Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Melanie Martinez Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

on June 28, 2007
I purchased this TV for home use. I was looking for a self-contained unit that would perform well on its own without the need for added components. This is my second LCD TV purchase and, while electronically savvy, I'm not obsessive about every detail (I have not spent hours looking for burned out pixels with a magnifying glass or cycled through every menu option searching for bugs). Thus far, I am very pleased with this television. For a videophile, this might be a good second/bedroom/kids TV. This would also be a good TV for an office training room.

I looked at several different models before settling on this model. I initially looked at the Westinghouse LTV32W432 with built-in DVD player but the reviews were lackluster and the unit appeared to have some quirks (like DVDs always commencing with subtitles). The SK-32H590D32 appears to be the successor unit and Westinghouse seems to have corrected all of the issues from the LTV32W432.

I found the picture to be first-rate for a sub-$1000 LCD TV. I looked at a 32" Sony Bravia ($1200) and several other models in stores and the picture on this unit easily compares. It is worth noting that, if you only have analog cable, the picture on this TV (or any other LCD/Plasma TV) will be a touch grainy. That said, digital cable and DVDs on this model are strikingly clean and clear.

The audio seems more than adequate for a self-contained unit. It's not THx Dolby Digital theater surround sound, but it has decent depth, is clear, and has simple adjustments for treble, bass and balance.

Esthetically the TV has a nice look with a simple Westinghouse logo and a DVD slot on the front (the DVD slot has a blue LED inside which you can toggle on or off). Note that the TV is, more or less, matte black with a small polished metal bar on the bottom and not grey as it appears on the Amazon page. It has a fairly low depth profile - 5.9 inches without stand - which is amazing considering the it has a front loading DVD. The unit is also relatively light (less than 50 lbs) and has an X screw holes on the back for wall mounting (for first time flat screen TV buyers, note that if you want to mount this unit on the wall, you will need to buy a wall mounting bracket separately). This TV also has all of the controls - volume, channel, mode - cleanly mounted out of view on the right side (for when the remote inevitably gets misplaced).

The remote and menus are simple and easy to use. The TV started up out of the box with a few simple questions (day, date, cable station search) and was ready to watch. The single, simple remote for both TV and DVD was refreshing (might be a good TV for a less than technically savvy person - elderly parents or inept officemates come to mind). I found the menus/settings much like the Microsoft Windows "Start Menu" (thus being familiar) and found them intuitive and easy to use.

All-in-all I found this to be a good sub-$1000 LCD TV and, so far, think it was very much worth the price.

2010 Update: DVD player broke after 2 years - unrepairable.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 5, 2007
The analog picture for the typical channels was far better than I expected and the digital picture is VERY sharp. I had no idea what I was missing with my CRT television! Menu for adjustments is simple and you can see the results as you adjust - Nice. I didn't go over it with a fine tooth comb, but I have found no dead pixels after the month+ that I've owned it.

Front loading DVD that plays various music formats is a great feature that I got specifically for my blind wife and the 'Eject' button on the remote is a bonus - No fingerpints from hunting for an eject button on the front/side of the TV. The DVD layout means this unit is not as slim as many other TVs out there, so be aware.

Overall remote layout was good, but the buttons are small. Sound quality is good & there's plenty of volume.

I was expecting a good TV with some compromises because of the extra features and competative pricing - This one exceeded my expectations and I have NO regrets.
on July 12, 2007
This TV had to fit in a small space. We got a nice size screen for the small outside dimension. The built-in DVD really helps with the tight fit. It has a great picture and a good arrangement for hook-up. We really are happy with it.
on November 23, 2008
Update: It's Feb. 15th , 2009 and the Westinghouse SK32H590D is still performing perfectly. No problems whatsoever. I just bought another refurbished Westinghouse. That brings me to a total of 3 Westinghouse LCD's with not a single issue. If I see another one at bargain price, I'll buy it too.

I bought the Westinghouse SK-32H590D last week and I couldn't be more pleased with it. I read all the customer reviews on this site and several others. I took most of them with a grain of salt but some of the misinformed really irritated me beyond belief. I don't get why some of these dummies are complaining about the TV's features when they should clearly just read the owner's manual and/or ask a 6 year old child for help.
1. The DVD player will resume it's last position IF YOU SET IT TO DO THAT IN THE DVD SETTINGS MENU!!! DVD RESUME, = ON. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!
2. The clock and the timer will work and will not have to be reset daily IF YOU SET THE POWER SETTING TO NORMAL NOT POWER SAVER WHICH SHUTS OFF ALL POWER TO THE TV!!! READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!! How do you think the clock and timer operate? Osmosis? Solar energy? Hamster turning a wheel? The TV needs electricity, duh!!! Do you unplug your digital alarm clock and expect it to wake you up in the morning too???
3 If you are going to complain about customer service not being great don't just say "we bought this TV and the picture was poor so we wanted to send it back." DEFINE POOR!!! THIS TV HAS THE BEST PICTURE OUT THERE!!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??? WHAT DID YOU TRY TO DO TO FIX IT??? HOW DID YOU HAVE IT CONNECTED??? Sounds like operator error to me.

Now that I have that out of my system, on to the review. I bought this TV for 3 reasons. It was dirt cheap ($369 afer rebate), the picture quality rivals the so called high end manufacturers, built in dvd player, and becuase it's a Westinghouse. I have another 32" Westinghouse which I have owned for over 4 years with not a single problem. I don't know if I am lucky or if Westinghouse just has a bad rep or what. 4 years without so much as a single dead pixel. I can't complain about that.

PROS: The picture on this TV is great. It's as good as the Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and for half the price tag. Also, the sound is amazing. I have a 42" LG which isn't half as loud as this Westinghouse and the sound isn't tinny or hissy either. I would list sound as it's second strongest attribute besides the great picture quality. Another pro, for me anyway, is that it is a Westinghouse. I love my other Westinghouse and I hope this TV meets or exceeds that long term reliability.

CONS: You will have to tinker with the video settings to get it just right but it's not a huge hassle. There are also several presets which are decent. I like to customize my own settings so this wasn't a big deal. The remote isn't great either but that's why they invented universals.

In closing, I think this is a great TV, especially considering the price. I would also like to reitterate how important it is to know what you are talking about before you start trashing a product and steering potential buyers away due to your own incompetence and lack of product knowledge. All it takes is 5 minutes to read the owner's manual and most of your problems probably would have been solved.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 23, 2007
This LCD television has a great picture but not ALL the features work the way they should. The Weekly Timer does NOT work. It has to be RESET every day. I exchanged the first one I bought and found that the second one had the exact same problem. I have been in contact with Westinghouse technical support.

Regardless of this glitch, it is a great LCD television at a great price.

This is the only feature that I have found that doesn't work. The Sleep Timer works fine.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 6, 2008
I purchased a Westinghouse TV and within 4 months the TV was broken. At that point I called customer support and they were NOT willing to stand behind thier product. I asked if they found it reasonable for a TV go out in 4 months, all they said was that they could not help me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2010
I bought this TV on super sale for $298, so I guess I shouldn't complain. The only reason I thought it might be a decent TV is that we own another Westinghouse TV that we love (LTV-32w1). But, no such luck with this one.

The first annoying thing is the aspect ratio settings, or lack there of. There are 3 basic settings; Standard, Fill, and Overscan. With Standard selected the picture does not fill the screen and you end up with 2 black bars on either side of the picture. With Fill, it stretches the picture across the screen making people and items look wider than they are (basically, everyone looks fat!). The best option, that still is lame, is Overscan. This attempts to fill the whole screen while maintaining the correct aspect ratio. But the setting cuts off images on the top and bottom. So, for example, if you are watching something with subtitles, sometimes you can't see the bottom line of text. Same thing with banners at the bottom of the screen. Very annoying. This aspect ratio problem is reason enough to not buy this TV!

But it gets worse. The picture quality is lame, even when you adjust the advanced video settings. The presets, straight out of the box, really aren't good. So, you really must adjust the advanced video settings manually (color, contrast, brightness). But even then, the picture quality is way too green and no amount of adjusting fixes this. We did find that the only acceptable input to the TV where the color settings were tolerable was with the HDMI input. Otherwise, it's horrible.

To add to the bad video quality, off axis viewing is intolerable. Unless you are sitting dead center in front of this TV, the color settings that you painstakingly set will not translate. So, someone sitting off to the side is wondering why everything black looks a bit green, etc. It's just awful.

In my opinion, the only good thing about this TV is the price. It is quite affordable. I guess it's another fine example of "You get what you pay for!"
on September 21, 2011
This was a gift from my son a couple of years ago. I love this tv and dvd. I've had one problem in that if it overheats after consecutive hours of being on it shuts down. My tv is usually on from late afternoon to 6 am--yes, I use my tv as a nightlight. When I'm sewing or doing another activity I use the dvd player to play my music or bible cds. The sound is really good. I'm not an expert on color, etc--but compared to some of the other color tvs I've seen I enjoy watching my tv and using the dvd player. bam albuq
on December 27, 2008
I bought a "refurbished" unit from Buy.com in early December for $399 (with $1.99 shipping!). Our family loves it. I just wish I'd put two in my shopping cart--I was afraid that at $399, something must be wrong!

I am surprised at how much we enjoy the simplicity of the built in DVD and love the flat black frame on this unit.

People are getting a little carried away with analyzing the features of flat screen tv's. This unit should be enough to make anyone happy.
on October 22, 2011
I bought our tv as a christmas gift three years ago from target. I should have bought the protection plan, but i figured that a westinghouse should last more than three years. well, the picture is gone and I can find no help because of no extended plan. After reading other reviews, I plan on researching more before i buy again.