"West Side Story" Blu-Ray problems?....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2011 3:13:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2011 3:14:36 PM PDT
E. Pierce says:
I've heard from some folks that there are problems with the new "West Side Story" blu ray-release. Has anyone got information on this??

Posted on Oct 28, 2011 1:38:06 PM PDT
j in boston says:
Robert Harris, a greatly respected film restorer, has written about the problems with the WSS blu disc at hometheaterforum.com. If you care about this film and, particularly if you were planning on shelling out big bucks for the big box, it's worth reading what he has to say and the discussion that follows.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2011 10:16:26 AM PDT
There are also problems with the Intermission music....the first several seconds are cut off.

Posted on Nov 13, 2011 3:42:02 PM PST
David Harris says:
I have the WSS dvd, I guess the first release as it's 1998. Very watchable, I'm not manic-anal-obsessive about having the latest of the late technology. But I am moving into blu-ray soon so I research all the things I like and see what's going wrong and what's making some astounding new releases!

The movie comes out in 2 days so I assume the clips shown on TV were accurate BR scenes, it certainly looked noticeable better even just on my set! What startled me, what make-up that now looks like blackface on some characters! Lame cliche but it stuck out like a sore thumb on certain actors. It could've perhaps been that "smudging" technique that I read about and saw on "BTTF". Or maybe just the total clear crisp picture finally showed details more subtly hidden 50 years ago. Like when you dim the stage lights just right to affect an illusion.

Anyone chime in if what I'm seeing is right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2011 10:04:25 PM PST
j in boston says:
You're right about the make-up. Rita Moreno has recounted in many interviews her objections to the brown make-up smeared all over the actors.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 10:32:43 PM PST
Thank you. It seems that Suits cant be entrusted to anything these days!

Posted on Nov 21, 2011 9:16:10 AM PST
Shakti says:
My new blu-ray copy was defective and has been returned to Amazon. I have 3 blu-ray players & the dvd 'jumped' more that 5 times in all 3 machines! Also, the opening sequence.... 'break into black' (mentioned above).... was a huge 4 seconds long. An entire color bar (green) was missing! Then, the film froze & restarted, when we first see a recognizable New York City .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2011 3:06:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2011 3:09:59 PM PST
Chazzz says:
The colors are screwed up on both the previous DVD and this Blu-ray. The green you remember from the DVD was totally incorrect, and the fade to black you're seeing on the Blu-ray "replaces" the green. At least one other color is totally wrong. For some reason, the studio has been totally incompetent in releasing West Side Story with the Overture CORRECT.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 2:07:18 PM PST
MICHAEL says:
Posted: Dec 31, 2011 - 5:44 AM
By: Panavision70 (Member)

The Digital Bits announces fix for the West Side Story blu-ray.

Following quoted from http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Okay... we've got one important bit of news to bring you today, which is that we've finally heard back from 20th Century Fox and MGM as to how you can go about exchanging your copy of West Side Story on Blu-ray for a fixed one with the corrected opening titles, and also how you'll be able to spot the fixed version "in the wild".

To request a replacement copy of MGM's West Side Story Blu-ray, please call 877-369-7867 (M-F, 8 AM-5 PM PST) or email support@foxcustomercare.com. They'll arrange a way to make the swap.

As for fixed discs in stores, there is no call out on the packaging to distinguish versions, so you'll need to check the UPC barcodes. The corrected versions carry the following codes:

For the Blu-ray Single: UPC #88390424523082
For the Blu-ray Box Set: UPC #88390424521681

So there you have it. Thanks to our friends at Fox and MGM for providing the information.

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 5:07:03 AM PST
Lee K. Chim says:
Anyone know if I place the order in Amazon now, will I get the correct version or not

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 10:15:04 AM PST
MICHAEL says:
Yes! Received my copy today it has the sticker of the new UPC #88390424523082 placed over the old! So go ahead and order it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2012 3:06:09 PM PST
Lee K. Chim says:
Great news, thanks!
I emailed Amazon before the post but they can't confirm, anyway...

Posted on Jan 19, 2012 4:05:03 PM PST
Chazzz says:
Please report back here on how the correction(s) look. My understanding is that they were only fixing the transition from red to blue in the Overture, but I've also heard from a couple of people that it still doesn't look right. Haven't yet seen it myself, so am hoping for the best. Thanks.

Posted on Jan 27, 2012 4:14:44 PM PST
W. Yang says:
I got a copy from Amazon today and it wasn't the corrected version. I'll be sending it back, unfortunately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2012 4:31:46 PM PST
MICHAEL says:
Hi, did it have the sticker of the new UPC #88390424523082 placed over the old!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 9:28:04 PM PST
Matt D. says:
I bought a copy today at a store and payed a few dollars more for it than I would have on Amazon just because I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of having to send back a copy that was in fact the "bad" version. Well, I made sure I found a copy with the UPC above, and it still had the green in between the red and blue. I'm pretty disappointed.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 1:59:02 PM PDT
mplo says:
As much as I love the film West Side Story from the bottom of my heart (it's my alltime favorite movie...hands down!), I do not plan on getting the new Blu-Ray DVD version of it for the following reasons:

A) I do not have a Blu-Ray (or any kind of DVD) player.

B) I prefer to see this great classic as it's really meant to be viewed...on a great big, wide screen, in a real movie theatre, with the lights down low, and to share this great experience with a whole bunch of other people, whether I know them or not.

C) I have heard/read enough about the problems with the Blu-Ray version of West Side Story that came out last fall for me to be interested in obtaining a copy of it, and to be disappointed. Without knowing all of the facts, West Side Story is a beautiful classic film that deserves far better treatment than it received when it was made into this disastrous Blu-Ray copy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x960c7258)

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
West Side Story (50th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray]
West Side Story (50th Anniversary Edition) [Blu-ray] by Natalie Wood (Blu-ray - 2011)
4.6 out of 5 stars   (727)