5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, Small & Sleek
I'm a digital artist responsible for photography, high definition motion graphics and overall general graphic design, print and web. I got my passport for Christmas this year and I couldn't be happier.

Firstly, My main machine is a MacBook Pro laptop. My work computer is a Mac Pro and 99% of the computers I work on in my industry are Macs. So this review is...
Published on December 25, 2008 by Travis B. Stevens

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice drive, but Firewire has died
I was very happy with this drive, until after less than three months of light use, the Firewire port died. I tried both the 800/400 and 800/800 cables, on two different Macs, and neither machine mounts the drive. (Disk Utility doesn't see it, either.) When I plug in the drive with either cable, one light is illuminated, the platter spins briefly and then stops, and the...
Published on April 23, 2009 by Michael Macrone

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect HD., March 5, 2009
This review is from: Western Digital My Passport Studio 500 GB FireWire 800/400 USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive (Silver) (Personal Computers)
I along with three other classmates have this hard drive. The size can't be beat, especially because I have to tote it around all the time. I will never settle for anything less than this petite firewire piece of perfection! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast transfers if it doesn't crash, September 26, 2009
So I did a lot of research on portable hard drives before buying this one. My requirements were small physical size, decent looking, over 250 GB of storage and FireWire. This one met all criteria so I pulled the trigger. I had read a number of reviews that people didn't have luck with the Firewire because it would crash when backing up a lot of data. However, I've had almost zero problems with my relativly new iMac so I thought I'd be the exception. Well, I was wrong. I used time machine to do a complete system backup with FireWire 800 and it crashed 1/2 way through. I then switched to USB and it worked. This defeats the point of spending extra $ for FireWire. After that I transfered a couple 40 GB folders to the HD and it worked with FireWire 800. So I guess it crashes sporadically when using FireWire. Overall I'm happy with the purchase because Firewire is way faster than USB but I think that if I had to do it over, I'd buy the USB only HD and save some cash or get a larger storage size HD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer beware, August 28, 2010
Noisy and overheated from the very beginning. Crashed and now useless less than 6 months after purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Una buena decision., January 21, 2010
Raul Paniagua (Republica Dominicana) - See all my reviews
Funciona de maravilla y es facil de usar. El acabado es muy agradable al tacto y su apariencia es muy elegante. Cabe comodamente en un bolsillo y si lo quieres proteger contra cualquier caida mientras lo transportas te recomiendo la cajita de proteccion Case Logic Compact Portable Hard Drive Case que es un exito. Yo uso una Pc, pero compré este porque viene formateado para Mac porque pienso cambiar a Mac. El hecho es que para usarlo en la Pc debi primero formatearlo para Pc pero es muy sencillo hacerlo y funciona excelentemente bien.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good..., June 26, 2009
It was formatted for a Mac but i fixed that. Two partitions to seperate my music from everything else.

I had my last passport for a year before it started spitting out bad sectors (I am positive its because I let someone borrow it), I scanned this one and it came up 100% clean.

- Fast (even with usb)
- USB and Firewire
- Good amount of storage

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 years of solid performance, July 10, 2014
Have used it for three years with Time Machine backup on my 2009 MacBook Pro without any problems. Highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Firewire for Mac is great, March 25, 2014
I'm very happy with this device which I use to do my Time Machine backups on my MacBook Pro. Just plug it in and walk away, when you come back, your computer is backed up and if you use a computer a lot and you aren't backing up regularly, you're making a mistake. If you do regular backups, it is likely that there will come a time that you'll be really glad you do them. This device makes it fast and easy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Firewire dead, January 7, 2013
I was so stoked with this drive. It is kinda perfect. Solid, well designed, small......... but, just like reported above by Michael Macrone, less than 5 months in one of the 2 firewire ports on it died.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic External HD, December 14, 2012
Works great! Haven't had any problems, have stored my entire computer hard drive, including thousands upon thousands of high quality pictures, and still have lots of space

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable and if you are on a Mac, forget it., August 17, 2011
I've had one of these drives for about 18 months and bought it for a back-up drive for my Macbook Pro - it recently flaked out. The USB and FireWire interfaces that WD use seem to be particularly prone to fail on the Mac and reading the forums of the back-up utility, SuperDuper, the FireWire fails often, which isn't good if you need to boot from it. Additionally, it fails on extended data transfers when chained to other FireWire 800 devices and, given that it only has one port, it has to be at the end of the chain. I'll reformat and start again, but only as a temporary transfer drive - it's too unreliable to be a backup. I wouldn't buy one again.