to use a little less green coffee beans. Normally I use a half cup of green coffee beans with my Poppery II...with this one I use a little less than a half cup. It achieves a full city roast in about 7 minutes. Unlike the Poppery II, the plastic sides get very hot and you will have to use oven mitts to dump the roasted coffee in the cooling pan. I bought 2 of these so I could use one while the other is cooling in front of a fan...it makes it go a lot quicker. If you want to try to get into roasting coffee, this is a good inexpensive way to do it. Get your green coffee beans from either Coffee Bean Direct OR Sweet Maria's online. I suggest to try beans from Sumatra, Kenya, Costa Rica, and/or Guatemala.
2222 comments|238 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2010
My family wanted to try healthier non-microwave popcorn, but we weren't terribly impressed with the ones at our local Walmart and Target. As you see from the reviews for the Pop-Lite, that one has no on/off switch, whereas this one does!

I actually stumbled on this at Marshalls for $19.99 and liked the look much better! We have only popped with it once so far, but it popped all but 4 kernels out of a 1/3 cup unpopped kernels. Fed my family of 4 well for a snack with a little melted butter and salt. Did not use the butter melter option on the machine. Just used the microwave to melt the butter- easier clean up and less concern about ruining a necessary part of the popper.

Popcorn does come out blazing hot and with continued spiral force from the popping, but it is all ok, kids thought it was a great show. So far, I am just as happy as the 300+ people who commented on the Pop-lite, and probably happier because I have an on/off switch.
11 comment|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 16, 2010
This is a very nice looking Corn Popper until you actually use it. First I'd say this popper only "pops" 80% of the corn you put in it (the rest will simply get thrown into the bowl as is), second, while the popping occurs, you might want to stand back as the corn is flying out of this thing and will go all over your kitchen. They must have designed it to be used with a special bowl that I don't have and the result is a mess ... literally.

Once you get over all of that, the popcorn is eatable.
1010 comments|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 10, 2010
This popper worked fine for the first few uses but on about the third use it emitted a puff of smoke and quit. Now the company wants me to pay the postage to send it in--that is not worth the time and effort. This "made in China" popper is just junk. I do not recommend this product at all.
33 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2010
PROS:
-on off stitch
-cord wind up on bottom
-butter melting tray

CONS:
-won't spit the popcorn out of it so it burns, air motor is to weak
-clear plastic top does not snap on, it just sits there and can easily be bumped off.

It's a popcorn popper; how complicated could it be to remake a design that has been around for as long as I can remember. It seams they have huge air motor problems. Half the people say it blows to hard and shoots the popcorn all over where the other half, like mine say it isn't strong enough to spit the popcorn out. I am not expecting a miracle just something that works.
on June 3, 2010
This popper is horrible. I had to send it back! The kernels just shot out all over the place!!! The base got so hot it shut off by itself!!! There was na terrible burning smell!!! I unplugged and sent it back!!! This is a fire hazzard mess. It seems like there is not enough pressure popping the corn. Extreme dangerous heat in base.... Beware.... Amazon is great though, I was issued a refund within a week. Free shipping both ways, so no complaint there.
on January 18, 2012
When I bought this popper and plugged it in for the first time, it started smoking within 5 seconds so I turned it off and read the instructions which said, "A small amount of smoke and/or odor may occur upon heating..." With this in mind I decided to try it again and after 10 seconds it started producing copious amounts of stinky black smoke so I hurriedly put it outside where I then noticed it was on fire. I am mostly shocked at how quickly this appliance caught fire, if I hadn't been paying such close attention it could have ended very badly!
on August 28, 2012
I had this popper for a few days. The popcorn kernels shoot out (all over the place) without popping, there are a lot of left-over un-popped kernels afterward (even with fresh kernels). HOWEVER, the biggest concern occurred when I was popping corn and the inside of the machine burst into flame. Smoke was pouring out and I could see flames inside. I was told, after I called the manufacturer that this is not uncommon with this particular model. Definitely won't be buying it again!
on April 22, 2010
My old West Bend air popcorn popper lasted 16 years, before my son knocked it off the table and cracked the housing unit. I was excited to see that West Bend was releasing a new model in red, which would match my other appliances. I waited an extra few weeks for the new model, instead of purchasing the less attractive, albeit highly rated, Poplite. The Air Crazy was as pretty as I hoped, but on the first use, the fan sounded a little weak and unsteady compared to my last one. Then on the fifth use, the mechanism that circulates the popcorn and blows it out of the machine stopped working. Perhaps I just got a lemon, but I am returning this one and opting for a poplite this time.
on December 20, 2011
Please do yourself a favor and don't buy this unit. It worked ok the first few times. It left a lot of unpopped kernels and it had a propensity to spit them out at you too. The fourth time I used it, it shut off by itself and then the popcorn caught fire. I'm assuming it shut off as a safety feature from getting too hot however, the trapped kernels and popcorn make for quite a combustible combination I used the a small amount every time. This unit is extremely unsafe and flawed.