Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on March 30, 2014
Folds down and sets up quickly and is quite compact both in stowed form and in use. Because it is small, your best bet is to get it as close to your subject as possible -- preferably right out of frame. That gives you the softest light and the most control. Good in combination with Westcott Rapid Box 10x24" Strip.

Unlike many commenters, I want to add that you do NOT need the Beauty Dish Deflector Plate if you are using this in softbox configuration. I did some testing and found that the plate casts a significant shadow in the center, rather than just smoothing the light. If you want even, soft light, what you DO want is Sto-Fen OM-EZ Omni-Bounce Diffuser (or equivalent for your flash). If you don't have that, make sure to set your flash as wide as possible and pull down its wide-angle diffuser.

The included light stand is fine for the price; it's sturdy enough for indoor use and light outdoor usage, when all you are putting on it is this softbox and a speedlight. If you already have a light stand, or want a better one, and don't want the beauty dish, it's probably a better value to buy the Westcott Rapid Box 26" Octa Softbox alone. If you DO want to use the beauty dish configuration, you're basically getting the light stand for $10 when you pick the kit route, so, hey, why not.
on August 27, 2014
Having spent most of my life in lighting in the motion picture business, I can say that this is an excellent product! It is very well made and works perfectly for single portraits or small groups mostly. It is small enough to hand hold, if needed. It is a very well thought out design and works as promised. I have a few heavy duty stands in my garage and wanted something more light weight so ordered the kit. The stand is really perfect for indoor use and it should be used outdoors in calmer conditions. It will probably not hold up that well to strong winds unattended, but it really is a perfect balance with weight and sturdiness. My main comment here is really about the stand, as other reviews perfectly cover the box. this is probably a small issue to most folks, but the stand does not fit the box receiver properly. the stand has a 1/4"-20 threaded screw on top. I had to buy a 5/8" stud to 1/4-20 adapter for $10 from Amazon. Yes, the box bracket will fit the stand, but it is wobbly. The top of the stand is about 1/2" and the receiver is 5/8". You really need this added adaptor for it to fit snugly. for the price, I can certainly deal with it. $20 or whatever for a stand is dirt cheap. it would have cost them about 50 cents to throw in the adapter to make it fit perfectly. buy it and you will see what I mean. Otherwise, a great tool for the price! Buy it!
VINE VOICEon May 27, 2014
The advent of the uber-easy-to-use Canon 600 flashes with built-in wireless, this Wescott is the perfect match for beautiful diffused light anywhere you need it. First, it's so lightweight that an assistant can walk around all evening following you and getting the thing in the right spot in a hurry. Second, I set it up in about 90 seconds or less. Once you align the clamp to hold your flash in place, that's it, it stays that way forever (or until you loosen the clamp, lol). The clamp has a good amount of adjustable range up-and-down and in-and-out to pretty much accommodate any hot shoe flash. Third, it includes a carrying case which is great. Last and MOST important is the light: when you add the small beauty dish wish throws the light back onto the "umbrella", and then it passes through the removable diffusion cover, you're getting some nicely diffused modified light. As a fill for an outdoor portrait or even as a main light outside to achieve a darkened background, the size and portability make this a great setup. For outdoor portraits you often need the light source really close if you're not using $3000 ProPhoto packs with 1200 watt light. Because this Wescott is 26" and very portable, your assistant can lean the softbox JUST off frame and get it real close which will get you enough power for all but the brightest of sunny days (and that's a challenge here in Phoenix, lol!). Great unit, definitely buying a second one.
on February 5, 2014
this all in one kit is a great starter or add on to your already existing equipment...very portable and well made....my only concern is that if you are using this outdoors, you may need a sandbag or two to keep the stand from falling...or an assistant
on August 27, 2014
It's just OK; i expected more from Company like Westcott. My largest complain is for Flash bracket design - too small to comfortably use with SB-900 and PwerWizard FlexTT5 flash trigger. The cold Shoe is very cheap - there are no moving parts - just a large opening with a screw on the side, and the screw is what pushes on the flash foot and holds the flash secure. If your Speedlight foot is plastic - you’ll make dent in Speedlight's plastic. The groove in the cold shoe is very narrow and touches TTL contacts on my flash or FlexTT5, making flash to malfunction. Using an extension TTL cord to connect wireless flash trigger make this combo even more expensive and not really convenient to use. I bought a replacement Stroboframe cold shoe as a replacement, but anti-twisting/rotating pin on Stroboframe shoe is larger than the slot on Westcott's Flash bracket, so i just returning the kit. Included "beauty" dish plate is not really a replacement for the real beauty dish. Suggesting looking at
SMDV DIFF60 Speedbox Diffuser-60 as a softbox as an alternative
on June 30, 2016
This is my "go to" light. I use a different stand as I use it mostly outdoor for off camera flash. I have the dish diffuser too. You could probably get by without it. However it does basically the same as a beauty dish with it. You could probably get a lid off a small saucepan and make your own, but I like to "look" professional. Without the diffuser pan, I'd definitely use a diffuser on my flash to avoid a hot spot. It should be included vs an option. Didn't care for the light stand that came with the kit. I like a taller, wider base stand. Probably great for indoor use, but a little wind would knock it over. I tend to use the cheetah type stands (10') that open and close automatically so I'm not tripping on the legs as I'm walking and also great at a wedding or event when you push thru a crowd. Build quality is GREAT. a far cry above other brolly softboxes, etc. Very professional quality.I'll probably get another one ( stick with the larger one ) and the strip box is on my list too. I've seen many great shots done with this box and the strip box.
on November 28, 2013
This is a great $ saving kit...If you bought this separately you would be looking around $250..The light it gives to your portrait is amazing..I have a SB-700 that works well with this rapid box..The stand that comes with it rocks..Do'nt hesitate to grab this while you can before the price jumps up...
on June 19, 2016
1. The leg of the stand is stuck. It is hard to expand.
2. Couple umbrella ribs are not straight. As a result, the white cover is not closed properly.

Pros:
Good design.
Light weight

Cons:
Build quality does not meet my expectation
The light stand is weak
on August 28, 2014
Let me start with the con. I probably won't be using the light stand but what more to expect from a cheap addition to a kit. It's solid though, just a small footprint and probably couldn't handle a breeze even with weight bags at the feet.

Pro: The Octa is AMAZING! With the beauty dish reflector inside and diffusing sock attached it spreads the light wide and far! It's so much easier that carrying a beauty dish on location. The kit comes with a nice carry bag and everything folds up and easily placed inside of it. I'd give it 10 stars if I could. Super portable and amazing light!
on June 9, 2014
This product is so lovely and with a little practice you get great light with creative options. So easy to setup and the stand is great; you can tilt the head very easy. I would not hesitate to buy another one!!