4.0 out of 5 stars Good TV for the budget
Published on October 15, 2012 by Nuknuk

3.0 out of 5 stars The light bleed is unacceptable.
The Westinghouse 32" LED LCD TV is affordably priced, but excessive light bleed keeps this from being a good set.

Published on September 26, 2012 by Anthony Pantliano

3.0 out of 5 stars The light bleed is unacceptable., September 26, 2012
This review is from: Westinghouse EW32S5UW 32-Inch 720p 60Hz Slim LED HDTV (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Design wise the Westinghouse is very simple and stylish. It has a dark gray bezel that looks almost like a brushed metal. On the bottom edge of the set is a clear plastic strip where the power light shines down on the right side. The base of the set is done in a piano black, but it does not swivel, a disappointment. At it's thickest point it's about 2" deep. Overall, it's a nice look, and doesn't look cheap at all. Indeed, the materials used, and the high quality construction, belie the TV's low price. I found no dead pixels on the set either. The included remote is pretty basic, but well assembled and has dedicated buttons for the various inputs. There is no printed manual included, just one on a CD.

Assembling the set is easy. You simply slide the base onto the bottom and use the two included screws to secure it in place. It's a job that's easily done by one person as the TV is light and manageable. Speaking of, the box that the TV comes in is also quite small and easy for one person to carry. After attaching the base, you just have to plug in the power cord. The power cord, unfortunately, has a power brick attached to it.

Features and connections are very basic. There is no internet connectivity for the Westinghouse to stream content online, nor is the set 3D capable. The resolution is 720p, not full HD at 1080p, but for a set of this size, that's hardly objectionable, and you would be hard pressed to notice the difference unless you were really close to the TV. The connections are as follows; 2 HDMI, 1 Composite, 1 VGA, 1 RF, 1 Digital Audio Out, and 1 Analog Audio Out.

When turning on the TV it takes a couple of seconds to respond, which can be disconcerting at first. The menu system is very easy to navigate, but has very few options, just your basic picture and sound controls and a few odds and ends. There is no timer to turn the TV on, but there is a sleep timer. Disappointingly, the picture settings are not input independent. Also, don't accidentally hit the return button while in the menu system as it will start the set-up wizard and all of your picture settings will be erased.

Picture quality is where this set falters, however. First let's start with the positives. The colors are rich and vibrant, and detail, especially for HD content, is sharp and crisp. There is no discernable motion blur and the viewing angle is very wide. The biggest problem this set has is light bleed. The edges of the set, when a dark scene is being displayed, are always bright and whitish. Unfortunately, it's very distracting and ruins any details that are in shadows. Moreover, the bleeding isn't even uniform, so parts of the screen are worse than others. When you're watching a bright scene, everything looks great, but as soon as the light levels drop, the Westinghouse reveals its major weakness. This is definitely not a TV you want to buy if you have a critical eye. Lastly, there doesn't seem to be a discernable difference between the "warm" and "cool" color temperature picture settings.

Sound quality of the Westinghouse is good, and while bass is weak, when the volume is turned up it gets very loud. There should be no problem hearing the TV in a noisy environment.

All in all...a good price, decent features, but disappointing light bleed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good TV for the budget, October 15, 2012
Nuknuk (Springfield, VA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a lot of TV for the price. Flat TVs used to cost a lot of money just a few years ago. I still remember paying eight hundred dollars for a Vizio that was only a few more inches bigger than this. Westinghouse is not known for making TVs which may discourage you from purchase. But the company itself is an American institution, a technological giant that even built some of the most advanced nuclear facilities around the world. Flat screens are also made by just a handful of well known makers who sell them to other companies like Westinghouse.

We are using this in our master bedroom. We have an average size room so the size is just perfect. I have connected it to an AppleTV hooked up through an HDMI cable and audio passing through the TV using an optical cable to a pair of powered speakers.

The resolution is only 720P but for a 32-inch screen, you don't see much difference unless you are very particular, in such case you probably looking for a higher priced/ higher end models anyway. It has a wide angle of viewing that my wife still enjoys watching even doing ironing on the corner of our room.

Pros:
- great for the budget
- wide angle of viewing
- lightweight, easy to move around

Cons:
- picture quality is OK.
- cheaper construction, everything is plastic
- You will need to go to westinghousedigital.com website if you want to install an antenna; you have to or you cannot start to scan channels. You will be required to select the model number and type the serial number.
- no tilt, you would need a mount to change the vertical angle. If you place it on a TV stand, there is no way to move it up or down

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware, November 2, 2012
Purchased product on 11/21/11, loved it, great image, however it died onn 9/14/12. Today it is 11/2/12 and after calling, emailing or live texting everyday and getting a different answer from customer service from Westinghouse Digital I was told my unit could not be repaired. I was told it would be 10-12 weeks for a replacement or I could request a refund which would take the same amount of time. I have read many review, this seems to happen to MANY of the customer who bought the same product. You get what you pay for, spend the right amount of money for a product that will last and for a manufacturer who will stand behind their product. I will never be cheap again!

5.0 out of 5 stars My first LED TV, October 25, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first LED tv and I'm impressed. Great picture, really thin frame. What more could you ask for? I've spend a couple days paying attention issues with the picture, really searching for anything. There really isn't much to complain about. I was a little concerned about a 60hz refresh rate being an issue, but it's refresh rate, even in action scenes is really, really good. No complaints there. The dark is very dark, giving the right feel of depth. Great picture, the audio is pretty good to. The audio is not top notch, but perfectly acceptable. Who really uses the audio directly from a TV anyway? The menu selection and remote could use a little fine tuning, but noting that would upset a normal person. I've got this TV in my kitchen and I can't really figure out how to turn it on without the remote. I haven't tried exhaustively to figure it out, jut saying that it's not intuitive (for me anyway). Who wouldn't use the remote though?
All in all I would highly recommend this to someone looking for a 32inch TV.

1.0 out of 5 stars Westinghouse does not stand by product., October 2, 2012
Bought a tv on Black Friday from Westinghouse. TV defective. Westinghouse will not stand by warranty. Product is subpar. Customer service ineffective.

4.0 out of 5 stars Activation needed for tuner., November 6, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The title refers to a step I had to take when trying to use the cable/antenna tuner. I had to go to Westinghouse's website, type in the TV's serial number and model, receive a PIN, and enter that PIN on the TV. Just thought it was an unnecessary setup step. It's a one time thing however, and you are not required to do it ever again (I think).

For the price I think it's decent. I've had it for only a month, so I can't speak about longevity, but I've connected a leaf antenna to it, and I think the picture quality is fine. Definitely a good for casual viewing. You can use it for regular movies, but you might also want to move that couch a little closer since the size isn't that great.

It comes with a standard 1366x768 resolution, so it's fine for connecting an HTPC to it and be able to use the Windows desktop when needed.

Other than that, I haven't noticed any light bleed like the other reviewer. It's actually perfect as an addon TV for your kitchen or guest room.

1.0 out of 5 stars No support. If you use a antenna you can't get a tuner code. don't waste your time and money., December 10, 2012
Westinghouse support is non-existent. I just purchased this TV and got it home only to find out that you need a "turner code". It says that you and text, email or call. If you want to use a antenna you MUST CALL. The support line is only open M-F. according to one site, it is because they have to pay a license fee if you use the ATSC tuner.
While the license issue may be the reason, and that's OK, but I'm finding that if you want to get a code for OTA the texting does NOT work, the email has not worked and the phone lines are only M-F and seems to ALYWAYS BE BUSY. The customer support sucks. My advice is unless your time and frustration is worth a few $$, SKIP THIS BRAND UNTIL THEY CAN FIX THERE SUPPORT. The other joke is the support site. Just click on the "Contact Us" link, it leads to a page that says "Site is Unavailable" Perfect.
I will not buy one of these again.

Mine is going to be returned.

4.0 out of 5 stars No issues - nice picture Ok sound, January 15, 2013
For the price I paid ($170) this TV was an excellent bargain. It's not a samsung but for a 2nd TV in my kitchen it's exactly what I needed. semi name brand 32" LED TV for under $200 is a good deal IMO.

I have 2 Westinghouse 42" LCD TV's as my daily living room and bedroom units for almost 5 years now still running strong with no issues so this brand has proved itself to be good to me.

Mounted it on a articulating arm wall bracket with no issues. I could not believe how little this TV weighs, it's super light which is great if your hanging on a wall with not much support or having to carry it around for presentations.

Easy set up, nice remote, good picture. Sound is Ok per most Flat screens but works fine for my kitchen.

Additional comments added on April 22nd 2013: The TV picture is still great but there seems to be a problem with the sound where the TV sound will just turn off randomly. The issue started shortly afer I got it and I would say it happens about once every hour or two where hte sound goes off almost like you hit the mute button. The TV needs to be turned off and back ion for the sound to reset and be back on. I may look into see if this is a known issue and a warranty repair is warrented if I can fined he time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defect Item, December 10, 2012
Lindsey Frith (MILFORD, OHIO, US) - See all my reviews
TV had a red line down the end of the screen. I was very disappointed as this was supposed to be a Christmas present. I will be returning and looking elsewhere for a new one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three stars since so inexpensive, but you get what you pay for., October 30, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Until I saw this TV I didn't know Westinghouse made TVs and technicaly they don't. This TV is a product of Westinghouse Digital LLC under license to Westinghouse. The Westinghouse Digital website seems to imply without actually saying it that this TV is an economical/budget TV, and it is. The TV is manufactured in China.

We got this for a second smaller bedroom.

Setup:

The TV is protected by a film, like all others, but when you pull off the film on the bottom plastic around the screen two things happen. First is it tears so you can only get a little piece off at a time but more important, second, the plastic trim pulls loose from the TV itself so you have to be very careful. The base is also covered by a film, I only mention this because it really show fingerprints.

There is NO printed manual, only a DVD. At first we didn't think much of this but after not being able to find where to plug in the AC adaptor (I admit this is the first TV I have had were you plug the electric cord into an adaptor and the adaptor into the TV, like you do for a printer). We found why this DVD only manual is a problem. You have to go to another room and view the DVD on another TV or in our case a computer. Then one person reads the manual in one room and shouts to the other what to do in the room with the TV. There are a few mistakes in the manual, e.g., "use four screws to secure the base to the TV", however there are only two holes to do so and only two screws supplied, the AC/DC adaptor input connection instructions refer to numbers that are not in the manual drawings, ditto for where the inputs are.

TV set-up includes the now usual: language, time zone and input (and that's all). A menu option will get you to adjust the picture, audio and son on.

Picture:

I am comparing this TV to a Samsung Plasma, which of course cost about 10 times as much so not fair and a Panasonic LCD mid-priced TV. I'm not a techno-geek so don't measure lumins, hue/saturation, etc. (and to be honest no geek would probably buy this TV), I just adjust the picture to what I like. When you turn on the TV there is a noticeable lag before the picture comes on, longer than our plasma, this takes getting used to. The picture isn't bad but the first thing I noticed is the picture doesn't seem to "pop" like the other TVs, it is kind of flat. Also not nearly as sharp as other TVs, just doesn't have the razor sharpness you are used to. The colors are fairly rich and balanced. So far there isn't any blurring or atrifacts. Sound is OK for a bedroom, again no one interested in serious sound would buy this TV.

One thing I did notice, if you are close to the TV you can see the pixels. I realize I'd never watch TV that close, I'm taking about 2 feet away while walking past and you just don't see that in the other TVs any more.

Summary:

This TV is an very inexpensive budget TV and if you are realistic about what you are getting it should work for you. However, if you are used to a upper level TV you will be disappointed in the picture. Good TV for a second bedroom, but not really for your main viewing or even a master bedroom.