5.0 out of 5 stars Best travel clock I've found
Published 18 months ago by jhl

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
Published 12 months ago by Jeffrey M

5.0 out of 5 stars Best travel clock I've found, June 27, 2013
This review is from: Westclox Digital LCD Travel Alarm Clock with Temperature Display and Protective Folding Case 72018 (Home)
I don't travel a lot (3-4 times a year), but when I do, I really like to have a travel clock - checking the time when I wake up in a strange room in the dark is somehow reassuring to me! I used a clock for ages that was ok, but on a recent trip, every time I used the "light-up" feature to check the time, it reset itself to 12:00 am. Argh. I went off to target and bought the one travel clock they had, but from the get-go it did exactly the same thing! Travel clocks here on Amazon don't get very good reviews, so I took a shot on this as-yet-unreviewed Westclox model, and as it turned out, it has worked beautifully for me. The stand is very solid and transforms into a cover to protect the clock face and setting buttons in your suitcase. It's easy to read, and setting the time and alarm is completely straightforward (did clocks become so tricky when everyone started to use their phones instead?). It uses a button battery, so there's not much weight to it, and I like the temperature feature, which seems pretty accurate. All in all, I've been very satisfied with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Snooze/Light button DOES exist, September 16, 2013
Original review 3 stars: I bought this travel alarm clock to take camping with me. I didn't want an alarm really, I wanted the time and temperature. I was very disappointed that the button for the Snooze/Light was not there because any time I wanted to see the time in the dark I had to use a flashlight. If the button for the backlight was there I would give this travel alarm clock 5 stars.
Update:Just this weekend I found the Snooze/Light button. It's a very thin curved button. I thought it odd where the button is and then finally realized that when you set the clock up on its "stand" that the end of the stand rests on the button perfectly and that's how you "PUSH" the snooze/light button, just push down on the top of the clock when the stand is in place. I actually spent this weekend away, took the clock with me, and was not going to give up until I figured out where the button is. It may be in the instructions but admittedly I didn't read them thoroughly. I now give this travel clock 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars WOOPS! I'D DOWNGRADE IT TO 3+ OR 4 STARS, October 2, 2013
Gary Brown (Laguna Hills, CA) - See all my reviews
At first, I thought the clock did not have a backlight (or any light)! I read this about it in one review, but thought Amazon would certainly straighten it out before selling any more. But, after some experimenting, I found the backlight, and the clock also has all the other features I want.

The secret to finding the backlight is to set up its self-contained stand to use the clock in normal desktop operation (i.e. set it on a tabletop). Then, to see the backlight, push the top of the clock towards the back. If the clock slides backwards, you may find it easier to lightly grasp the two sides of the clock between your thumb and ring finger, then push the top of the clock back with your index finger. The light is bright enough to read, but not so bright that it wakes up your sleeping partner. It only stays on for a few seconds - GREAT, in my opinion.

The clock is very easy to set and operate, although the setting buttons, which are on the back, are fairly small, and require either good eyesight, or good glasses. After you set the alarm, you can see on the display that it's set, and for what time (this feature alternates [by your button choice] with the date - you choose to see one or the other). My eyesight's not too good, so I'd prefer a larger screen display, but all of my desired features (exactly what Amazon says) are there.

UPDATE - 2/10/2014

I've now had this clock for a while, and am not quite so thrilled about it. Its marginal lighting makes it hard to read in the dark, and the small size makes it hard to read even in the light, unless you have young eyes. I've found that it's harder to set than I first thought - the buttons are small, and somewhat "hidden" on the backside. This is still the best all-around clock that has a temperature that I've found, but I'd like it to be bigger and easier to set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, December 20, 2013
Jeffrey M (Paterson, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Does what it's supposed to do but it has some flaws. The backlight only lights when manually pressed but it only stays on for what seems like 2 seconds, not enough time to read IMO. Additionally, my night table is even with my bed and at that angle it is impossible to see the display without either picking up the clock or almost sitting up. The last con is that to activate the light and the snooze the folded back cover actuates a "hidden" button but there needs to be some type of non-skid on the bottom of the clock so it doesn't slide all over when the button us pushed. This last fault is hard to visualize until you see how the snooze/light feature works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great..., August 4, 2013
...once I figured it out. Some have complained, but I like that the clock isn't lit up all the time. It's quite bright when you push it properly but be sure to read the directions so it's set up correctly. The alarm took me a while to grasp though. The alarm is on when you see the bells on the display - that's all you need to remember.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little clock, October 17, 2013
This clock is easy to use; easy to set, easy to read in both daylight and night, small and light so it will travel well for me. It ieven has a a cover to protect it when travelling, which folds back into the stand. I'm really happy with this purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful clock, December 9, 2013
The alarm is so soft that it does not wake me! It makes me think it's wispering, "Oh, I hope I'm not disturbing you." I had to set it when I was awake to be sure it was working at all, and then had to really listen to hear it. I really wanted to send it back, but it seemed like too much trouble, and I hadn't kept the wrapper. My fault, but the one bad thing about ordering on line is the bother of sending something back if it doesn't work right.

3.0 out of 5 stars so-so, September 1, 2013
I thought the item would be larger. Because if its size the controls do not function easily. It works well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Display may be difficult to see at certain angles, October 24, 2013
The clock seems to be made well, though the display is hard to see if you are above it, or too far bellow it. What this means is that if it sits on the night stand next to your bed you will have a hard time seeing the numbers unless you are parallel with it. Hope this helps....

5.0 out of 5 stars A practical alarm clock, January 6, 2014
Ronald Beattie (Columbia, SCUnited States) - See all my reviews
The clock has everything I wanted. It is well illuminated, an easy to set alarm which is somewhat subdued soundwise. The settings are clearly marked and easy to set. It is small, easy to carry and fits in a pocket.