Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

What Battery Life Are You Seeing?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 76 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2007 9:33:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2007 9:36:03 PM PST
J. Ramsey says:
After testing a couple times with a full battery charge, I consistently get 3 days max of Kindle reading. Each sitting is 4 - 5 hours (per day). This is on the font #4 setting. In theory, the smaller the font, the fewer page turns per hour and the least battery drain per day (with wireless off). So those who read using #3 or #2 font may be getting significantly more days between recharges. I'm reading only novels, not newspapers.

Anyone getting longer usage out of a charge? Amazon claims a week! (Perhaps most folks only read 2 hours a day)

Perhaps we can get a log going using the consistent format of:

Font Setting
Novels / Newspaper reading
Hours of usage per day
Wireless on/off
Days before battery was dead

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 5:11:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2008 6:57:17 AM PST
P. M. H. says:
J. Ramsey: My Kindle's battery last a short day, wireless off, #4 font, lots of reading. Amazon said defective and sent a second one - same problem. Amazon found a defect that can drain battery in sleep mode - they are developing a fix to be downloaded to all Kindles - not ready yet. Oh, and the problem rate with Kindles in use is less than 1%. Since I got two with a defect, I thought maybe I should start buying lottery tickets. :) I also think they should name the fix after me. :)

Added on 2/2/08.
Well, by now I feel like a bit of an expert on Kindle battery life. I have experience with 3 different ones - and the battery last about the same on all of them. It seems to be a factor of how much/fast I read. Next paging uses up battery life. Think Amazon did not factor different reading styles into advertised battery life. My first Kindle has worked the best - good thing I kept it while testing the other two. :) So I just charge mine every day and continue to read about a book a day at FONT 4. Told Amazon to change how it lists battery life - it sure would saved me and Customer Service a lot of time and testing. Oh, and if you need a replacement - they get it to you in about one week, even tho that is not what it says on the estimated date.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2007 9:30:23 AM PST
I'm getting 6-8 hours of reading time over 1 1/2-2 days, without wireless on. I have talked to Amazon several times and haven't received a final answer/solution yet. It's good to hear this may be a problem with battery drain in sleep mode and that they are developing a fix - I'd guessed there was some sort of drain. I'll be patient, as hard as that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2007 6:05:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 25, 2007 6:25:20 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2007 6:25:30 AM PST
Monty Manley says:
I'm seeing three or four days at a time -- wireless off, screen locked most of the time. When I read, I read for an hour or two at a time, maybe a total of four hours per day. I haven't actually turned the unit *off* in a couple of weeks. I'm reading books -- no blogs or newspapers -- and my font is set to the #2 (next-to-smallest) setting.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2007 7:45:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2008 6:21:55 PM PST
Less than a day. I leave it charging overnight. Read for no more than 45 minutes on the commute to work. Four times now (in 2 weeks) it's been dead by the time I've commuted home, twice requiring the battery to be removed and re-inserted in order to wake it up (reset alone didn't do it). Other than the first occasion the wireless was switched off. Very disappointing battery life.

Follow-up 29Dec. Email to Amazon support received a quick but unhelpful response (they were unable to determine the problem and 'strongly recommended' that I use their phone support). Have now been waiting on phone support 1.5hrs - no indication is given as to queue length.

Follow-up 29Dec (later). Support line hung-up on me after 3hrs on-hold without my getting to speak to anyone.

Follow-up 03Jan. Amazon sent a replacement battery. The problem persists.

Follow-up 08Jan. A replacement Kindle is on its way, due to arrive in approximately 1-2 weeks. For those curious, since the very beginning I've been explicitly putting mine in screensaver mode when not in use.

Follow-up 30Jan. Have had my replacement for a couple of weeks. It's working fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2007 8:53:19 AM PST
Momster says:
Font Setting - Smallest
Novels / Newspaper reading - Novels
Hours of usage per day - 4 to 6
Wireless on/off - Off
Days before battery was dead - fourth day, and still going, less than half.

I leave it in sleep mode if I'm not reading. And actually - I had the wireless on for about 12 hours on of the days.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007 2:09:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 25, 2007 2:12:23 PM PST
Blackbeard says:
These are interesting results. If there is a bug causing power drain in sleep mode as reported, it's definitely not affecting everyone. And if it's fixable by software, then it must have something to do with settings or personal usage patterns. Momster is reporting great results, but it seems to be the exception, since so far everyone else has reported far less battery life. I wonder what is different about Momster's setup?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007 4:42:51 PM PST
Momster says:
Towards the end of the fourth day, I started losing battery pretty rapidly, and recharged. I guess I could have stuck it out to see how much longer I had.

I only get to read in one stretch at a time as I have a toddler to chase around most of the day - so this might help battery life, maybe? Also looked like I had the smallest font setting - so less page turns?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2007 6:09:56 PM PST
Thomas Hill says:
I have used my Kindle for almost a month now and I have noticed battery issues also. The first day I used it, with a full charge and wireless on, it didn't make it through half the day. I am now averaging about 10 hours of use per charge and that is with the wireless off at all times. I seem to get even less time when letting it go into sleep mode so I have been using the power off switch when not in use. I started this about 2 weeks ago and it has helped a bit. Overall I love the Kindle but battery life was probably one of the biggest purchasing points for me so this issue is aggravating. I have been in touch with Amazon and although they have been very polite and have requested usage information they have not offered any solutions as of yet. I have been just waiting on this issue since Amazon is not really coming up with solutions for me directly. As a result I have been hoping for a software upgrade and I guess I will end up ordering another battery to see if my battery might be somewhat defective. We'll see. I wish they would be more specific about their battery life. Seven days with wireless off? Seven days at how many hours per day? They don't seem to give out those numbers. I want to hear total hours of continuous use or better yet, total page turns per charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 5:34:03 AM PST
Sean M. says:
After a day and a half of heavy use with the wireless on, I'm at half-full. So that's in line with what they're claiming.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 5:47:08 AM PST
schulzmc says:
I read 1-2 hours a day, font size 3, and mostly read novels and three blogs. I leave the wireless on all the time. My Kindle gets charged 2 times a week and has never been below half on the battery meter. Just to test (I'm going on a trip the end of the month) I turned the wireless off for two days and did not see the battery meter drop at all during that time (same usage).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2007 7:22:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2007 7:23:44 PM PST
J. Ramsey says:
Now that I am turning off the unit (using the rear switch) when not reading, it has doubled the battery life. No question in my mind that the unit sitting overnight in "sleep" mode uses battery power. Future software patch or not, I'm using the rear switch from now on and I am now pleased with the usage time per charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 6:48:20 AM PST
mr.anthrope says:
When tracking battery life issues, I think it would also be useful to know whether the user has an SD card installed, and if so, the capacity of the card and whether reading is being done from the card. I once had a PDA whose battery life was noticeably less with an SD card installed.

I just received my Kindle, so I can't comment on battery life yet, but it is not unprecedented for a company to make exaggerated claims about battery life. I have had many rechargeable devices not live up to manufacturer claims, including PDAs, phones, digital cameras, and of course the iPod. A company's opinion of what constitutes "normal" usage is often different from what might be expected by an actual user. I am sure that iPod would have done much better, if I had simply played the same song over and over again, at the lowest possible volume setting.

I guess battery life claims are like gas mileage claims (your mileage may vary). I will be disappointed if I have to recharge the Kindle too often, but unless it's extreme, I won't necessarily conclude that the device is defective.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2007 3:27:43 PM PST
With a full charge, it was dead overnight when the cover was closed and fastened with the elastic band without putting it into sleep mode or turning it off. It apparently had the selector wheel pressed in. Otherwise, days of use barely puts a dent in the charge. The recommendation to turn off overnight sounds good to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2007 6:35:52 PM PST
Ernesto says:
I'm reading 2-3 hours per day, every day, and get at least 5 days out of the Kindle. I turn off wireless, use font #4, and turn the power switch off instead of leaving in sleep mode when done reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 5:16:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2008 5:30:41 PM PST
I've had my Kindle a few weeks and pretty much love it. In most respects, I feel Amazon has produced an incredibly well realized and thought-out product, EXCEPT for the disappointing battery life. So far I've been using it at home, and charging it every day or two is no big deal. Traveling, though may be another matter, where the shortfall may seriously compromise the Kindle's usefulness. I get no more than a few days reading (estimate approx 3-4 hours/day, up to 10 maximum) on a full charge with the wireless on no more than a minutes or two. When the wireless IS on, the battery drains so fast that I haven't had the nerve to keep it on long enough to measure -- but I doubt it would last more than a few hours. Overall, I'd seem to be getting only about 1/3 of the life Amazon promises and the design of the device should deliver -- with the wireless off, and less than 1/4 of the life they state with it on. Whether or not an SD card (1GB, not reading FROM the card) is installed seems to make no difference. Turning the device off when not reading MAY make a difference, but I'm not yet ready to concede that is necessary; Amazon themselves say it is not.

What SHOULD be expected? Well, Amazon repeatedly says two days with wireless on and about a week with it off. The lithium polymer batter is pretty large, equivalent to an extra capacity battery in a mobile phone, and on standby use one would expect at least a few days life. The e-Ink display by design uses power only when it is changed/refreshed, and in itself should last at least the week they predict.

Anyhow, today I contacted Kindle support. Though I'd feel more confident if the guy I spoke with actually KNEW about the problem and could report there was a solution, at least after consultation he was advised to send me a replacement. Fair enough; time will tell if it is better. From various posts and reviews, I suspect the battery life problem is quite prevalent, though seemingly not universal.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 7:33:14 PM PST
PHL1111 says:
I've been using my Kindle for for a little over a month now and I consistently get 4 to 5 days of usage between charges.

I always leave it turned on during this time, when not reading it is in sleep mode with the Font Setting on 2 or 3. I use it for for Book/Document reading only with occasional dictionary, note and highlight usage. I typically use it about 2 and 4 hours a day and keep the wireless off except for about about on average of 15 minutes per day using Amazon store for browsing or downloading books/samples. Lowest battery goes before I charge it is about 1/4 charge left according to battery indicator on the Kindle so I could probably eek out another day or so if I was willing to let it go to completely dead - but I'm nost

Once I had a problem with it and the charge went from full to 1/2 full in 4 hours while in sleep mode when I had added about 200 public domain format books to the SD card (a bunch being around 200) at one time. I contacted Amazon support and they diagnosed it and said it was due to indexing, which takes place whenever you add new content, even if it is in sleep mode. This seemed to be the case because it has never happened again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2008 9:46:55 PM PST
D. Freeman says:
I tracked the battery life, but don't have exact times for reading each day. This has been a busy week, so I averaged 1-2 hours a day reading. Always put it in sleep mode when I wasn't reading and did not have the wireless on at all except for the one time noted below. My experience with light reading and (almost no) wireless made it exactly one week; however, once the battery hit half life, it seemed to drain more quickly.

12/27 fully charged at 7:30 p.m., then unplugged from recharger
12/30 late afternoon battery goes down 1/4 after using wireless (slower 1X connection) for about 10 minutes -- this was the only time during this test that I turned the wireless on
1/2 afternoon woke it from sleep and saw that it was at half life
1/3 afternoon woke from sleep and noticed it had only 1/4 battery left
1/3 evening woke from sleep, saw battery at 1/8 left, and immediately got a warning saying the battery was low and I needed to plug it in
(I then read for about 1/2 an hour more and decided to plug it in before it died on me, so it never officially died)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2008 5:55:00 AM PST
Anna W. says:
I've had my kindle since november 30th, and leave it on almost all the time. Just screensave it and cozy it up into the strapped case when I am not reading. I turn on the wireless for periods of between five and fifteen minutes once or twice a day for updates and to look up something on wiki. When I forget to turn the wireless off I notice that it happens automatically after about 20 minutes or so. (On the average day I am near computers most of the time so using the K for internet access isn't necessary very often.)

I hardly ever let the battery get down to less than 25 percent, and it takes four or five days before that happens. Seriously folks, I can charge it until the light goes out on Monday night and begin noticing that the little battery icon is getting low usually around Thursday or Friday.

I don't understand you folks telling me that the kindle battery is a problem. It has not been a factor for me at all.

jim

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 4:24:54 PM PST
Opinionated says:
Font 3
novel reading
2 hours unplugged after a full charge
wireless off
full charge to complete discharge in less than 8 hours in sleep mode
I've sent two emails to customer service and am still waiting for a response. I'm now leaving the Kindle plugged in most of the time and I'm thinking I may turn it off tonight to see if the battery holds a charge. It is somewhat comforting to know that others are having the same problems. Other than the battery issue, I love my Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 11:53:10 AM PST
Battery life is a non-issue for me. I do a lot of reading on-line (as it is my only personal internet connection) and charge it when it gets down to about 3/4 full. I do this less than once a day, sometimes while reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 4:10:26 PM PST
T. Schiel says:
When I use sleep mode throughout the day, the battery is 3 days or so. If I turn it off when I know I won't pick it up anytime for the next few hours or more, it lasts much longer. Since I charge it every other day when I go to bed, this hasn't been a problem. The manual says to charge it frequently so I got in the habit right away. Apparently when in sleep mode for long periods, it does drain the battery. My Sony reader last about 3 weeks, but it takes longer to charge. The Kindle does charge quickly and to me this is not an issue at the moment. Sony had a battery draining problem also and fixed it through a software update and I'm sure Amazon will do the same. I only turn on the wireless when I order books and turn it off right away. I also only order my books through my computer when I'm not traveling...I find it a little easier to browse books that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 7:27:39 PM PST
Amy M. Walts says:
My Kindle hasn't arrived yet-- killing the wait time by reading the posts-- but if the Kindle battery is rechargeable, then would it help to treat it like the battery in a laptop computer? The instructions on those usually specifically say that the first few cycles on a new battery, you should let it run COMPLETELY out before recharging, then give it a full uninterrupted recharge. Most times they tell you, too, that it can take a new rechargeable battery a few full-drain cycles before it performs to the high end of its time range. Has anyone made it a point to do this? I wonder if it would make a difference...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 7:55:46 PM PST
Anna W. says:
You know, Ramsey, I get the impression that the battery will run down at a rate that surprises it's owner when it turns out to have been 'working' somehow.

The fellow that downloaded hundred books and then noticed that the battery lost considerable ground as the kindle dit it's indexing. Or the guy who closed and strapped it without putting it to sleep... causing a continual key press.

I realize that enough folks have experienced a problem so that there is a real issue out there... but I suggest that the size of the issue is inflated by people who are not putting it to sleep before they close the cover... or otherwise mucking it up in some fashion. potentially defective batteries to one side, there are enough people that report that things are working just fine to rule out some obvious design flaw...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  76
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2007
Latest post:  Apr 22, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (7,973)