5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive for the price, not silent
The drive is a great buy. It's fast, but not silent. The people saying it sounds like a coffee pot are ridiculously overstating the noise level. Yes, you can hear it during heavy writes/startup, but it is nowhere near a dealbreaker. It's probably louder than your case fans, but nothing that will make you regret your purchase unless you're building a PC aimed at silence.
Published on August 22, 2011 by Brandon

2.0 out of 5 stars Alright, until it crashed.
**update 8/6**

Published on July 22, 2011 by John

5.0 out of 5 stars Great drive for the price, not silent, August 22, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Have hope for these HDs yet, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Western Digital 1.5 TB WD Black SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
I originally looked for 2 - 1TB WD Black to recreate my RAID 1, after having had two failures with my Seagate Barracuda 1TB disks. What I found instead was 2 - 1.5TB WD Black disks for an extra nine dollars a piece, as compared to the 1TB disks. I bought them and were received in a few days. They seem to work fine as individual units, since I've had no time to recreate my RAID 1 yet.
I would like to point out that although I'm against oversized shipping boxes for no reason, I'm also against packing two heavy hard disks like the ones I received in a very small box without the proper space for the correct type of bubble wrap. It was the poorest packing I ever received and am afraid that all the bouncing during transit will catch up with me in the form of a premature failure of the units, once they go into service as originally intended.
I hope AMAZON will take action in this matter, since it seems to be a recurrent situation.
I rated the units at 4 stars because they are not guilty of the poor packaging.
Someone else deserves between zero and minus one star for the lack of common sense when preparing the units for shipment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drive, but noisy when head is active, June 2, 2011
I got this drive to place into a striped RAID configuration with an older, 32MB cache WD 750 Black drive.

Functionality-wise, this new drive works fine. The RAID volume is running and fast. Like with most hard drives, you want it to "just work" and it does. Not much to say here.

However, this drive is easily 3 times louder than its older WD counterpart! I haven't heard a drive with head seeks this noisy in a long time. It's not something I cannot ignore, and it's not the kind of sound you hear when a drive is failing, but take the "clicking" you heard on most drives when they're active and imagine them 3x louder. That's this drive.

I'm actually going to see if WD has a utility to control the acoustic mode of the drive. I've worked hard to build a quiet machine (with Noctua fans/etc.) but adding this drive has just set me back in that goal. It's livable, but definitely not ideal.

2.0 out of 5 stars Alright, until it crashed., July 22, 2011
John "alphajc" (Irvine, CA United States) - See all my reviews
**update 8/6**

I wanted to update my review. Today the hard drive crashed and was rendered unbootable. I was able to still retrieve data off it after docking it to a hard drive dock. I went back to my backup imaged WD Green 750GB hard drive for now and ordered the Green 1TB drive. I've had bad luck with the Blue and now the Black models crashing, never had issues with the Green so will return this back to Amazon and get that.

-I wanted to add the fact that there is no issues with Amazon's packaging...it is shipped in a small box via USPS and arrived in perfect condition.

My 750GB Western Digital Green hard drive was getting a bit old, so I bought a 750GB WD Black drive...hoping to get a speed boost from the 7200 RPM and extra cache. As far as I can see, I don't feel a speed increase. But nonetheless it's not any slower than the Green, and the noise level although loud is not a big deal because I have a noisier fan in my computer.

I think all Western Digital hard drives are reliable and fast (Blue, Green or Black) and you won't go wrong getting one. And if you do end up with a bummer, then their warranty service is excellent...and for the black you get 5 years (which by then the industry would have switched the SSD drives).

The True Image software that Western Digital provides for download on their website is a great piece of software which I use to image drives (ala Norton Ghost) for use as backup...if the hard drive ever crashes I just swap the back up in and I'm up and running.

Pros: Legendary Western Digital reliability, decent speed, availability of Imaging software from website, long warranty

Cons: a bit noisy, gets hot (if you want a hard drive that runs cool and quiet...but a little slower go with the Green series

3.0 out of 5 stars Great drive but very loud when tasked, February 5, 2011
As usual has produced an outstanding hard drive, especially considering the features and the price. I have purchased hard drives from multiple manufacturers and I keep coming back to WD for their reliability. And despite the comments below, I probably still will.

But beware o the noise this drive can make. It's quiet when under light loads. But if you're doing heavy reading/writing on the drive, the thing is loud. I could hear the thing going in the next room when I was doing a fresh install! It's the same issue when booting up. It's normal hard drive noise, but I haven't heard a hard drive this noisy since 1996 when I had my first computer.

If you don't mind the noise, this hard drive is a really great choice. But if you want a quiet experience, then this is definitely not an option.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great option for primary or secondary disk space, September 1, 2011
I purchased this to install Steam on since my boot drive was running out of space. I was running on (early SATA) Raid 0 config before and so far the caviar black seems to run things faster by itself than the raid setup. Eventually I plan to replace the old RAID setup with SSD but this drive was a great in-between option for me while I save up $$. If you are not looking for ultimate gaming performance I think this would be a great stand alone drive as well since it is quick and has plenty of storage. Sound is also an issue for me and so far the only way I can tell this is running is by the blinking HDD light on my case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive, February 12, 2012
Needed to upgrade for more room. I used WD before and this was a good price, considering that there are no more "great" prices since the Thailand floods. Easy installation, no bad sectors, no problems in 3 weeks of use. Quiet, fast and roomy. What more could you want? Well, cheaper, of course.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Drive for Dual Boot System, February 6, 2012
This disk was well packaged and protected from static. I received it ahead of schedule and was able to install it in a System 7/XP Pro 64 bit dual boot configuration with no issues. I used a spare SATA cable supplied with my PC to hook up the disk so I didn't even have to purchase a cable separately. The disk is performing quietly and very quickly so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Drive for a great price, December 26, 2011
I bought this drive when it was $60, before the flooding in Singapore and the following Hard Drive shortage. The drive arrived in a box that was barely bigger than the drive itself, so I was afraid of the drive being DOA due to mechanical shock. However, I've had this drive for over 2 months and not only has it not crashed, it boots Win7 in under 1 minute (using SATA III). WD drives have always operated reliably for me, and this one is no exception. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Data Drive but....., December 3, 2011
Ever since the devastating floods in Taiwan many mechanical drive manufacturers have been busy drying out their facilities. Believe me, I know how much work it is to get a class 10/100 cleanroom recertified and it will be time consuming and expensive. The supply of mechanical drives is becoming exhausted and the prices reflect the economics of supply/demand.
For the SSD market, things could not be brighter as production ramps up, costs go down. For the end user the choices are fewer but better than ever before when making price comparisons. That being said we now understand why prices for mechanical drives have doubled in the past six months.

Now for the WD 750Gb SATA III 64Mb cache:

This drive is likely one of the best offerings from Western Digital. Why? Because it has a large cache, can be set up in a raid array easily, and does not tax the 2.0 TB barrier of Windows 7. No need for work-arounds if you want four or five of these in a raid array. However, due to current prices, that is no longer econmical. The larger the drive the greater the idle time power consumption and random read/write latency. Okay for yesterdays computer, or a data drive today, but not a good choice for a boot drive.

Simply put, the WD 750Gb SATA III 64Mb cache drive is an excellent choice for data storage, has good response time and a good warranty. As big as Western Digital is, I have never had a problem with getting a replacment under warranty.