Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on October 26, 2011
Not only are the recipes we've made from this book fantastic, (Scrambled Eggs with Kale, Braised Chicken with Farro, Tuscan Kale and Tomatoes, Japanese pancakes), but the information about each age and stage of cooking and eating is so very helpful. I highly recommend this book to anyone with a child (or with one on the way) who wants to make meals the entire family will love and know that their children are getting a healthy, well-balanced diet.
on December 15, 2011
Albeit this book looks nice - it would look good on a coffee table. But it is poorly written, replete with anecdotes about the author and her son as well as the chefs she interviews that are often banal and sometimes even off-topic. The book is organized by age groups, but that's about the only organizational structure the reader can detect. The writing is all over the map. The photos are nice; the paper the pages are printed on are heavy and glossy, but other than that the book disappoints. There are some good recipes but there's not enough of them. Instead, the pages are mostly filled with the rather meaningless anecdotes mentioned above. Furthermore, a lot of the recipes are highly impractical. Granted, the recipes are what chefs cook up for their kids so they're going to be more sophisticated but a lot of them just go too far to be a practical dish to serve your kids. Finally, if you're looking for a cookbook that will show you how to cook health-conscious meals for your kids, What Chefs Feed Their Kids is decidedly not it.
22 comments14 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
I was really excited about this book at the beginning, however, after reading through it, I found it somewhat choppy (pun intended) and unrealistic. I have a two year old that I'm desperately trying to get eat food, real food and I had hoped this book would provide a good idea or two. Interesting, but by no means life changing or really even meal planning changing.
on November 14, 2011
Aaron's book, "What Chefs Feed Their Kids" is not only a great book for feeding your kids, but a wonderful tool for any person looking to spice up their mundane meals. I am a teacher and love using these recipes for snack time - however, I also use this book at home for meals made just for my husband and me. The recipes are easy to follow, and the book has gorgeous photos that help a tired chef like myself become inspired. Not only that - but the book uses stories and experiences to pepper a personal touch throughout. A must have!
on November 17, 2011
Fanae Aaron hits it out of the park! The cookbook is a great guide to getting your child excited about new foods and how to eat healthfully. The best part- it'll change the way you think about food and get you cooking delicious meals in a flash, even if you don't have any kitchen skills or culinary background. A must buy!
(...)
on May 12, 2015
If I was only looking at this week’s food performance, it would probably be a two. While the cookbook is lovely to look at, it was abundantly clear that 1) I am not a chef and 2) I don’t live in California. Some of the ingredients you really have to look for – and when I’m shopping with kids, I’m not exactly moving at a leisurely pace. No time to search – unless it’s for C hiding out in the bakery. If you’re looking for a great looking cookbook that tells stories and offers some kid-friendly food tips along with the recipes, give this one a try. It would be an awesome baby shower gift for the foodie new parents who still believe they’ll maintain the same level of cuisine after having kids. And hey – I’d take reading a beautiful cookbook over opening my 37th “so cute” onesie any day of the week. You can see actual pictures and the full review at http://99cookbooks.com/2015/04/21/what-chefs-feed-their-kids/
on February 26, 2012
What a great book for parents to have as a resource. Picky eaters make dinner time difficult on the best days and here is a book that will help put your mind to rest. How do other families kids eat? How do I get my kids to just try new things? Why do we have to always eat `Kid food'? Well pick up this book and learn what has worked for those actually in the food industry.

From birth to teens this book will give you ideas, recipes, experiences, answers to problems you may have with your child's eating. How much is too much? How much is too little? I have been blessed with kids that eat pretty much anything. We started them out young eating what we ate...no baby food...gross would you even eat it? I loved the order of this book and how it started out with the youngest eaters and then progressed. Great personal experiences and I have even tried a few recipes and they are good and the kids ate them!

This book would make a wonderful baby gift to new parents or a Christmas gift to a hard to buy for family. My only complaint is the size of the photos of the food. I like full-page photos in my recipe books, and even some of the prep-work. Otherwise this is a terrific book for all parents out there. Who wants picky eaters anyway? I sure don't, it makes meal time a fight. I'd rather have a experience we all can enjoy.
on December 5, 2011
What a clever idea for a cookbook! It is thought that kids are fussy eaters but if you give them good food they will eat good food. Although I have a nephew that when he was very little he loved to dip hot dogs in blueberry yogurt - truly gag worthy. But he is a very adventurous eater because his mother took him to restaurants and let him try many different things.

This book breaks down into chapters based on the child's age and gives recipes suitable for what they can eat at that point. It was interesting to me to read how the different chefs came up with the recipes for their children. You can feel their love and concern in the stories and in the food they create. Many of the recipes are adaptable for adults with minor changes and I did just that for a Carrot Salad recipe that I presented to my hubby with his Thanksgiving dinner.

The cookbook is full of delightful recipes and truly good information so if you have children or know someone who does it would be a great addition to your cookbook library.
on January 4, 2013
Full disclosure: my six year old is already a great eater. My friends always comment on her love of vegetables and exotic "nonkid" food. I got this book because I was looking for new recipes to throw into the rotation and the book features Peter Berley, whose other cookbooks I have. I'm happy to report that the recipes in here are delicious so far and user-friendly. (As others have mentioned the curried chickpeas are a winner!) I am even happier to see that I -- decidedly not a chef, rather, an amateur who is passionate about food and nutrition -- have used the same tips as many of the featured chefs to cultivate my own good eater. So the recipes are good and, at least in my experience, the advice from the chefs is tried and true. I even picked up a few more ideas to use on my two year old, who is following in her sister's footsteps to becoming a good eater.
on February 23, 2012
What Chefs Feed Their Kids is beautifully formatted. I bought a copy for my son-in-law who is a chemist/
chef and wonderful father to a precious 16 month old baby girl. He will be teaching her how to cook just
as soon as appropriate ... meanwhile, he and my daughter introduce this baby to all sorts of flavors and
textures through different foods. I bought this first copy at the restaurant where the author had a book
signing. I liked it so much, I bought copy for myself so we can share experiences as we make fun meals
our family (we live in different states).