5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch in every regard.
Published on March 6, 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful footage and sounds, but not enough
At the beginning of 'Whales', Patrick Stewart superbly sums up my view of the ocean: "It is a place as alien as space. A fluid world of darkness and cold..." He equally sums up my view of whales: "...creatures so immense and so mysterious, they seem unreal." I have always been a little afraid of the ocean. It reminds us that we are small and vulnerable in comparison to...
Published on March 16, 2008 by MPE43

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-notch in every regard., March 6, 2000
This review is from: Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format) (DVD)
While it's tough to match the experience of an IMAX theater, this piece does an excellent job. Video quality is excellent, as good as any I have seen. Colors are vivid and crisp. Audio includes a good musical score (a bit loud at some points, but appropriate overall) and good use of under-water sound that makes good use of the soundstage. Narration is high quality. A good example of what a DVD can be, particularly for fans of the IMAX format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing!!, June 29, 2002
Menno Alberts (Amsterdam, N-Holland Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format) (DVD)
When I saw this movie for the very first time (National Geographic Theatre, Victoria BC, Canada) I was stunned! It is just beautiful! The music, photography and story-line (narrated by Star Trek's Patrick Stewart) and the quality of sound and vision altogether made this DVD a must-have! I still watch this movie time after time, it simply still amazes me...

5.0 out of 5 stars breathtaking, December 18, 1999
This review is from: Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format) (DVD)
This is an amazing feature-the best I've ever seen on whales. The great thing about it is that it includes a number of different species of whales and also has fantastic scenic shots! Breathtaking close-ups & crystal clear pictures

4.0 out of 5 stars Suitable ocean scenes., July 6, 2004
This film on whales, originally shown in Imax, has excellent footage on whales and chronicles of their annual migration. It is narrated by an actor who starred in many films.
There are a suitable number of underwater scenes to make this an all around good presentation, but don't expect footage in quantity to equal it to "The Blue Planet", or "Secrets of the Ocean Realm" films. There are underwater clips to marvel at here. One of these is when the camera swims over a rocky ground, which contains killer whale skeletons. The best ocean scene of all. However, it is an excellent comparison and an essential film to own.
The VHS film quality is fine. The digital transfer is all right, nothing significant. The music looks good, playing as if recorded immediately after the Imax premiere. Your best buy, however, would be the newly mastered DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars an excellent overview, August 19, 2000
I actually found this video to be a surprisingly intimate and informative portrait of whales, even as it takes us to several different kinds of whales. The way it successfully "touched" upon its various subjects is pretty rare for the range it was covering. I almost didn't buy it because of the first review here, but that would have been a mistake for me. Yes, it would be rather silly to purchase if one doesn't have a relatively strong interest in whales, but it is very skillfully shot and made with real care for those who do have such an interest. And it goes without saying that many such videos are rather frustrating, if only because I don't want them to end, and I find myself wanting to be out there with the folks actually doing the "hands on" work...

4.0 out of 5 stars Whale of a Tale, February 26, 2003
This review is from: Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format) (DVD)
Great family show! We saw this movie as an IMAX (Virginia Beach Marine Science Museum) film with our 3 & 5 year old boys. Now they love whales. Especially my 5 year old. He keeps amazing me with the facts that he remembers from the film. Breathtaking footage,especially the humpbacks feeding. This is a movie I won't mind watching again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best IMAX films., September 26, 1999
This review is from: Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format) (DVD)
Extraordinary patience and lots of time and feet of film have taking us into the secret world of the Whales. A must see. Great information for kids, for us and for the experts in that field.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice one for IMAX collection, December 21, 2000
This review is from: Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format) (DVD)
This is great to rent and watch and a nice one to own. If you have kids they will love it. The audio is great. Especially, the sounds whales make deep underwater.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful, September 7, 2002
D. Guy (Lufkin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format) (DVD)
I picked this DVD up for my kids not expecting too much. I was pleasantly surprised with the absolutely stunning cinematography and crystal clear sound. You get to see some really amazing footage of whales underwater as well as plenty of above water shots. Patrick Stewart narrating was a nice treat too. I also appreciated the strait forward coverage of whales and their life without the normal wacko environmentalism and evolution theories. You get whales and whale facts beautifully filmed. I highly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Spectacular!!!, January 29, 1999
This review is from: Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format) (DVD)
This is some of the most stunning and spectacular photography I have ever seen.
If you like watching wildlife films you will LOVE THIS!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Whales - An Unforgettable Journey (Large Format)
$19.99 $9.79