Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football Baby Sale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 28, 2011 1:14:26 PM PDT
Last I remember, Barton Fink, an outstandingly brilliant work of the Coen's if there ever was one, was within the range of these films. A shining moment for both John Turturro and John Goodman, it would be sad so see it get lost in the dust of these other releases. It's like, does anyone even remember it?

Posted on Jul 30, 2011 9:26:58 PM PDT
whitegumby says:
Totally agree - Barton Fink is easily near the top of the Coen's greatest films if not the very top. Glad to see Miller's Crossing getting it's due but hey, I've got that Barton Fink feeling!

Posted on Aug 5, 2011 6:40:52 AM PDT
...and I may be asking for the world here, but I'd also want to see The Hudsucker Proxy (a sadly underrated gem) included... you know, for kids... that would complete this set for me. What gives?

Posted on Aug 20, 2011 12:36:11 PM PDT
Koray Savas says:
There's something to love in every Coen film. I'm personally glad to see a majority of their catalogue released simultaneously. I hope The Ladykillers and Intolerable Cruelty aren't far off.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 11:19:51 AM PDT
layin low says:
They should have gone balls out and included Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy and last but certainly not least imo, No Country For Old Men, one of my absolute favorite films of all time.

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 12:26:11 PM PDT
paper tiger says:
UK Coen Brother Collection including Barton Fink!!! (Pre-order, Region Free? Unknown)

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Coen-Brothers-Collection-Blu-ray/29834/

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2011 10:56:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2011 2:30:08 AM PST
I was just going to comment but this is turning into a mini review of the UK Coen Brothers Collection linked above. I'm sure other Barton Fink fans out there are wondering if it's worth picking up.

I just received the UK set in the mail yesterday. Amazon UK has it for a great price right now, even with the exchange rate. Yes, the discs are region free and worked great in my Sony BD player. These are real Universal releases, not some shady Chinese discs or something. The set is in a slim blue plastic case with hub rings to lock in the discs. There are no individual cases for each film like this US set has but each disc does have full color artwork printed on it.

There are five movies in this set - one disc for each movie. Completely different movies from the US set so there is no double dipping you have to do.

Barton Fink
Intolerable Cruelty
The Big Lebowski
A Serious Man
Burn After Reading

If you've got the US set as well, I'd say the transfer of Barton Fink is on par with the transfers for Blood Simple and Raising Arizona. There is quite a bit of grain in some scenes but other scenes look great. Some of the close up shots, for instance, look amazing. Basically, it's a typical HD transfer for a movie of its age. I don't have the old DVD release to compare it to but considering how old that release is now it has to be an improvement. No extras at all that I saw on the disc, but lots of language choices.

I haven't explored the other discs much yet. I started watching A Serious Man because I hadn't seen that film before, excellent transfer there but then that movie is only a couple of years old. The artwork on The Big Lebowski disc is exactly the same as the one on the Blu Ray book release that just came out. I haven't put it in to see if the extras are the same but I wouldn't be surprised.

** Checked The Big Lebowski disc and it is exactly the same as the recently released US blu ray, just without the fancy blu ray book packaging. Plus you get the added benefit of being able to watch the movie in six different languages so you can learn how other cultures say the f-word! **

If you're dying to get Barton Fink on blu ray like I was and you don't already have most of these other movies then it might be worth getting at the current price, just don't expect anything amazing. If for some strange reason you don't already have new blu ray release of The Big Lebowski then yes, this set is worth it for those two movies alone at the current price. (I think with the exchange rate it worked out to around thirty-five bucks but I'm sure that could change at any time.)

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 10:17:04 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I too am dying to see 'The Hudsucker Proxy' given a decent release. Such an underrated movie, so disrespected by that cheap WB double-sided disc.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Jun 28, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions