Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 21, 2012
Personally, I don't care about the "purists" or "naysayers" that microscopically scrutinize this album. Yes, I love "Fresh Air" as well as many other QMS songs and albums. But let's face it, music -- and the arts in general -- are purely subjective. Besides, music has always meant three things to me: "good friends, special places, and great memories."

I was in the military, stationed on the East Coast in the early '70s, when I first heard this album. After work, or on weekends, a large group of "us-friends" would get-together and party. And music served as the centerpiece. Those were the days of technically fine turntables, huge speakers, and an intense focus on music. And we were "lucky/spoiled" since great bands and terrific songs were still coming out of the woodwork. The mood was usually enhanced by black light posters, drip candles in wine bottles on coffee tables, and lots of rich conversation and laughter. It just couldn't get better than that :) Furthermore, this album received a lot of playtime not only at most parties I went to, but also as part of the playlist of a very cool FM radio station in Albemarle Sound, NC. It's title cut served as a reminder that we were living through very unique times: an unpopular war, massive domestic protests, and an extremely palpable rejection of "us" by the American populace on the whole. There was a running joke that yard signs often read, "Dogs and Sailors Keep Off." All served to "bond" each of us even closer.

"What About Me," by QMS, was one of those albums that I bought instantly after first hearing it (much like I did with Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon"). To say Dino's voice was unique is an understatement. John's guitar work was pretty special. Also, take a look at Nicky Hopkin's notable history -- he played with all four Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and many others. Pretty impressive stuff. And the more I listened to ALL THE SONGS on this album, the more I appreciated it. It's actually a pretty diverse album offering a bit of rock, jazz, ballads, a funky "Won't Kill Me, and a couple of excellent instrumentals. And, as previously mentioned, the title cut was one of the best 60s-70s era societal protest songs that you've probably never heard.

To make a long story short, it's been decades since I wore out my vinyl and 8-track tape copies. And I often thought, "Gosh, I'd love to have that album again." Well, I finally found it here on Amazon, pulled the trigger, and bought this CD. I couldn't be happier. And whenever I happen to play the seventh cut from this album, "Spindrifter," (think Nicky Hopkins... sure wish I could compose music like this...), many people remark what a beautiful song it is, and inevitably say, "Huh? Never heard of this band." It just makes me smile and recall the countless friends, places and parties from my youth. So, yes, this album still delivers something special for me... even today. Thanks, Amazon :)
VINE VOICEon April 17, 2012
By New Year's Eve of 1969, Gary Duncan had rejoined Quicksilver and had brought Dino back into the band with him. The band had taken a vote and everyone but David wanted to record in Hawaii. Off they went with most of this and most of the previous album Just For Love recorded at Opaelua Lodge in Haleiwa, Hawaii between May and June 1970. As with the previous release, a fair amount of the songs on here are written by Dino using one of his pen names, Jesse Oris Farrow although not quite as many. It was the last to feature Nicky Hopkins, John Cipollina and David Freiberg for several years. The album was released in December 1970.

The album starts off with the title song What About Me which contained both social and ecological concerns. The song also received a lot of FM airplay. The Album's other highlights, for me, are John's Local Color, David's Won't Kill Me, Nicky's Spindrifter and Gary/Dino's Subway. I like this album better than Just For Love because there's more variety in the songwriting and has a bit more of a group feel to the entire album even though Nicky left and was replaced by Mark Naftalin during the sessions. John would leave not long after with David following after him.
on October 10, 2008
C'mon people, get real. This album, and its predecessor, Just For Love, are weak drop-offs from their previous efforts. Chicks will dig this for the Dino songs and the "mellow" groove nature of some of the jamming. While that's all fine and dandy, all you have to do is listen to the first two albums to realize how far they'd fallen by the time of the release of this album in late 1970. It's no wonder John Cipollina left after this album. Duncan valiantly tried to keep up as the standard bearer after Cipollina left, but two inconsequential albums were all he could muster before the band petered out.
One other thing....I've never liked the sound of these two albums recorded in Hawaii. There's such an abominable echo and tinniness to the proceedings, it really detracts from the music. Dino probably using too much reverb on his vocals to make it palatable.
66 comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2000
This was an excellent album, but it lacked some of the great songs such as Fresh Air. Other than the song choice, the album was great. The guitar playing was just as great as their other albums. I would only get this one if I really liked Quicksilver. If I were just a person whose friends had reccomended it, I would get something along the lines of the anthology because that has all of their really big hits. But if you want to hear some not as famous songs, but just a good, get this one. This is a great cd for listening to on loong trips becuase everybody will like. My dad who usually listens to Tony Bennet, my mom who listens to the Stones, and me (I listen to punk rock) all listen to Quicksilver and we have no arguements about listening to it.
on June 15, 2014
This is going to be a negative review. Happy Trails "Who Do You Love" is the best QMS song, IMHO, and the youtube video of Mona is pretty good too. Dino Valenti (AKA Chet Power) was in jail during the recording of Happy Trails and their first album. This album features the nasal sneering drone of Dino's voice with the self-importance pretentious lyrics typical of some of the worst of the late self-satisfied sixties songs. Just as Cipollina and Gary Duncan were two of the best guitar exponents of the best guitar music. Another review here goes into better-informed detail about Chet. Amazing that he wrote the wonderful "Get Together" song, best known in the Youngbloods version. I listened to the post-Happy Trails albums with mounting dismay. Valenti was the sort of slick hippie con-man who immediately impresssed and soon disgusted many of us.
"What About Me?" means I'm a revolutionary because I like to smoke pot. Right. Oh well.
on May 21, 2014
Just for Love and What about me reflect the state of grace, peace who lived Quicksilver Messenger Service during the two months in Hawaii, in fact the two records came out a short distance from each other. Well not bad, and if the 'original group consisted essentially in putting together all that work and it was trend in 1970 (pop, rock, acid-rock, psychedelic, garage) must give place to do it well and often in an original way. The song of the same name What about me, was transmitted continuously on radio across the USA and became a big hit. Unfortunately, the production was not excellent, it lacked a producer to guide the band in the studio and from the first listen you realize that the ideal size of the group is to play live in a stage.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 11, 2011
Quicksilver Messenger Service (Quicksilver)/ What About Me: The song "What About Me" may be the best counter-culture song of rebellion ever produced, even if it did come out just as that culture was falling apart. I love the song and often repeat it a few times before I get to the rest of the album, which never matches the heights of the title track. Quicksilver never made a `masterpiece' album but always seemed to match the thoughts and feelings of their era. I am of that era and I enjoy listening to their albums, but they rarely had more than a couple of songs per album that would remain relevant and memorable. This album was made during their best period, but at best it is a four-star effort.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2006
I love this lp and Just For Love but why is this one $4 more? And the offer to buy this and Just For Love together is no deal, it's the same price as separately. C'mon amazon, get your poop in a group.
on August 27, 2007
Like everyone else, I love "What About Me?" and that's why I bought the album (when it was on vinyl) initially. But the song that caught my ears most on this particular QMS album is Gary Duncan's "All In My Mind" with the beautiful Bossa Nova chord progressions and arrangement that reflects his Jazz roots and love for Brazilian music. Gary also played bass on this cut and it's one of the finest bass work on any Rock tunes (though you can hardly call this one that, it's more Brazilian)!!

When I first heard Gary's solo on this tune, I couldn't believe how beautiful, sensual, expressive, quintessential, capricious, and concise it was all at the same time. This amazingly beautiful solo is really neck to neck with the legendary solo rendered by the great Jazz guitarist Wes Montgomery on "Once I Loved."

Gary Duncan, while he was often overshadowed by the two other more publicized members of the band, is the one who has nimbly and powerfully laid down the basis of the QMS with his gutsy, powerful, colorful rhythm and down-to-a-point, sensuous, haunting, complex but flowing solos. So it's great to hear him really shine on this tune and show his true form as THE mastermind of their music. Those of us who listened to the QMS closely all know it was Duncan who really DELIVERED the music. So I think he really deserves way more recognition for being the true genius he is. I'm a sucker for great guitar playing and listen to many great players including Pat Martino, John Scofield, Mike Stern, Scott Henderson, Robben Ford, Jim Hall, to name a few, and I put Gary Duncan in one of the world's top 10 most talented guitar playing musicians of all.

Also, I actually like Dino's lyrics to this song better than anything he's ever written, as it really echoes his spiritual approach to his rather unusually interesting life. I feel the real sense of "saudade" all over the song; longing for life. You also realize from listening to him sing in this rather odd key (as the tune was originally composed to be instrumental) that he has a such a great range in singing and actually was a good vocalist even though he was often criticized for having a nasally tone to his singing.

"Subway" is another great tune but I like the version they did at Kabuki Theater more because it has a raunchy Bluesy kick and the soulful movement to it.

Actually, I'd buy this album even if it has just these 3 tunes, though I like the wispy breezy tone on Gary's guitar on "Long Haired Lady" a lot.
on March 14, 2014
The cover was as described. The vinyl has a number of pops and background notice. Still I believe the seller indicated that. Not a bad LP for the price.