5.0 out of 5 stars big and fast as well
Bought this for an 8 core Mac Pro, primarily for temporary storage and backup of video that had come off of P2 cards.
I was surprised at the performance of this drive, since it's a green drive, but the benchmark numbers I got back in AJA System test were nearly the same as my other 32mb Caviar Black 1tb drives!
It was something like 97MB/s read and 95MB/s write...
Published on June 23, 2009 by Jack M. Hoffman

1.0 out of 5 stars No warranty support
Purchased two drives and they both failed within 90 days (in two different computers). The good news is that the smart drive feature warned of the failure. Got an RMA and returned to WD for replacement...replacement was authorized.... and a month later WD continues to report that the drives are "out of stock". They have plenty to sell to Amazon, but none for warranty...
Published on October 13, 2009 by Imajica

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Was still running, the drive failed the S.M.A.R.T. status after 6 months;, March 30, 2010
This review is from: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB 32MB Cache 7200RPM SATA/300 Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
The drive was good until after 6 months when I was checking the drive using Disk Utilities using my Mac. It was failing the S.M.A.R.T. status. This could lead to a crash of the drive. Good thing it was still running and am able to backup all my files. The drive has a 3 year warranty fortunately.

WD replaced the drive of the same type by mail thru their replacement program. It looks like the warranty only lasts 1 year since the manufacture date, and I only got 6 months to go. I'll recheck with WD. I think they should match the warranty time of my original drive which was 3 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely high rate of failure, March 3, 2010
Fred Strauss (Outer Mongolia) - See all my reviews
I have a total of seven of these drives. Two have failed within the first month of use, after I spent days migrating all of my data over to these new high-capacity drives. Both were connected externally via eSATA (externally rather than internally), but this may not necessarily be relevant because a cursory Google search on this issue led me to complaints by numerous other users who also have experienced failures with these drives. It seems that the "Green" feature involves more complicated mechanics and electronics in these units, which are a weak link and make the drives more susceptible to failure.

I bought these because I have always understood Western Digital to be a top name in hard drives. I was also aware of the scandal with many of Seagate's high-capacity drives failing last year.

So it seems that the top two names (in my opinion) of hard drive manufacturing have been having serious reliability issues with their high capacity drives. This is totally unacceptable and I have been losing (and continue to lose) countless hours of time having to research and buy NEW replacement drives, perform data migrations (which take around 24 hours each with these capacities), erasing old drives and dealing with returns to vendors like Amazon, etc. Thankfully Amazon and one other top vendor I use have issued me RMA's and free UPS return labels with ZERO hassle.

I just purchased five of the new Hitachi 7200RPM internal 2TB drives and am again migrating all my data from the WD's to the Hitachis. I am not sure if the Hitachi's will prove any more reliable, but so far I have not seen any REPORTS of massive failures on these, so they seem like the best choice (gamble?) for me at the moment. The Hitachi drives are much louder (you can hear the really annoying "crunching" sound when the drives are writing data) but I'm at the end of my rope and will suffer through this in order to at least have a 2TB drive that I'm not terrified might CRASH at any moment causing me to lose a lifetime of accumulated data. They're currently a bit cheaper, too.

So zero stars for Western Digital "Green" drives, but five stars for Amazon.com customer service.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's packaging for Hard Drives is the worst!!!!, December 23, 2009
Great drives... if they work. I just recieved them and haven't even tried them yet, but I'm so angry about the way they were packaged I just had to say something while I'm still willing to bother to post this review. I will update it they work or if they need to go back.

Just save yourself the headache if you need drives and get them from [...]

Each drive was in a loose single wrap of bubble wrap and a single air cushion. Neither was enough to keep them from flopping around loosely within the smaller box. Then each of those boxes were loosely packaged within a larger box with a couple of air cushions... two of which were popped by the time they made it me. Anyway, they were free to flop around in their own boxes and those boxes were free to flop around inside a larger shipping box.

Great drives... just don't get them from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge, Quiet & Fast, April 19, 2009
John Galt (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This is a very fine disk drive from the highest quality drive maker. I bought 2 to hold my ever-growing load of photos and videos which had filled up a pair of 500 GB drives. The WD20EADS has huge capacity, it's quiet, it runs cool (so it should last longer) and most surprising, it's faster than my 500 GB drive. With the new drive, the time it takes to convert RAW photos to JPG format dropped by 12%. This is probably due to the large 32MB cache.

Some things to watch out for:

The great price on Amazon is partly because the drive is in OEM packaging, which means all you get is the drive - no cables, no instructions, no installation CD. Many vendors sell drives this way, this isn't anything unusual. If you have installed OEM drives before, then you know the routine and it's not a problem. If you need the instructions or installation software, you can download it from the Western Digital support site.

If you are wanting to install this drive in an older motherboard - beware! It didn't work in my Gigabyte GA-7NNXP running F15 BIOS (latest) and Silicon Image firmware 4.2.00 (which is only 84 revs out of date and not upgradable). The BIOS hung during initialization of the Silicon Image SATA controller and there doesn't seem to be any workaround or update possible. On the other hand, it worked fine in my wife's Elite Group KT-600A motherboard, which is slightly older and less sophisticated than the Gigabyte board. The Gigabyte board was running 500 GB drives on the SATA ports without a problem, and there are no general size limitations between 500 GB and 2 TB. It appears that the BIOS is just buggy. The Western Digital support site has a list of tested compatible SATA controllers, so if your board is on that list you should be good to go. If your board isn't on the list, you might want to search the net for information on your particular board before you buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars great drive, May 1, 2010
The drive is great and worked as expected. My issue was that I did not understand that OEM meant no screws other mounting equipment. With the money I've spent on connectors, screws, and shipping, I would have gone with a more expensive drive that came with all the materials I needed to install it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead after one month of use, January 20, 2010
P. HUYNH (Eden Prairie, MN United States) - See all my reviews
As the title of my review said, this drive stopped working after a month of use. I lost all data, 600GB of them (all my pics, movie....).This is the first problem I've experienced with WD drive. I have been waiting for three weeks already for my replacement drive from WD and the status is still DELAYED. I don't know why this is taking so long for WD to ship one out. If you decide to buy this drive, make sure you have a second backup of your data. This drive seems to be quite unreliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine - But I have to agree about the "light" packaging, October 3, 2009
Yup it's an OEM drive and it ships in a cardboard box as a bare drive held in a folded corrugated carrier. It worked fine, but the box was not even sealed. Used this in a HP EX485 Media Smart server. No issues with noise

5.0 out of 5 stars A ton of storage and pretty fast too!, October 2, 2009
Nice drive. I needed it for simple, long-term bulk storage, but it's surprisingly fast and very, very quiet!

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable short warranty, January 3, 2013
I had two of this in my Synology NAS. The first drive started having error after 6 months and it was replaced by warranty, then the 2nd one died just 2 months after the warranty expired. I only use WD HDD and I only had bad experience with the so call “Green Drive”. I bought another newer version of the WD green for a single drive NAS and it also failed after a year and was replaced by warranty, very unreliable and it’s totally not worth trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars 2TB!, May 17, 2010
Drive works like a charm, I won't need another one for 5 years I'll bet! I didn't have any trouble installing, BIOS found it, Vista liked it too. I don't notice any additional noise from my case, and it's a fairly low noise system. Not much else to say, it's a HDD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›