on November 19, 2007
Bought this for kitchen HD.
Good: Nice HD picture. Fairly simple screen navigation
Bad: Horrible connectivity. All the ports are bunched up w/in millimeters of the other- to make matters worse its on the left-hand side.
Ugly: The HDMI connection. When switching between SD and HD sources using your HDMI cable-you will get a blue screen. You will need to cut the power to your source 1-4 times before finally arriving at a picture. I took the first back to BB and they said its something w/the encoding system for the HDMI connector. Hmmm funny, my Panasonic plasma doesn't have that problem.

Summary: its a nice set for a nice price if you can put up w/the maddening problem w/its HDMI switch.

Side bar: I've tried cheap-o HDMI cables and better-made cables and you'll be smart to use the better ones. Yes a digital signal is a digital signal-but brightness is a big issue w/the cheaper ones.

Bluejeans cable or monoprice cable is the way to go.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 30, 2009
My unit failed after about 14 months in service of relatively light use. It appears to be the same power supply problem that has been reported throughout these reviews. I called the Westinghouse customer service group, provide the information they asked for & was told I would be contacted by a certified service technician within 2 to 3 days. NEVER received a call.

I opened up the unit & noticed a slightly "ballooned" capacitor which is the same one discussed in another of these reviews. Location CE105 which is the electrolytic radial polarized 2200 MFD 10V. I have on order a replacement capacitor & will see if that fixes the problem. I'm ordering a Panasonic 16V thinking that may protect against any slight overvoltages & am also ordering one rated at 7000 hours @105C versus the typical 2000 hour ratings. A CapXon capacitor was in my unit & they are not known for their reliability.

Mike
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 14, 2008
GOOD -- PRICE, BI-PLATFORMED FOR TV AND COMPUTER
BAD -- NOT TRUE 16:9 (16:10), ACCESS TO DIGITAL QAM DIFFICULT, VIDEO AND AUDIO MEDIOCRE

For a cheap utility hdtv that can double as a vga plugged computer screen (or visaversa) as in a home office, this screen is a really good deal for the money. However pix and audio quality only mediorce and the viewing range on the lcd limited.

16:10 slightly distorts hdtv pix, elongating images by 10%.

CAUTION: You can not key-in digital channels directly on the remote, even though it has a dot key.
The only access to Qam digital is via on screen menu and then you can only access channels directly through the onscreen programming guide. Lots of key strokes. NOTE QAM is important, since it allows access to local HDVD channels without renting a box from cable or satellite.
on December 15, 2009
I bought a Westinghouse SK-19H210S in February '08. It was an acceptable, modest cost HDTV until it suddenly stopped powering on 21 months after purchase (and very light use during those months).

New it was $330 plus tax. Now it is worthless.

Though well out of its one-year warranty, I thought it worth asking if the company would address the problem (since who would ever pay a nickel for a TV that would die in less than two years). A Westinghouse customer service supervisor said they would only stand by their one-year warranty.

I won't buy a Westinghouse TV again, and you shouldn't buy one in the first place. A tip: Many Visa and MasterCard bank issuers include a one-year warranty extension on products with warranties of three years or less. If your bank offers this benefit, save your itemized original receipt, your card statement, and your warranty terms so that you can make a claim through Visa or MasterCard.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 12, 2009
I purchased my 19" SK-19H210S on 2/15/08 from Best Buy. I researched it and thought I'd made a very good buy even at $409 (on sale). Yesterday (04/11/09) it died. Now I've done more research in hopes of an easy solution. Turns out this has been a common problem for this model with sets failing usually 1-3 months after the one year anniversary. In addition, it seems that some of the problems I had before it died are also common (HDMI screen troubles that I attributed to cable). One site estimated repairs at $150 to $250 (over and above what I already paid) AND it is still likely to fail due to the way the components are welded together and the fact that one failed part usually affects others, which means future repairs and lost $. If the manufacturer is aware of these problems, they should have a recall. They definitely will not be getting any more of my money!!!
on December 24, 2009
As all the other posters who had it fail at about 14 months - ours just bit the dust. At first it would turn itself on at random times, then it wouldn't shut off, now it's finally just dead - won't turn on.

I'll likely replace the capacitor that is causing the problem - it's well documented and I have the needed skills and tools - but it's disappointing to say the least. Westinghouse used to have a motto of "You can be SURE if it's Westinghouse" (referring undoubtably to the 55 year old refrigerator I keep my beer in) - now you can be sure that it's a piece of crap if it's Westinghouse.
on February 25, 2009
I bought this for my Playstation 3. I have owned 2 of these now, each one lasted about 6-months, then failed.

The HDMI ports went bad. The other inputs worked fine. It started off, every once in a while the screen would just go black, then come back on in a few seconds. After about a month of that, all I could get was the blue screen of death.

The Westinghouse support is terrible. They insisted on plugging another HDMI source into the TV to diagnose it. I don't have one. They explained that this is a common problem with the PS3. So I believed them and sent my PS3 to Sony. It came back and nothing was wrong. But still no HDMI. So I called Westinghouse and explained the run around they didn't seem surprised at all. Their only requirement this time was that I FAX them my receipt. Not email, FAX. They said they didn't have email. Okay, so I had to hunt down an old FAX machine. I didn't hear anything for a week, so I called them back. They said they had lost the FAX. They didn't call me and say, sorry, we lost the fax. They just forgot about it, hoping I would too. So I had to go to town and FAX my receipt again. So three months without TV I still haven't got the return number. I filled out a complaint on their web site and they emailed me a reply. I said hey, I thought you didn't have email!? They said, oh but we can't receive attachments. Yeah right. Still waiting to hear from them so I can return my TV.

Stay away from Westinghouse.

Side bar: I've tried cheap-o HDMI cables and better-made cables and there is absolutely no difference whatsoever. Yes, a digital signal truly is a digital signal. It either connects or it doesn't.
on November 26, 2008
The TV worked great for 1 year and 1 week. Then it stopped working altogether. It is almost like it is programmed to last until the warranty period is out and then quit, forcing another purchase. Well, Westinghouse won't get my money again. Unbelievable.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 24, 2009
See the comments to this post for instructions on disassebling this TV. Understand, you do so at your own risk.

My TV lasted a shade over 1-year before the digital tuner took a dirt nap. I was okay with the picture & sound quality for the price, but had I purchased it at the "Brand New" price I would have sent it back. The volume level on this TV is for crap. Always had the volume above 75 so we all could hear it. However, the picture quality is really good for the price. Since the TV still powers on, it will probably live the rest of it's life as a computer monitor, which by reading the posts from other reviewers the power supply won't be lasting too much longer.
I guess since it's so close to Black Friday, I'll wait to see if I can find another deal on a HDTV to replace this one. You can bet your butt that it won't be a Westinghouse/GE brand TV.

UPDATE:
After attempting to use the TV as a monitor I discovered that was a short lived idea. That was a no-go as well, so then I got to thinking that if the power supply was failing just enough to give me partial power then it must be the notorious capacitor. Well, long story short, if you are good with a screwdriver and soldering gun and have about 2 free hours, go buy a 2200uf 16v capacitor and repair the TV yourself. The capacitor costs around $1.50 and is available at your local RS.
Anyone needing instructions on how to disassemble the TV, just post a comment and I will do my best to follow-up promptly. BTW, I now know why the sound is so weak, the speakers are about 1-inch in diameter.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 5, 2009
I'm in IT support for an organization who purchased approximately 8 of these. We placed them in break rooms throughout the building. After about 13 months, all except one failed! Indications are that it is the power supply - A faint clicking noise can be heard on all. Westinghouse should recall these and actually there should be a class action against them! I don't see how they can get away with this! Google SK-19h210s and you will see how widespread the failure is.

Customer Support is really bad also. I tried this route just to see if there was a recall or whether they would support a free replacement of the power supply. After being on hold for 15 minutes, I was directed to voice messaging and the mailbox was full! How's that for Customer Support? AND I read a post from another frustrated customer of the exact same thing happening, making customer support suspect!

Anyway, stay away from these unless you can get one free! You are almost assured to get a lemon. To see these many units fail at the same time should tell you something about quality control, and the fact that you cannot even reach customer support speaks volumes about buying any Westinghouse branded TV.

I've never bought Westinghouse and after this, never will.