Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on March 28, 2010
In case anyone is wondering, this drive fits any Unibody MacBook Pro, including the 13", which is what I've installed it in. It also works on the pre-unibody 17" MacBook Pros.

WD 2.5" drives have always worked really well for me. This one is quiet and low power. It's not the fastest drive, but I'd rather have longer battery life than a faster drive. And of course as of this writing, it's the largest drive available at 1TB. Also, Disk Utility on OS X does format the drive to 1TB (minus a few MB for directory structure an such). Other platforms may format the drive to a much lower size (like 750GB) because this drive uses a new sector format, but this isn't an issue on OS X.

Finally, I can have my whole iTunes collection on my MacBook Pro!
1717 comments| 116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2010
I have had no issues and am very pleased with this drive. This is the largest capacity 2.5" drive currently available on the market and is the SATA drive I have been waiting for (unlike the 1TB hard drives inside Western Digital's 1TB Passport that has a soldered USB connection).

The drive is 12.5mm high compared to standard 9.5mm (due to 3 platters instead of the usual 2). The physical height is clearly advertised and I don't think anyone should penalize the rating of this drive simply becuase they didn't check before buying! The product is not at fault.

Just to be clear -- the drive will NOT fit into most laptops/notebooks with hard drive bays designed to snugly fit a standard 9.5mm drive. My Dell E1505 notebook is a perfect example: I unscrewed the existing hard drive and it is pretty obvious there isn't any space in the bay for an oversized 12.5mm drive. My Asus G51j on the other hand has a deeper drive bay and will fit the 1TB drive no problem. The drive can also fit into hard drive caddies that slot into the optical bay of a notebook IF you have the correct type of caddy.

I have write transfer rates of over 60MB/s as I copy files across to this drive for backup (I expect the transfer rate to slow down a bit as the drive fills up). The drive is very quiet and the operating temps are fine (I've seen it get up to 105F under heavy load versus advertised operating tolerance of up to 140F).
44 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 8, 2010
I purchased this drive for my 2009 Unibody 17" MacBook Pro and it rocks. It's speed is between the 7200 RPM 500 GB and the 5400 RPM 500 GB drives that come from Apple, but it is twice the storage. the 12.5 mm hight fits well within the Unibody MBP and the swap-out was quick and painless. I used CC Cloner to clone my Macintosh HD, then did a disk repair and permissions repair. After that I shut down, swapped drives, booted up and was in business. I had spotlight re-index the drive and ran the daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance scripts and I have to say that the drives performance is great. It is great on battery power, quiet, and runs at a cooler temp. Oh, and did I mention it is a full TB of storage? I have a few VMs of Windows and Linux operating systems that take up lots of space and even still, I have tons of free space.

I highly recommend this drive for anyone needing to expand their internal capacity.
55 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2011
4 Days After Install - 3/1/2011 - Original Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking for a hard drive to replace my 320GB Hitachi internal Macbook Pro hard drive. The hitachi was working fine, I just needed more space.

Pros:
- Lots of space
- Quite (as quite as the stock hard drive apple provided)
- Not much vibration (On a macbook pro 15" the hard drive sits right where your left palm rests. This drive causes the same if not less vibration than the stock hard drive from apple)
- Cheap price tag. I paid $114.79 for this drive on Amazon.

Cons:
- None yet!

It was very easy to install. This drive was thicker than my 320gb hard drive but that was not a problem for my Macbook Pro 15" mid 2009.

I have only had this hard drive installed for 4 days. In 30 days, 90 days, 180 days, and 365 days I will update my review

--------------------------------------------------------------------
30 Days Later - 3/31/2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pros:
- Still works great!
- Its still quite, no noticeable change in noise level.
- It runs pretty cool. Seems to be about the same and maybe even cooler than the stock hard drive.
- Very little vibration. I really am starting to think that it vibrates less. My left wrist seems less agitated than before with the stock hard drive.
- Mac search seems to search all 1tb of data pretty quick, no complaints there. Programs open about the same speed as before. No noticeable difference.

Cons:
- None yet!

Notes:
- Power consumption - Can't really say. Didn't pay much attention, usually have it plugged in somewhere.
- When recording with garage band, there was quite a bit of hum. I wish I would have played around with garage band more before I installed this hard drive. I don't know if this drive is causing the hum. From just listening in my quite room, it sure doesn't sound like any hum at all. Just thought I would mention it. See if anyone else had a noise problem with this drive.

90 Days Later - 5/31/2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros:
- Same as 30 days review above.

Cons:
- None yet!

Notes:
- Temperature - Under normal to heavy use it runs at 99 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Well summer is here and we didn't have the air on. After using my macbook for a few hours the heat and vibration from the drive started to bother me just like the orignal macbook pro hard drive. Thinking about upgrading to a Solid State drive to eliminate the heat and vibration. The heat and vibration didn't seem worst or better then the original macbook hard drive.

180 Days Later - 8/31/2011
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Pros:
- Same as 90 days review above.

Cons:
- None yet!

Nothing new to report.

365 Days Later - 3/1/2012
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything is still working great.
Nothing new to report as far as pros/cons.
When this harddrive goes out I will update this review.
on September 22, 2010
I was really excited about this drive and its price so ordered it. When it came, I discovered that the Amazon listing neglected to mention that it is 3.5 mm thicker than regular 2.5" drives. This is apparently true of all 750GB and 1TB out there currently. Most laptops have only 9-9.5 mm slots (2.5 inches by 9 mm). These high capacity drives require a little more thickness and many laptops cannot accommodate them. Be warned. Another problem is consistency in labelling. We measure the width of the drive in inches (2.5, 3.5, etc), and so the height is often reported in inches. However, due to the difference between metric and English systems, it may not be clear whether the drive is 9 mm or 12.5 mm. It depends how the thickness is rounded off during unit conversion. BE CAREFUL! I did have an enclosure that could accommodate the drive, and so I am using it as an external drive, and it seems to work fine. That just isn't the purpose I bought it for.
1313 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2010
I installed this in my 15-inch unibody MacBook Pro (late 2008), which as others have said fits fine. My previous hard drive was a 7200rpm 500GB drive. Doubling my previous drive with this drive was a great upgrade for capacity, but the speed is noticeably slower to me. Both this drive and the previous drive are encrypted with PGP Whole Disk Encryption, which also plays a small role. (For the PGP-curious, it took over two *days* to encrypt this 1TB drive.)

At 5200rpm, the spindle in this drive is slightly slower than even stock hard drives, which usually clock in at 5400rpm. The speed difference, coming down from a 7200rpm drive, is disappointing. My system will occasionally hang waiting for the drive -- a rare occurrence on the 7200rpm drive.

However, if you're buying this drive, you're buying for capacity, not speed. Just be aware that, as the only 2.5-inch 1TB hard drive on the market (as of October 2010) the ultra-high-density space comes at a price.
on August 15, 2010
Fits current gen (as of Aug 2010) 13" Macbook Pro alum unibody perfect, no modifications needed. After searching the net like crazy to find out if a 12mm 2.5 would fit in a macbook pro, I finally just bought this exact one from amazon and it fits perfect. If you open the bottom of your macbook pro (unibody) you'll see that the height of the frame overlaps the stock 2.5" 9mm hard drive with room to spare. That's when i decided to buy the drive and it fits perfect. performance wise, it runs like a champ and i've never had a problem with Western Digital's reliability.

13" MBP aluminum unibody nvidia 320m model
on June 10, 2011
This review aims at commenting on the Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue internal HD that fits into my MacBook Pro unibody.

Recently I realized that my 500 GB HD was fast running out of space on my MacBook Pro 2.8 (2009 vintage). What to do? What to do? Should I sell my MBP and purchase a new 1 TB one? Well, even though MBPs have high resale value, I knew I stood to lose close to $1000 (not a happy thought). So, I began to investigate the possibility of purchasing a 1TB drive to install. When I found the Western Digital 1 TB Scorpio Blue at only $109.99, I could not believe my eyes. But sure enough, there it was bold as brass! So, I played the smart shopper and read the reviews on Amazon. I have found Amazon reviewers to be honest and candid. This time was no different. After reading mostly positive reviews, I concluded that this was the drive for me.

Then I thought, "If only I could change this puppy out myself and save the cost of labor. " Now, I might add that I am almost sixty-four years of age and not mechanically inclined. (I can take a screwdriver and ruin a screw trying to take it out with the best of them!). In years past I would likely have called a buddy with more expertise than I to guide me through the process. But with the click of a mouse button, I found many buddies on YouTube who had done this very thing! My heart began to race: maybe I, too, could change out my HD, saving the labor expense and having the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself. The more YouTubers I watched, the more convinced I was that I could succeed.

I soon found that changing the drive out was not the only component to this process. I first had to prepare the new HD so that it would boot on start up. Never having done that before, I was more than a little challenged. Soon I found two highly touted programs that promised to clone my existing 500 GB HD, so that the new 1 TB one would boot up just fine. They are SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner. SuperDuper! has a free version and Carbon Copy Cloner is totally free. I downloaded both and ended up going with Carbon Copy Cloner (both are well demonstrated on YouTube). Since my 500 GB HD was almost full, the cloning took around five hours (not sure exactly because I went to bed). When I awakened this AM, the cloning was done and CCC said the cloned 1 TB would boot up. I tried it and it did, pretty as you please.

At this point the question was how I would get the new 1 TB WD Scorpio Blue into my MBP. Again, YouTube came to the rescue. But I also received a lot of help from Other Word Computing, which I discovered in my research. I love talking to a live and knowledgeable person, so I rang their 800 number and a tekkie assured me that the WD 1 TB Scorpio Blue was a great choice. He also recommended that I get their Do-It-Yourself (DIY) kit that would have the necessary tools plus a case to put the old HD in so that it could function as a USB external HD. I followed his advice (paying through Amazon) and in a few days everything I needed to install my new drive arrived.
This morning I woke up excited that I might just be able to pull this off and install my very own HD. Remembering what I'd seen multiple times on You Tube, I took off the back cover (with much fear and trepidation), making sure I remembered which screws went where because three are longer than the others. Well, everything went swimmingly; I am now typing this review on my new HD equipped MBP.

Two last comments: some are concerned that the WD 1 TB Scorpio Blue performs slower, since it runs at only 5200 RPM. My old Hitachi drive is a 5400 RPM and, while I did not run any performance tests, the newer Western Digital seems some faster! Maybe that is because it is not a full capacity yet, but at this point it does run faster (yes, I tested it before doubling the RAM).
The other comment is that some are also concerned that the Western Digital is larger and will not fit into the MBP. In my 2009 model it fits snugly, but perfectly.

Two suggestions: First, if you are not mechanically inclined, you can do this; but research it on the front end. Don't wait until half way through the process to gain advice from others. Second, while you're at it upgrade your RAM. It's very cheap these days. I upgraded to 8 GB RAM for a little less than $100.
on March 12, 2011
Just like other reviewers have written, this nice 1tb drive will fit in the 13 inch MacBook Pro. Very easy to install - took less than 10 minutes. I upgraded the RAM to 8gb from 2 at the same time, and my nearly 2 year old machine just flies now. I backed-up my original drive using Time Machine, booted from the Snow Leopard install DVD then restored the data from the original drive to the new drive. It took about 2 hours to transfer, but started up like a charm...exactly where I had left off when I last backed up. I finally can put all of my music in one place and have massive amounts of room for more. 1000 GB on a laptop - a dream come true!
on March 27, 2011
Lots of people have posted complaints about performance issues with this drive, particularly with 2009 and 2010 model 15" Macbook Pros. After hours of fiddling, I found the culprit. It is a fixable issue.

Apple introduced a firmware glitch with EFI 1.7 (EFI is the Mac equivalent of a BIOS on Windows machines). As of EFI 1.8, this has not been fixed. Consequently, some 1 TB drives and other Scorpio Blue drives will lag for seconds or even minutes on EFI version 1.7 or 1.8 on the 15" Macbook Pro (I couldn't find any reports on 13" or 17"). I downgraded my EFI to 1.6 and that did the trick immediately.

I can't post links here because Amazon filters them. But if you Google for "EFI 1.6 downgrade", you'll be able to find the disc image and instructions to do it. Note that if you do this, you will be limited to a 1.5GB/s SATA bus speed instead of 3.0 GB/sec, and you'll need to monitor your software updates to be sure you don't accidentally re-upgrade to version 1.7 or 1.8.

Performance has been great since this fix.