Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Weston Butcher Saw with 25 Inch Stainless Steel Blade
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Size: 25 Inch Blade|Change

on April 1, 2014
The first thing I did was turn the blade around so it cuts on the pull stroke instead of the push stroke. This alone helps you cut MUCH straighter, especially when making long cuts like splitting a carcass into 2 sides or when cutting rib racks from the spine.
This saw isn't meant for cutting meat so ignore the negative reviews where people complain about the rough cuts or about pieces of meat sliding all around. You are supposed to cut meat all the way to the bone with a knife, cut the bone with this saw then finish the cut with a knife. If you want to cut meat with a saw you need a meat cutter's band saw. Otherwise use a butcher knife and this saw.
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2014
For the price, an excellent saw. Dressing a large 300+ pound hog, it feels like cheating compared to using cleavers or even hatchets. It cuts through bones fast and easy and leaves a minimum of dust. I have both 16 and 22 inch saws, and use them wherever they fit. In general, the 22 inch sees more use in the hogs. It's likely too big for something like sheep or deer.

Some advice:

- Flip the blade so that the saw cuts on the pull stroke. This is an old woodworking trick. It causes the saw blade and frame to tension as you pull into the cut, rather than flex as you push into it. I suggest this especially to those who have had issues with these kinds of saws "flexing" as the cut. Try it.

- Regardless of game saw, cut meat with a knife and bones with a saw. If you cut the meat with a saw, it will have a torn surface that loses moisture and get tough, faster. For instance, when I am cutting off a leg I use the knife to get to the bone, the saw to get to through the bone, then the knife to finish it off. Don't take shortcuts or you'll be disappointed.
on November 25, 2012
I love this saw, it cuts my frozen meat and fish just fine; and it stays sharp, and it's stainless steel so it resists corrosion.
on October 3, 2012
I purchase bulk meat on occasion, use this for cutting prime rib into manageable portions, works extremely well, comes with a blade cover. The saw is extremely sharp and well suited to its task. don't lose the blade cover that comes with it. I wouldn't store mine without it, for safety and blade protection.
on February 19, 2013
This is a FANTASTIC butcher saw. Very sharp. The tooth count is excellent. I quartered up (5) Deers this season with it. Cleaned up beautifully.
on August 2, 2012
We were looking for something to cut up a leg of frozen pig. Basically, what others have said here is true. Trying to use a hand meat saw (basically a food grade hack saw is what this is) to cut frozen meat requires that you be ready for a huge mess and be a professional weight lifter. I ended up having to let it thaw most of the way in the fridge, but then I was able to quickly cut the big pieces by myself. The tension is great and did the job. However, it is held together with screws that will fill up with fat and meat and take a toothbrush or tooth pick to remove. This is probably true of all these kinds of things, just something to remember when cleaning it!
on October 13, 2013
This is a great product for cutting food items. The only problem that I had and others who wrote about this product said
the same thing. The packaging needs help. It was trying to "escape" when it arrived.
on April 18, 2014
Great Saw. I am a taxidermist and have used the hell out of this saw and love it. It is very durably built and should last a long time. I like the polymer handle it should out last the wood ones by far.
on January 13, 2016
We bought the 22 inch saw and the blade bends and rolls. The tension is so bad that it is impossible to cut in a straight line and the saw is constantly binding. We used it for 3 pigs and 2 sheep and the results were terrible, mangled meat. You're also putting your fingers at risk by using such an un-sturdy blade. My husband cut himself with the back of the blade and it shaved off one of his knuckles. How he wasn't cut worse is a miracle. Maybe the 16 inch is tighter and better? This saw was garbage in our experience.
on June 17, 2011
I believe this is my first product review ever-- I was inspired to do so out of pure loathing for this product. The tension is so low that the blade wanders completely out of control. I ended up about 2" off course within 10" while splitting a pig. It was so bad that I went back to my $10 hack saw, which did the job infinitely better. To add insult to injury, I was badly cut by the back of the blade (not the teeth) while trying to stabilize this noodle of a blade. The sawzall is a much better way to go. Caveat emptor...