Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

83%
17%
Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on December 31, 2010
This is sci fi with a multi-layered plot that comes together very well. The characters become established and you feel that you know them. I thought at first it would not be the kind of story I lean toward but was caught up in it very fast and found it hard to put down. I really hated to see it end. I wanted it to just keep on going.

If you like science fiction, "We've Seen The Enemy" will be a book you will enjoy!
on June 25, 2011
O
M
G!
I absolutely hate scifi, and only bought this book because I read Dayton's Eye and Pandoras Sister books. I really enjoyed the reads (with some caveats) and figured that if his two books were so good, I should give this one a try.
Wow. Half way through, I was totally engrossed. I REALLY appreciate the fact there are no alien terms or unpronouncable names, something that would turn me off scifi right from the start.
I also liked that the main character was a woman, though her name tricked me at first. Science was serious but the Glossary helped, though it was a bit annoying to have to 'flip' to the end to check some of the terms. Maybe its because I don't read scifi in general. I did check some of them and they're real, meaning that the terms might be stuff most scifi readers might know of.

Best part for me in this immense book was the earth sequences and especially the back history, which is Dayton's trademark - filled with believable facts.
As to negatives, there really isn't any. His other two books had a few minor things, but were overall excellent. This one completely changed my view on scifi. What a fantastic read! And the ending was AMAZING.
I picked this up for free during an Read an eBook Week promotion. It's $3.89 in the Amazon Kindle store as I write this review, and you will get a lot more value out of it than the $3.89 purchase price.

I use a modified version of the Baen criteria in judging science fiction: the technology and plot lines needs to be believable, you have to be able to relate to the characters, and if there are aliens don't gross me out or overly confuse me with strange names and abilities. This one hits it on all fronts.

The basic outline without having a spoiler is mankind has an apocalypse based upon an alien invasion whose sole purpose appears to wipe humanity out of the galaxy. The aliens do a pretty good job, and we then fast forward 700 years to where mankind has regrouped and is fighting back in a major way.

The author does a great job of multiple story lines at the beginning, as well as good character development and dialogue, then bringing them all together throughout the book. The battle scenes were believable, and the good guy doesn't win each and every time (which adds to the story "believability"). I found myself not wanting to put this one down, and was sad to see it end.

Here's hoping the author writes a sequel to this book - I'd certainly purchase it!
on June 3, 2011
I loved We've Seen the enemy. I am a SciFi fan thought, so I am biased. But the author Paul Dayton does a fabulous job of bringing real characters you can feel, fleshing them out well. The story from chapter one jumps right into the action and takes you, the reader, along for the ride.

Dialogue rang genuine, and I liked that there were NOT a bunch of strange names as what often happens with fantasy and sicfi alike. Its like you have learn a completely different vocabulary just to follow a story. There are some new names, but with a helpful glossary and they all make much sense.

But this was simple enough to follow and complex enough with multilayered plots to keep the reader engaged. It is one of those can't-put-down books. I recommend it to sic fi fans and end-of-world fans.

Jack and Jason keep the story going with intrigue, action, and suspense. I liked that Jack was a female, a strong lead. Often woman are side-weak characters. But this story did the female gender justice. The author does a good job of allowing the reader time to get to know Jack and Jason before introducing new characters and this makes for a smooth read.

And the ride isn't over...cuz I hear there is a sequel.

Reviewed by Ami Blackwelder
Author of Shifter Evolutions
The Day the Flowers Died
Gate of Lake Forest
on June 21, 2010
We've Seen the Enemy is exactly what I want in science fiction: a multi-layered, good old-fashioned space opera replete with action, adventure, believable plot lines, frightening adversaries and multi-dimensional characters at whose apex is a strong female protagonist - "Jack", fearless, determined, a born leader and a closet romantic.

Apocalyptic events thrust mankind into the stars, with strange and varied consequences. What happens when society falls apart amidst the chaos of alien attack (or was it?), and how does society restructure itself, what are the new tenets, what happens when questions get raised amongst a portion of the now-small populace? There are good aliens and bad aliens, and telling the difference is not clear-cut by any means.

There's enough technology to get even the most jaded fanboy [or girl] arguing, debating and offering suggestions, yet it never buries or sidetracks the plot.

It begins with the fable, the cautionary tale, as a lesson, essays required, why, how, with what consequences, priming us for events to unfold. We flip back and forth through and around events, through time, with additional links built into each new chapter. One feels a unified whole with multiple avenues of discovery. And multiple avenues of deceit. Will time win out? Will mankind survive?

Heady questions, thought-provoking, a downright good read.
on December 18, 2010
I read this eagerly as I love my sci fi, and I wasn't disappointed. It has all the right elements - interesting technology, ass-kicking action, post apocalyptic drama, and big mind-expanding questions. But the fantastic characters give it that edge which raise it above the norm.

I could see this being adapted for TV. Maybe the next Firefly / Battlestar Galactica? Paul Dayton is becoming one of my favourite authors.