5.0 out of 5 stars big and fast as well
Bought this for an 8 core Mac Pro, primarily for temporary storage and backup of video that had come off of P2 cards.
I was surprised at the performance of this drive, since it's a green drive, but the benchmark numbers I got back in AJA System test were nearly the same as my other 32mb Caviar Black 1tb drives!
It was something like 97MB/s read and 95MB/s write...
Published on June 23, 2009 by Jack M. Hoffman

1.0 out of 5 stars No warranty support
Purchased two drives and they both failed within 90 days (in two different computers). The good news is that the smart drive feature warned of the failure. Got an RMA and returned to WD for replacement...replacement was authorized.... and a month later WD continues to report that the drives are "out of stock". They have plenty to sell to Amazon, but none for warranty...
Published on October 13, 2009 by Imajica

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge, Quiet & Fast, April 19, 2009
John Galt (Portland, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EADS 2TB 32MB Cache 7200RPM SATA/300 Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
This is a very fine disk drive from the highest quality drive maker. I bought 2 to hold my ever-growing load of photos and videos which had filled up a pair of 500 GB drives. The WD20EADS has huge capacity, it's quiet, it runs cool (so it should last longer) and most surprising, it's faster than my 500 GB drive. With the new drive, the time it takes to convert RAW photos to JPG format dropped by 12%. This is probably due to the large 32MB cache.

Some things to watch out for:

The great price on Amazon is partly because the drive is in OEM packaging, which means all you get is the drive - no cables, no instructions, no installation CD. Many vendors sell drives this way, this isn't anything unusual. If you have installed OEM drives before, then you know the routine and it's not a problem. If you need the instructions or installation software, you can download it from the Western Digital support site.

If you are wanting to install this drive in an older motherboard - beware! It didn't work in my Gigabyte GA-7NNXP running F15 BIOS (latest) and Silicon Image firmware 4.2.00 (which is only 84 revs out of date and not upgradable). The BIOS hung during initialization of the Silicon Image SATA controller and there doesn't seem to be any workaround or update possible. On the other hand, it worked fine in my wife's Elite Group KT-600A motherboard, which is slightly older and less sophisticated than the Gigabyte board. The Gigabyte board was running 500 GB drives on the SATA ports without a problem, and there are no general size limitations between 500 GB and 2 TB. It appears that the BIOS is just buggy. The Western Digital support site has a list of tested compatible SATA controllers, so if your board is on that list you should be good to go. If your board isn't on the list, you might want to search the net for information on your particular board before you buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazon's packaging for Hard Drives is the worst!!!!, December 23, 2009
Great drives... if they work. I just recieved them and haven't even tried them yet, but I'm so angry about the way they were packaged I just had to say something while I'm still willing to bother to post this review. I will update it they work or if they need to go back.

Just save yourself the headache if you need drives and get them from [...]

Each drive was in a loose single wrap of bubble wrap and a single air cushion. Neither was enough to keep them from flopping around loosely within the smaller box. Then each of those boxes were loosely packaged within a larger box with a couple of air cushions... two of which were popped by the time they made it me. Anyway, they were free to flop around in their own boxes and those boxes were free to flop around inside a larger shipping box.

Great drives... just don't get them from Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars 2 failed drives out of 7, November 8, 2009
3 boys mama (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
Not a great ratio.

We bought 3 of these WD 2 TB drives, 1 crashed same day it arrived. Bought 3 more and 1 failed to initialize.

If you are using these I would advise either buying extra or going with another brand as they seem fairly unreliable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Was still running, the drive failed the S.M.A.R.T. status after 6 months;, March 30, 2010
The drive was good until after 6 months when I was checking the drive using Disk Utilities using my Mac. It was failing the S.M.A.R.T. status. This could lead to a crash of the drive. Good thing it was still running and am able to backup all my files. The drive has a 3 year warranty fortunately.

WD replaced the drive of the same type by mail thru their replacement program. It looks like the warranty only lasts 1 year since the manufacture date, and I only got 6 months to go. I'll recheck with WD. I think they should match the warranty time of my original drive which was 3 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dead after one month of use, January 20, 2010
P. HUYNH (Eden Prairie, MN United States) - See all my reviews
As the title of my review said, this drive stopped working after a month of use. I lost all data, 600GB of them (all my pics, movie....).This is the first problem I've experienced with WD drive. I have been waiting for three weeks already for my replacement drive from WD and the status is still DELAYED. I don't know why this is taking so long for WD to ship one out. If you decide to buy this drive, make sure you have a second backup of your data. This drive seems to be quite unreliable.

4.0 out of 5 stars great drive, May 1, 2010
The drive is great and worked as expected. My issue was that I did not understand that OEM meant no screws other mounting equipment. With the money I've spent on connectors, screws, and shipping, I would have gone with a more expensive drive that came with all the materials I needed to install it.

1.0 out of 5 stars UPDATE---DO NOT ORDER WHITE LABEL DRIVE(S)!!!, April 21, 2010
This is an update to the review below. After my review below, the company worked VERY hard to make me happy by not only sending me a new drive, but also upgrading the drive from the WD Green Label equivalent to the WD Black Label equivalent (WD2001FASS). So, I have to give them kudos for customer service. However, I ordered the drive in April of 2010 and it has now failed in February of 2011. Hopefully they will be as helpful in RMAing the drive a second time, too bad I lost a lot of data. Luckily it's all replaceable. Oh, and my two WD2001FASS's continue to run great, without any issues...

So, I received my drive today and it is called "White Label". It looks like the exact same drive with the WD sticker replaced by another brand (MediaMax) sticker. Odds are, the drive was purchased in bulk, as overstock, and/or for a pre-built system. It may not have been meant for individual sale. I am a little more than miffed by this, because I purchased a Western Digital drive. Is the drive the same? Maybe. Are the specs the same? Yes. Is the warranty the same? NOPE!!! The advertised warranty is 3 years. The warranty listed on the packing slip is 1 year. Not only that, but the packaging was a joke. I've been building and repairing PC's professionally for 15 years and have NEVER seen a brand new HDD (or even a used one) packed so poorly. I think that I am lucky though, because mine was packed better than what I've read in other reviews. I'm hoping this drive works well, but we'll see...I'll post more after I've had it for awhile.

The drive failed and I had to RMA. They shipped me the next model up, though, in an effort to keep me happy. I have to say, great customer service, but time will tell on the drive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine - But I have to agree about the "light" packaging, October 3, 2009
Yup it's an OEM drive and it ships in a cardboard box as a bare drive held in a folded corrugated carrier. It worked fine, but the box was not even sealed. Used this in a HP EX485 Media Smart server. No issues with noise

1.0 out of 5 stars Took a chance and lost--twice, January 6, 2010
William B. Mccarty Jr. (Orange County, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
UPDATE: The replacement drive looked good initially but failed within 24 hours. It passed WD's extended test but failed the quick test, apparently due to bad sectors. Amazon refunded my payment, though I would have tried a third drive if given the option. So, I went to a local computer store and paid $30 more for same drive (with documentation and mounting screws). The new drive is performing perfectly.

Given that experience, the problem seems to be damage in transit, even though packing materials show no stress or damage. The first drive was packed in a box inside a larger box, protected by a modest amount of air pillow. The second drive was packed in a single box with air pillow and didn't seem to me to be appropriately protected, even though an affixed sticker claimed it was ready for shipment as-is. My guess is that, in both cases, the drive was able to shift during shipment and make hard contact with a box edge, causing internal damage.

Conclusion: Don't buy this drive from Amazon, despite their excellent service, unless it's clear that the drive is being packed better than it has been. How you would determine this, I don't know. :(

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Drive was not elaborately packaged but was not visibly stressed or damaged. No instructions or documentation included but these were readily available on the web.

After initial configuration, drive disappeared from Explorer and Disk Manager. Rebooted the system (Windows XP) and all seemed well. About 10 hours later, drive disappeared again. System would not fully boot with drive in place.

Checked and swapped SATA cables, checked BIOS settings, and checked jumpers. Experimented a bit with other plausible configurations. No go.

Replaced drive with old drive and reset BIOS configuration. System operates fine.

Conclusion: bad drive, probably due to manufacturing flaw rather than damage during shipment.

I really want to like the drive, so I've opted for an exchange. Will revise review if replacement unit works as it should.

5.0 out of 5 stars The packaging is perfect!, March 16, 2010
I didn't purchase this drive for a number of weeks largely because of all the negative packaging & DOA feedback. I can say that I am perfectly happy with my purchase in the end and everything was perfect.

A LOT of reviewers have bashed this product based upon improper packaging. I can assure you that I just received mine today (3/16/2010) and it was packaged with the exact same "wings" the a retail drive comes in. It was also in a box that fit perfectly and had virtually no excess movement. My guess would be Amazon has seen the many complaints about improper packaging of OEM hard drives and have taken steps to correct this. This is just a guess, but I believe fairly sound as mine arrived in perfect shape.

This drive isn't the speediest but it is fairly priced and has a large amount of capacity. I am currently using a few of these in a Virtual Machine NAS box inside VMWare ESXi4. They provide low power consumption, and decent enough performance for a home server streaming media to a few systems (Windows, Mac, iPhone, & a couple PS3's.) The heat isn't too bad but I would recommend picking up a cooler or backplane (especially if using multiple drives) for added longevity.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›