Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Western Digital My Book for Mac 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive
Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 10, 2010
I was originally planning on buying an Apple Time Capsule hard drive since we have 3 macs and I try to buy only Apple-branded accessories as they work well together. But after researching it, a lot of people don't like the Time Capsule because it dies almost always around 18 months. (right after the warranty expires) So I searched for an alternative and found the Western Digital My Book for Mac which I ended up buying. The hard drive is small, quiet, and didn't feel cheap. As soon as I plugged it into my Mac, a pop-up window appears asking if I would like to use it as an Apple TIme Machine. I clicked okay and it backed up everything on my computer to the My Book. The first back up takes several hours, but after that, backing up is very fast via USB 2.0 and with 1 TB of space, I don't have to worry about filling up with space soon. I mainly use this to back up my machine, but also use it to temporarily store large files to transfer from one mac to the next. Western Digital is known for reliable hard drives so in retrospect, this is probably a smarter purchase than buying a Time Capsule which was much more expensive.

It comes bundled with it's own software, but I do not use it. Time Machine works well with this hard drive so I don't need any other type of software. Some people complained about not being able to delete the software, but its not a big deal. Whenever you plug in the hard drive, the software icon appears on your desktop, but you can unmount it or just ignore it. Doesn't really take up much space on the hard drive.
1010 comments|270 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2010
Picked up one of the Western Digital 1TB backup drives after we suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure last month. Should have bought it online and saved some cash but we wanted to get it right there in the Apple store as they were installing our new hard drive, so we plunked down $129.99 retail for it.

We've had it up an running for almost a full month now and haven't had any issues with the device at all. It's as plug-n-play as you can get. The drive has already been formatted and indexed to work with the Mac. You can use WD's bundled software or choose the Time Machine option right at the start. I'd recommend the Time Machine choice. From that point you just let the drive do it's job. Files are backed up any time you modify a file for any reason.

It's unobtrusive and intuitive to use. Connects via USB cable. Not pretty or flashy in appearance, but who cares? Runs quiet and the case stays cool. This is a way cheaper backup option than Apple's pricey Time Machine drives. The 1TB of space is perfectly sufficient for our needs, but this also comes in a 2TB model for those who want or need the additional storage capacity.

Highly recommended.
on June 28, 2010
I have two other WD (500GB) drives for my Imac that I use for external storage, but I kept having problems running my Time Machine backups.(not enough space on External to backup). I ordered my 2TB WD from Amazon and hoped for the best. Well I received it and opened the box and plugged it in. I went to my System Preferences and clicked on Time Machine chose my new HD and set it for my backup. That was it, of course it is going to take a bit of time for the initial backup, but that was it. No problems and it runs like a champ. I have already reccomended it to my niece for her mac.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 11, 2011
I am a photographer and I purchased this device as a way to back up my work. The product was very easy to install and worked like a charm for 5 months. Then it stopped working. I tried to repair it, tried to recover data, no such luck. 5 months of work down the drain. Called WD customer support and held on the line forever and no one answered. They offer no data recover service even if your product in under warranty. I will never ever buy another WD product. Absolutely horrible product and customer service.
55 comments|41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We appreciate your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the My Book for Mac, as this is not the typical experience with the product. Although Western Digital does not provide data recovery services, we have a list of recommended preferred data recovery partners that you can use for data recovery services. Please see the link below for more information.
We would appreciate the opportunity to further assist you, and resolve any further concerns you may have with the device and/or your experience. You may contact us at 1 (800) 275-4932, or via our support website at: http://support.wdc.com/rs/. Please indicate within the online case creation or with the first support agent you speak with, that you are responding to an Amazon review, so we route you and your information to the correct team members.
on April 1, 2010
Purchased over 3 months ago and working perfectly! I think "plug-and-play" is an understatement. Plugged it it, told Time Machine to use it. Done.

I also periodically plug it into my wife's MacBook to back it up as well. I suppose it's a feature of Time Machine (and not the drive itself) but it easily manages backing up two different computers on the drive.

I know others have commented on the included software. To be honest, I've been ignoring it. Why add the complication when Time Machine does everything so well? Yes, the extra Virtual CD icon on the desktop is tad annoying. So, after months of debating whether or not to use it...I decided I wasn't going to use the included software. After a quick trip to the WD site to download a firmware update and Virtual CD manager, I was able to turn off the Virtual CD so it doesn't mount every time I turn on my computer. (Nicely enough, it simply toggles the Virtual CD on/off so I can change my mind down the road if I so choose.)

Unfortunately, the "illuminated capacity gauge" only works with the SmartWare software. Still, I bought it for it's capacity, price, and ease of use...not the gauge!

Nice, quiet, effortless. What more could you ask for?
on November 27, 2009
This is supposed to be a Mac Edition external HDD and it still doesn't have a FireWire connection. I don't see how this is a "Mac Edition" with no FireWire options.
Other than that, the features in the drive are good. With Time Machine you won't need WD's extra software. As soon as you plug it in you'll be asked how you want to use it.
Choose Time Machine and it'll do the rest.
44 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2009
Just a quick chat about my initial impression of the WD My Book for Mac 1TB USB2 edition, but first, a word on my current environment. I have an early 2009 iMac with 4GB RAM running Mac OS X 10.6.x and plan on using this drive exclusively for TimeMachine backups.

My first impression was actually pretty negative in that I was surprised at how low-rent the case is for the My Book. Compared to the aluminum skinned previous WD external USB/FW400 drive I have, this My Book represents the worst in Chinese manufacturing. Also contributing to my woes, is the included wall-wort being the typical "too big to fit any normal powerstrip" size. Again, all my previous external drives had external powerbricks with regular wall plugs making extremely convenient to plug into a powerstrip or UPS.

With the overall aesthetics out of the way, I was happy to see a USB2 cable included for the single USB ported device and it seems to live up to the USB bandwidth rating one would expect. Yes, it would be nice if Apple had some type of eSATA connection for the iMacs and one must give up the first born child to afford a FW800 enclosure right now (about 40% more as I write this). But with all that being said, USB2 does fine for archival purposes and should be thought of as such.

A note regarding the sound, this is not an especially loud drive but its far from silent. Somebody made a comment about it sounding like mice trying to gnaw their way out of the crappy case their stuck in and I would agree with that. But again, its not all that bad and especially for TimeMachine purposes.

Finally, I am convinced that one could skip installing the WDsmartware software that comes with the drive. Outside of the encryption part, there doesn't seem to be anything here better than what TimeMachine delivers in OS X 10.5 or 10.6 and I have chosen to uninstall the software (of course it now want to fill my logs with launchd warnings but I'll take care of that soon enough). I think the only reason one would want this bloat is if they want to mirror files on the local drive with this external drive because one may carry this drive from machine X to machine Y and have the files 'restored' to a similar directory on machine Y? I don't know but that's my only guess.
on January 30, 2010
I have been using Western Digital hard drives since the biggest model they carried was 1.2GB... 15-odd years. I have never been so frustrated with them than when I plugged in my new My Book "For Mac" and a virtual CD automatically mounted itself on the computer, insisting I install WS Smartware. Without it, I would not be able to use the drive as a Time Machine Backup as intended. With it, I would not be able to disable a piece of software I did not want to use.

THERE IS A SOLUTION. Go here:
[...]
and follow the instructions for downloading TWO new pieces of software what will give you the ability to disable the virtual CD.

SHAME on Western Digital for including NON-OPTIONAL software with it's drive. I am seriously considering switching to another company (I use LaCie drives at work with no problems), and here is why:

One of the things Mac users take extreme pride in is the simplicity of both the hardware and software...the simplicity of use...the way you plug in something and it just works, and everything doesn't need you to install drivers and perform 19 steps to get it going. WD should be embarrassed they put "for Mac" on their box. There is nothing "for Mac" about it. My LaCie didn't say "for Mac" and worked just fine by just plugging it in. This MyBook is just a lie, and an un-simple piece of hardware. I feel duped.
on September 17, 2010
This was such an incredibly easy setup for the Mac, it's very easy to describe.
1. Connect to power source.
2. Connect to computer.
3. Time Machine will auto-start, select to turn ON Time Machine.
4. Initial back-up runs.
5. Done.

Seriously, it was a breeze. I have over 100 GBs of photos alone. This HD not only acts as my Time Machine, it now acts as my backup drive for Lightroom imports. 2TB is more than enough to last for the foreseeable future.

Mac owners looking for an easy solution to file backup, this is your solution.
on February 8, 2011
The USB and power ports on the back of the machine were partially covered by the plastic casing so I was unable to plug anything in. Normally I would ask for a replacement however the item seemed cheap and poorly made so I am going to look for higher quality equipment. Luckily Amazon has always made returns and refunds very easy!

UPDATE 2.23- I decided to give this one more try and THE SAME THING HAPPENED AGAIN! The case isn't properly aligned and I wasn't able to plug the cables in! So disheartening to have to deal with returning this product again! Western Digital is not giving anyone a chance to like their product because they cannot be used out of the box! GRRRR!!!!