- Get free shipping on this item when you purchase 1 or more Qualifying items offered by DatabugLLC. Here's how (restrictions apply)
2 Year Data Recovery Planfrom FA Service Plans
- If your drive stops working, the Rescue data recovery plan will recover the data from the failed drive If your drive stops working, the Rescue data recovery plan will recover the data from the failed drive and return it to you on a new piece of external storage
- Covers new single-disk bare (internal) drives of any brand when purchased within 30 days (receipt must be retained for purchases not on the same transaction). Not eligible on enterprise class or multi-drive devices
- Free shipping for in-lab data recovery; 24/7 online case status tracking
- If your data isn't recovered, you get your money back
- If you purchase this service plan and eligible product for this service plan, you acknowledge that Amazon may send the service plan seller relevant product and price information for the purpose of administering the plan
Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD6402AAEX
|Price:||$95.00 & FREE Shipping|
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- WD Caviar Black high performance 3.5- Inch SATA hard drive combines 7200 RPM, 64 MB cache, and SATA 6 Gb/s interface for the ultimate in power computing
- High performance electronics architecture features dual processors and bigger, faster caches for maximum read and write speeds.
- StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations.
- 640 GB capacity holds up to 128,000 digital photos, 160,000 MP3 files, and up to 77 hours of HD video.
- 5 year limited warranty
- WD Caviar Black high performance 3.5-inch SATA hard drives combine 7200 RPM spin speed, 64 MB cache
- StableTrac ? The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration
- The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
- Brand Name: Western Digital
- Model Number: WD6402AAEX
- Manufacturer Warranty Description: 5 year limited warranty
- Hard Disk Description: desktop
- Form Factor: desktop
From the Manufacturer
WD Caviar Black Hard Drives – Maximum performance for power computing.
WD Caviar Black high performance 3.5-inch SATA hard drives combine 7200 RPM spin speed, an integrated dual processor, and dual actuator technology for lightning-fast performance in demanding desktop, workstation, and multi-drive systems. And 640 GB capacity gives you the space you need to hold plenty of photos, videos, and files. Best of all these drives are backed by a 5-year limited warranty.
Why you should choose WD Caviar Black:
WD Caviar Black delivers industry-leading performance that's perfect for hard-core gaming and intensive photo and video editing.
Sophisticated performance enhancing features deliver the speed you need to work faster, not longer.
High performance, high reliability, cutting edge technology and a 5-year limited warranty make up WD Caviar Black, the ideal drive for those who demand only the best.
This 7200 RPM speedster is at the top of its class when it comes to performance and reliability.
- Power computing applications such as intensive photo or video editing
- Maxed out gaming systems
- Adding lots of storage in desktop PCs
- Adding extra storage space for photos, videos and music
SATA 6 Gb/s interface - Twice the interface speed with backwards compatibility to legacy SATA standards.
Dual processor - Twice the processing power to maximize performance.
Dynamic Cache - WD's dynamic caching algorithm improves performance in real time by optimizing cache allocation between reads and writes. For example, if there's an overwhelming percentage of read traffic as opposed to write traffic, the drive automatically allocates more cache for read data, which reduces congestion and improves overall drive performance.
NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
Desktop / Consumer RAID environments - WD Caviar Black Hard Drives are tested and recommended for use in consumer-type RAID applications. (RAID-0 / RAID-1)*
*Business Critical RAID Environments – WD Caviar Blue Hard Drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. For all Business Critical RAID applications, please consider WD's Enterprise Hard Drives that are specifically designed with RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER), are tested extensively in 24x7 RAID applications, and include features like enhanced RAFF technology and thermal extended burn-in testing.
Upgrading your drive is easy - WD Acronis TrueImage, available as a free download on the WD Support site, enables you to copy all your data to a new drive so you don't have to reinstall your operating system to get all the benefits of a new drive. Note: Bare drive does not include any cables or mounting hardware.
The WD advantage - WD puts our products through extensive Functional Integrity Testing (F.I.T.) prior to any product launch. On average, each new product goes through 600,000 hours of testing. WD also has a detailed Knowledge Base with more than 1,000 helpful articles. You can also call toll-free support 7 days per week in the U.S. and Canada. See the WD Support site for full details.
WD-certified packaging - All WD drives purchased from Amazon.com are shipped in WD-certified hard drive packaging. It is designed and fully tested to provide WD products with the highest of safety while in transit. With WD-certified packaging, you can rest assured that your WD hard drive will arrive safely, fully protected, in a non-descript, easy-open package.
Works with Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000, Mac and Linux operating systems.
You might also consider:
Size: 640 GB
Top Customer Reviews
Functionality-wise, this new drive works fine. The RAID volume is running and fast. Like with most hard drives, you want it to "just work" and it does. Not much to say here.
However, this drive is easily 3 times louder than its older WD counterpart! I haven't heard a drive with head seeks this noisy in a long time. It's not something I cannot ignore, and it's not the kind of sound you hear when a drive is failing, but take the "clicking" you heard on most drives when they're active and imagine them 3x louder. That's this drive.
I'm actually going to see if WD has a utility to control the acoustic mode of the drive. I've worked hard to build a quiet machine (with Noctua fans/etc.) but adding this drive has just set me back in that goal. It's livable, but definitely not ideal.
I would like to point out that although I'm against oversized shipping boxes for no reason, I'm also against packing two heavy hard disks like the ones I received in a very small box without the proper space for the correct type of bubble wrap. It was the poorest packing I ever received and am afraid that all the bouncing during transit will catch up with me in the form of a premature failure of the units, once they go into service as originally intended.
I hope AMAZON will take action in this matter, since it seems to be a recurrent situation.
I rated the units at 4 stars because they are not guilty of the poor packaging.
Someone else deserves between zero and minus one star for the lack of common sense when preparing the units for shipment.
I wanted to update my review. Today the hard drive crashed and was rendered unbootable. I was able to still retrieve data off it after docking it to a hard drive dock. I went back to my backup imaged WD Green 750GB hard drive for now and ordered the Green 1TB drive. I've had bad luck with the Blue and now the Black models crashing, never had issues with the Green so will return this back to Amazon and get that.
-I wanted to add the fact that there is no issues with Amazon's packaging...it is shipped in a small box via USPS and arrived in perfect condition.
My 750GB Western Digital Green hard drive was getting a bit old, so I bought a 750GB WD Black drive...hoping to get a speed boost from the 7200 RPM and extra cache. As far as I can see, I don't feel a speed increase. But nonetheless it's not any slower than the Green, and the noise level although loud is not a big deal because I have a noisier fan in my computer.
I think all Western Digital hard drives are reliable and fast (Blue, Green or Black) and you won't go wrong getting one. And if you do end up with a bummer, then their warranty service is excellent...and for the black you get 5 years (which by then the industry would have switched the SSD drives).
The True Image software that Western Digital provides for download on their website is a great piece of software which I use to image drives (ala Norton Ghost) for use as backup...if the hard drive ever crashes I just swap the back up in and I'm up and running.
Pros: Legendary Western Digital reliability, decent speed, availability of Imaging software from website, long warranty
Cons: a bit noisy, gets hot (if you want a hard drive that runs cool and quiet...but a little slower go with the Green series
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Can't go wrong with these. 'cept now I only buy the 4TB versions.(Mostly
Western Digital 1.5 TB WD Black SATA III 7200... Read more
A good drive for regular computer use. For backups or a file server (such as in a NAS) find the red series of drives instead.Published 1 month ago by Paul Beyard
Be careful when disconnecting the cables. BOTH of the "L"-shaped plastic parts of the SATA data and power connections broke off ( MUCH too easily). Read morePublished 3 months ago by H. Gruenberg
Lost a disk in a mis-matched RAID pair (i know, i know) so bought this to match the remaining disk. Very happy with WD Black for price/performance.Published 5 months ago by Brett
This drive is still going strong after all these years without a hiccup in performance. WD has always been a top performer with me when it comes to these types of drives. Read morePublished 8 months ago by Tnadz
Mine worked great for 2 years. 1st time I ever had a Western Digital die on me.Published 10 months ago by G. Johnson