5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary
Published 17 months ago by George Goldberg

3.0 out of 5 stars I definitely feel better speakers could be bought for the price at this ...
The highs are definitely lacking, i tried pairing it with independent tweeters and it was obvious the highs of the wharfedale are lacking. In addition one of the speakers I got had some scratching noise and it was a hassle to return just in their nature. I definitely feel better speakers could be bought for the price at this time, its just those speakers are hard to...
Published 5 months ago by Hee K. Yi

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary, August 1, 2013
George Goldberg (Tucson, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
For many years my main speakers were Klipschorns, huge 185-lb speakers which stood in the corners of my living room. When I moved to Arizona, I couldn't find a house with corners and replaced the K-horns with a pair of Paradigm Monitor 11 (v.3) floorstanding speakers, the last of the line I believe made in Canada. I enjoyed them for 10 years and needed to downsize and accordingly tried a number of standmount speakers.

The problem which immediately became apparent, is that there is no longer anywhere to hear MOST speakers in Tucson, an MSA of a million people, or even in Phoenix, a metroplex of 3.5 million people 100 miles up the road. For example, there is no longer any Paradigm dealer in Tucson - indeed, the closest dealer that carries the Paradigm Signature line, which would be an upgrade from the Monitors, is in Las Vegas, NV, 450 miles away. In a typical issue of Stereophile magazine, NONE of the equipment reviewed can be auditioned in Tucson, and if a dealer for one of the items can be found in Phoenix, it will not carry any of the others, making comparisons impossible. Yet many people tell you that the published specs don't mean much; you must trust your ears, rather difficult to do when they have nothing to listen to.

What, then, is one to do who wants, say, a pair of speakers? What you are doing now: reading reviews written by people you don't know who have different electronics than yours and very different listening rooms as well as different ears and possibly different tastes in music. As for the published specs, they really don't mean much except to tell you how low a speaker will go - all decent speakers go well beyond the hearing of most people in the upper range. Now, very small satellite speakers don't go very low, perhaps not much below 100 Hz, which is why they are usually bought with a subwoofer. These speakers, the Wharefedale Diamond 10.1 standmounts (or bookshelves, but they really sound better in the open on stands than confined within a bookcase), are rated down to 48 Hz, which is as low as most instruments and all voices go. In fact, I have measured them down to 20 Hz, which is as low as most subwoofers go and lower than any instrument other than a giant pipe organ.

So the range of these speakers is more than adequate for just about any kind of music except pipe organs and some electronics (which have no limits). But that tells you nothing about their quality. Any speaker will reproduce a Middle C - but so will some car horns or paper party horns. Here is where comparisons are so important and yet so difficult to perform. I have tried perhaps a dozen standmount speakers over the past couple of years by the only means possible: buying them online and trying them at home with a return privilege. In most cases, you will have to pay for shipping at least one way, and after a while those charges add up; but there's no other way unless you luck out early. I didn't and probably paid for these Wharfedales 3 or 4 times over.

I should say that I compared speakers costing up to 10 times the price of these - not, of course, all at once but 2 or 3 at a time (I bought a speaker switcher box to allow direct comparisons). Some were better than others in this or that respect, but all had some drawback which was a deal breaker for me until I found these speakers, which I am now using with a very modest setup: a Yamaha R-S300 receiver and a NAD C516BEE CD player and 23" wooden stands I bought years ago in New Zealand (stabilized with 8-lb barbells across the front of the base). I could not be more pleased listening to everything from chamber music to Mahler symphonies and the occasional Broadway show.

As for looks, that was of the least importance to me, but these look very nice indeed. I have them biwired, though the value of biwiring I know is controversial - I already owned the cables which I used for the Paradigms, so they didn't cost me anything. Finally, they come with black fabric grilles which may be necessary if you have small children or pets but the speakers sound better without them. That's not a guess. There is a sinkhole of 5dB at 4000 Hz with the grilles on; without, they're virtually flat.

One final point. When people hear I compared speakers ranging in price from $350 to $3,600, they accuse me of comparing apples and oranges. My response: oranges have thick orange-colored rinds and lots of juice, while apples have thinner skins which are usually some shade of red or green and less juice - that is, why can't I compare apples and oranges; I just did. I cannot recommend these speakers too highly for the kind of music I listen to (I have no idea how heavy metal or grunge or the like would sound on them). Best $350 I've ever spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little speaker very attractive for the price!, September 1, 2013
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
After reading good reviews of these speakers in a couple of Audiophile magazines that I subscribe to I decided to order a pair to use in our family room. The Warfedale Diamond 10.1 Rosewood speakers are being driven by a Harmon Kardon 3490 receiver that is used to play music from an ipod using the HK Bridge interface. All music on the ipod has been recorded in the loss-less mode. After letting the speakers break in for 40 hours with songs from the ipod a-c in a moderate listening level I sat down to give them a critical listening to. I was very impressed, good open sound stage, deep bass, and good midrange, voice, and nice highs. As I listened to some favorite playlists I was impressed on how easy these speakers were on the ears. I also heard some small details that I did not expect to hear. I then took them into my man cave and hooked them up to my McIntosh MC2300 amplifier that is run by a McIntosh C-41 preamp and listened to some vinyl on a Music Hall MMF2.2 turntable with an Ortofon stylus 20 cartage. The Speakers sounded very good with the extra sonic muscle the vintage 300 watt per channel amp provided. I would not replace my custom made Cornscalla Klipsch styled speakers with the Warfedale Diamonds, but If I had to use these as my main speakers while I was replacing some caps in the Cornscalla's, I would not be too disappointed with these speakers. I actually think that you could spend 5-700 dollars more on another brand and not get a better sound for the money. I would recommend these speakers for easy noncritical listening. Great speaker for the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous value!, December 9, 2013
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
These are amazing speakers for the price!!

If you are looking to spend less money, please, PLEASE find a way to increase your budget. If you are planning to spend up to $800 on speakers, you should still carefully consider a pair of 10.1s.

I've spent thousands on my HT system (and thousands more on my computer speakers). I wanted to upgrade the pair of zone 2 speakers in my bedroom but wanted spend a lot less. After a LOT of research, I decided to try the Diamond 10.1. (Disclaimer: I did not order these from Amazon, but Music Direct. At the time, orders from Amazon were being fulfilled by Music Direct anyway.) The Polk Audio RTiA3s were a very close second choice, but they seemed like they would be a tad too bright, though I've never compared the two models.

The Diamond 10.1s are great for pop/rock music. They go much lower than any speaker (of that size & price) I've ever heard. Using my RTA with a calibrated mic, I measured an in-room response down to the lower 40s. There was no mid-bass "hump" that is common in this type of speaker. Just even and smooth deep bass. Bass guitars had all their notes present without any particular notes being exaggerated. Kick drums have a good punch.

IF you're into jazz or classical, they are a special treat! The soundstage (stereo imaging) is much larger and more solid than any speaker I've heard in their price range. Similar to the low-end, the high-end is very smooth and extended. Violins, snares, hi-hats, etc are all well-voiced.

Of course, there is no speaker in this price range that gives the subterranean punch required of electronica, hip-hop, ska, dance, etc. music. That will require a separate subwoofer. With some carefully listening and adjustment, the Diamond 10.1s match up quite nicely with a quality sub. (I chose the Hsu STF-2, which is overkill, but I love headroom!)

Are they as good as my other speakers? Well, no. But then again, they are a lot less money. However, they are much closer in quality than I ever expected for $350. (If they are currently selling for less, all the more reason to go for it!)

Please be aware of the curved sides. If you need to place speakers on their sides, that could be a problem without custom stands to put them on. Also, they are physically deeper than many speakers of this type (about 11").

The wood veneer is a nice touch. I picked the cherry. Most speakers in this price range are covered with a plastic. They look as great as they sound, imo.

Don't just take my word for it. Do a search for "wharfedale diamond 10.1 review" and see what stereophile, cnet, and others have to say about them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Bookself Speakers, May 23, 2013
Kari (SF Bay Area, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
I have been looking for a set of bookself speakers to replace a pair of Altec-Lansing 508 tower speakers. The foam dampener around one of the woofers was deteriorating and I assumed that the other 3 woffers were soon to go - the speakers were 26 years old. The Altec-Lansings were absolutely superb speakers but needed a large room with high ceilings. To compare the Warfedale to the Altec Lansings would, of course, be unfair. However they are the best bookself speakers of their size that I have listened to, and, I have listened to quite a few. They are the perfect size for the small living room I now have - and I love their sound.

If you are thinking about purchasing a pair, I highly recommend them. However, beware that they are 6 Ohm speakers and sound best when powered by an amplifier with a 4 Ohms rating. If your amp is only rated at 8 Ohms, it may not have the current capacity to fully drive the drivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love, Love, Love these speakers, February 25, 2014
W. Ballard (Oklahoma City, OK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
I posted a review on the Polk RTi A1 speakers over two years ago on Amazon.com comparing these Wharfedale's against the Polks. It's currently the second most helpful review for the Polks Polk Audio RTI A1 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black) (thanks everyone!). At the time, the Warfedale's were not available on Amazon. After hunting all over the place, I got mine from Music Direct, and I recently noticed they are now offering these speakers through the Amazon marketplace. Good for them, and good for us!

Having had these speakers for two years now, I can honestly say they are the best I've ever had. Not the best for the price, or pound for pound, simply the best speakers I've ever had period. I've dumped small fortunes into my audio and home theater systems over the years. I've had Bose, Polks, Infinity, Klipsch, and other great speakers, but I like these the most by far. I have a high-end Onkyo receiver and I run these bi-amped as my mains. I have tested the limits of the Wharfedales just to see what they can handle, and I can't turn the volume up high enough to distort them or lose sound quality. My ears simply give out before the speakers do. They are beautiful, they are crystal clear, and they do everything. From home theater to background music, the Wharfedales are amazing in every way and I highly, highly recommend them. One of the best purchases I've ever made for the enjoyment they've given me.

Whether you're a dude building the ultimate man-cave or a lady who likes to get her groove on to Katy Perry tunes while she gets ready in the morning, get these speakers. Spend a bit more on quality speaker cabling, banana plugs, and a nice receiver and you will instantly become the envy of all who know you. Seriously. They're that great.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will think they are floor standers, September 3, 2013
WHARFEDALE - DIAMOND 10.1 ROSEWOOD

The amount of clear crisp sound these speakers reproduce is simply amazing. I hooked up a sub for movies but do not hear it when I play music thanks to the rear ports. I have 32" stands and put then maybe 10" from the wall. I am playing them with a Onkyo 9050 stereo integrated amp using my library through Apple TV. This is audiophile quality sound for $800-$900.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will buy more in the future, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
The speakers live up to their excellent reviews. I am very impressed with the quality of performance for such a reasonable price. Only caveat is that you won't be able to push these to excessive volume levels without congestion. They fill my large 18X40X10' room with beautiful music at loud, but not painfully loud levels. I especially enjoy how they sound from both 8' away and from 38' away. I did have to return the first pair as one of the speakers had something rattling around inside of it. The vendor handled the return and replacement without any expense, distress or fuss. Marvelous! I am intending to buy more sets of these in the future for bedrooms and A/V surround sound systems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural Hi-Fi, December 5, 2013
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
Amazing quality. I'm very pleased with the presence, the sound is of utmost fidelity. I'm using at home in my office with a receiver Onkyo TX-8050. A reliable source of audio quality can be felt (digital output from the computer to the digital input on the receiver via optical cable) is required. I do not see the need for subwoofer to enhance bass, they are felt and natural. If you prefer the most sensitive cases, this may not be your choice, and evaluate the power of your amplifier to be able to marry correctly. There is a box to give a dance, is to take pleasure in listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Right timbre/balance sound!, June 27, 2013
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
When a speaker produces the right balance of high and low notes you get a very engaging and realistic music! That is what you get with these speakers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bass and delicate treble, August 1, 2014
einv (Finger lakes---NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood) (Electronics)
Weak on midrange balance but the bass and treble rock my world. Best uses are on a secondary music system for bedroom or basement. Probably better bass than many floor standers. Treble is delicate and not in your face so if you wish for more brightness you would remove the grill. However I've found that dispersion is better with grille on. Its legendary status is well deserved!

Wharfedale - Diamond 10.1 (Rosewood)
$349.00