Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM

on September 25, 2013
It's hard to justify $20 for a stamped pieces of plastic and some mounting hardware, but it does do a great job in transforming the light output of the Rapid Box to something more along the lines of a beauty dish.

The dish can be mounted two ways; concave out or concave in. I haven't really experimented with the differences, though I'm sure the differences would mainly be in the edge feathering, particularly if using it without the front diffuser panel. If you're using a Rapid Box and finding too many hot spots across skin, using this to ensure that all light hitting the subject is coming off of the silver lining can definitely help out the overall quality of your images.

I suppose the glass-half-full explanation could be that by NOT including this in the original product, those who just want a simple softbox save a few bucks. *shrug*
on November 6, 2013
I use this plate in reverse. This provides better reflection and bouncing of the light around the box. I compared it in the normal and reverse positions, and I think I'm having more light output when it's in reverse.
on September 11, 2013
Severely reduces hot spots when used with the Rapid Box on shoots. Honestly they should just raise the price of the kit and throw this in.
on October 23, 2013
I purchased this for use with the Westcott Rapid box. It does a much better job at distributing the light then using the Westcott rapid box without it. I just wish they would have included this automatically with the Westcott Rapid Box.
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2013
You are only getting about 75% of the functionality from your RapidBox if you don't use this for a beauty dish function. Awesome, actually, how great the light is. Adds just enough highlights to portraits to give them an edge without harshness.
on March 21, 2016
It's what I wanted, and was easy to use. My only complaint is I wish the mounting screw had a finger grip texture on it because mine keeps getting locked and and I'm forced to find a screwdriver or back edge of a knife to loosen it. Otherwise works great!
on July 20, 2015
I hate this because it should already come with all of their products, and more importantly it isnt worth what you pay for it... Ultimately you could probably make this thing, take a trip to your local hardware store for about $3... I had read a review somewhere that someone received a plastic dish. Mine was at least metal...
on April 27, 2016
I like this as a soft box and how it goes together, it really is great. But this whole thing about buying the deflector is puzzling it casts an awful shadow and as far as I can tell is worthless. Much better without the deflector, perhaps that why it doesn't come with it. This seems to also negate the whole beauty dish thing not sure because I don't really use a beauty dish but was interested in trying it. As it is working for me I love it as a soft box but the cast shadow makes me question the whole design.
on October 11, 2013
I love how easy this is to use. This screws on quickly and gives great shape to the light. I love using it for portraits. Highly recommend getting this to use with your rapid box!
on September 15, 2013
Its a Deflector... not sure what else to say, but if you have a westcott rapid box, spend the extra cash to get one or two of these.