5.0 out of 5 stars Made of Awesome
Published on February 8, 2007 by J. Hartung

2.0 out of 5 stars Note Power Requirements
Published on May 10, 2007 by Jason!

2.0 out of 5 stars Note Power Requirements, May 10, 2007
Jason! (Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Western Digital WDXMS800TN Passport 80 GB USB 2.0 2.5-Inch Portable Hard Drive (Personal Computers)
I bought this drive, saved the included software to another computer, then deleted it from the WD Passport....then reformatted the Passport. It worked fine on both my desktop and my laptop even though my USB ports (on both desktop and laptop) only provide 500mA of power. This drive, like most of it's competitors, requires 1000mA through the USB port to power itself. Some users have reported all sorts of problems because of this, as you can tell by the negative reviews here.

As i said, for some reason it works fine on my computers. My desktop did have some weird issues the first night i used this drive, but they stopped occurring since then.

You can check how much power is going to your USB ports by (in XP) going to Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System. Then click on the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager. At the botton of the next window will be the USB (universal serial bus)controllers. Double click on the "USB Root Hub"s and then click the Power Tab to see what the 'Total power available" is for your ports. If it says '500mA per port' then this WD Passport will not work properly on your computer without a special cable (available at WD's site, though it has been out of stock for several months).

Even if it does work on a 500mA port, like my situation, you still really shouldn't use it on the lower amount of power. Electrically, the USB hub is being strained and may eventually have problems.

And THAT is why i'm exchanging this unit for the Maxtor or the Samsung Zirex Pleomax, both of which COME WITH THE SPECIAL USB CABLE REQUIRED TO POWER THE UNIT OFF A 500mA PORT!

Those units are also encased in metal, which dissipates heat better than the black plastic of the Passport.

I really wish the Passport came with that USB Y-cable though. Other than this power issue, it is really nice. Western Digital really messed up by not providing the necessary cable for most users to operate the device safely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made of Awesome, February 8, 2007
J. Hartung (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
At my job, it's been my responsibility to send tens of thousands of digital images overseas to our international clients. At this point, I believe I've bought about twenty-five of these things - mostly the 80gb, some 40gb, and a couple 60gb. (I haven't tried anything larger than the 80). I've plugged them into multiple PC's (using XP Professsional). The drives are always read right away and have never required any driver downloads. I've not experienced any errors in copying data to them. I've sent the drives to fifteen countries. No one has reported any problems. As I've been sending these to countries with different power inputs, it's been a great boon that the drives get power via the USB connection.

Like I said - Made of Awesome.

1.0 out of 5 stars Did NOT Work, April 8, 2007
Shyguy (ALEXANDRIA, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I tried the product in three different computers and each time received an error: "Power limit has been exceeded on the USB Port". I went to the Western Digital site which offered two solutions: (1) buy an extra cable which powers the hard drive by using two USB ports or (2) simply ignore the error (they claimed the hard drive would still work). The extra cable is hard to find (it was out of stock on Western Digital's site). Regardless, I located a cable, but still got the same error message. So, I moved on to the next solution: ignore the error. That did not work either. The computers automatically disabled the port. Not to mention, the hard drive was obviously dead as a door nail. I did further research and found that this is a common problem (in many cases, the product was found to be defective). Someone suggested using a powered USB hub. I tried that, too. Hard Drive still dead and same error. So, I returned it. Long story short: this is a common problem. Sometimes it can be corrected with an extra cable; sometimes it is just a defective product. You are taking your chances with this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars I own the 120, October 3, 2006
Very nice little hard-drive, truly plug-n-play. Sleek, good build quality, and size is small, cool blue power light too. Power runs off the USB, which is great, less cords. WD "Sync" software is excellent, very intuitive and easy to use, nicely laid out. Speed is decent for an external drive.

The only knock I have on this drive is the USB cord it comes with is short (22"), could've used a 6 footer, or both for the price.

Definately recommended for those looking for a external for music or business.

1.0 out of 5 stars Needs another cable, March 29, 2007
"The WD Passport hard drive requires a little over 1000mA of power at spin up" says the WD troubleshooting website.

Why no mention of that here or on its product page? My usb drive provides 500mA so I need another cable. Extra cost and extra delay. What cheek.

I advise you to check what power your usb port provides before ordering this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks nice, but check your USB power, May 15, 2007
This product appears to be of good quality, but the snag is that if your USB ports do not provide 650 milliamps of power, you will have to purchase a separate cord to boost the power. This is the one thing that I wish was listed in its specifications. I have a Mac PowerBook G4 (purchased in 2004) and the USB ports provide only 500 milliamps. So, check your machine's specs before purchasing this. I would have kept the product, had my USB port had enough power. It is very compact and easy to store.

As one other reviewer noted, my package came with only a 6 inch USB cord, even though it says it is supposed to be 22 inches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, Sexy and Very Pocketable, May 26, 2007
This has to one of the best external hard drives available. You simply plug it in and within seconds you have access to it. If you treat it right it will last you for many, many years. I personally deleted the software that came with it because there is no need for it once you realize how simple this is to use. The black design is very nice as well and the little blue light that turns on when you plug it contrasts well with the black. You can easily put it in your pocket.

There have been talks about people's burning out after a few months...My advice: DON'T LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN 24/7. Its so quick to boot that it should only be plugged in when you need it, or at least unplug it at night. I use it to store music, so I can leave it unplugged whenever I am not listening.

Performance-wise there really is nothing to say. Its an external hard drive, not very complicated, just plain old storage. But transfers go very quickly as the hard drive spins faster than normal. NOTE: this faster spinning requires more power which requires USB 2.0. So make sure you have USB 2.0 slots, because I have heard of this not working on old computers due to their old USB slots.

Overall, this is a great external hard drive and I highly recommend it, Treat it well and it WILL last you a very long time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Recommended, July 3, 2007
This product draws power which MOST of the computers (both desktop and laptops) do not support. Even though the manual (which accompanied the product) states that it works with all (except a few PCs). I tried using the cable that would split the power to 2 USB ports and still it did not function. Why does the Company not provide the cable which would work with ALL the PCs.

Any one opting for this drive please be aware of the power problem before purchasing, neither your PC states the power USB provides nor the manual of the product highlights this problem.

VERY DISSAPPOINTED

4.0 out of 5 stars Proceed with caution (replace the cable and don't rule out an iPod), October 28, 2007
I'm replacing the 60 GB Western Digital drive, which inexplicably is currently priced higher than this 80 GB model (perhaps because it has the highest consumer ratings of all the WD USB-powered drives). I'm going with the 80 GB model this time, after a bad experience with the 60 GB model.

First of all, I've learned my lesson. If you plan to move this around a lot, get a soft case for it and handle it with care. I dropped mine (from about 5 feet), and it caused the female contact inside the drive to retract and become inaccessible. It's a long story, but the misfortune would not have occurred if Western Digital simply supplied a longer cable with the drive. The one that comes with the 60 GB model is 6" (I'll resist the sexual metaphors) and, since the 80 GB model is exactly the same weight and dimensions, I would expect its cable to be the same length. That's simply an impractical, unworkable length, expecially when you consider how most notebook computers are used. 12", maybe 18", would be optimal. Better too long than too short. So besides the protective padded case, plan on picking up a longer cable.

As for functionality, the drive performed flawlessly, a no-brainer for Mac-users, since no installation discs are required. But if durability is a major concern, if you're prone to "throw" things in your briefcase and toss your briefcase into the car, you may wish to take a look at the comparable Toshiba. A few bucks more and larger in dimensions, but it just "looks" tougher and more shock-resistant.

The Western Digital cable has a USB connector at the computer end and one of those tiny and insecure camera connectors (not sure what they're called) at the other end. I can see the reason for something so small and potentially problematic for a Canon Elph, but why can't it be a more substantial and solid connector for a storage drive? In fact, you may wish to consider (as am I) the largest capacity iPod, which uses a wide, lock-in connector at the drive end and can even exchange information with the computer via a convenient dock.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad drive, May 6, 2007
Steven Pierce (Orange County, Ca.) - See all my reviews
Well I had the original drive for one day, and it went dead. So I had to call WD and get it replaced. It is an ok drive, I was not really impressed with it. I had looked at them in the past (store suggestion), but did not buy one.

Not sure how much use it will get, I purchased it for a different reason.

With the first one dying, I had to rethink what I wanted it to be used for. I guess it will be good for a short back up, or a drive to carry files around when I can not use a thumb drive.