5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-leveled book
Published on April 10, 2009 by M. Brennan

1.0 out of 5 stars What was National Geographic thinking?
This book is an insult to Darwin and the children it was meant to educate and entertain. It's graphically unsettling, with a mishmash of goofy illustrations and incomplete information. The text is heavy with Darwin quotes, but the brilliant and personal insights are positioned next to anthropomorphized drawings of animals. [i.e. "This is the only butterfly I have seen...
Published on March 30, 2009 by Darwinophile

5.0 out of 5 stars Multi-leveled book, April 10, 2009
This review is from: What Darwin Saw: The Journey That Changed the World (Hardcover)
I like books that can be read on many levels, that pack a lot of information into a manageable format, books in which new things can be found each time a reader returns to it. WHAT DARWIN SAW is one of those books. Not only is a great deal of information presented in an engaging format, but respect for both subject and reader are evident in the way the book was researched - both text and illustrations. I also appreciate the notes on just how the author/illustrator went about doing her research. It says a lot about how she approaches her work. (And there's a neat personal connection to Darwin which makes it all the more intriguing.) So, just in time for the anniversary of Darwin's 200th birthday - and to get a handle on his contributions for the next generation, this book is highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Through Darwin's Eyes, April 11, 2009
Simon Says (Cincinnati, Ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This book has been a great addition, not only for my home library, but also my school library. I became interested in finding "easy to understand" books about Darwin for children, knowing that there would be a lot of renewed interest in Darwin with the 200 anniversary celebrations. I was incredibly impressed by this non-ficton picture book. Not only are the illustrations beautiful, it is filled with scientific details, snippets from Darwin's journals and letters, and notes of explaination. It is a book that can be read over and over again, finding new things everytime. Darwin becomes human in this book and a great role model. This is one of the most interesting books I have purchased for my school. It was wonderful watching the children pour over its pages and discuss all of Darwin's adventures. I definately recommend this informative book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating, exquisitely illustrated chronicle, February 13, 2009
This book is an extremely well-researched and exquisitely illustrated account of Darwin's voyage; in short, it is intelligently designed. The writer-illustrator's colorful and minutely detailed drawings make it easy for the reader to climb aboard the Beagle and experience the voyage vicariously. As an adult nearing senior citizen status, I highly recommend this book to young readers, their parents, their grandparents, and science students of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and Inspiring!, April 13, 2009
This book is so beautifully illustrated that even the very lowest level readers in my classroom were interested and became captivated in turning the pages to see what was next. The format of the information makes it easily accessible for all levels of young people. I found it easy to incorporate into the evolution unit of studies, and serves as a wonderful enrichment activity/sharing opportunity as students can easily find favorite sections or information that is new to them. It is well researched and reveals information not easily found in typical Darwin books. Even the most informed teens and adults can learn something new from this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for kids!, February 14, 2010
Another awesome book I bought for my 8 year old. She gets enough fundamentalist teaching at her mom's so I wanted her to have some science teaching from me and this among other books does the trick!

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn With Your Grandchildren, March 9, 2009
What a great book to enjoy with your grandchildren! The bright, colorful
cover of What Darwin Saw instantly attracted my attention from among a
group of books featured on Darwin's 200th birthday in my neighborhood
bookstore. I thought it would be a perfect introduction to Darwin for my
grandson, who is already very interested in science. I was correct.
My 10-year old-grandson was fascinated, but it turned out that I enjoyed
the book as much as he did! The story, which includes plenty of amazing
excerpts directly from Darwin's own diary, taught me much about Darwin
too. The engaging drawings are brilliantly colored and appealing.
While the animals, fish and bugs are very accurately represented, they
also have their own facial expressions and reactions that help tell
the story. If you want to have a memorable time with your child or
grandchild while learning some intriguing things yourself, get this
delightful and informative book and have fun learning about Darwin
together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Teaching tool!!, April 13, 2009
As a Fairfax County teacher, our curriculum includes Darwin and his travels. We used this book this year and had great sucess. The students used the fantastic accounts of his adventures and the detailed pictures to paint a picture in their minds. They all loved the story and learned so much!

5.0 out of 5 stars That was enjoyable 45 minutes, March 27, 2011
I got this book for our homeschool history lesson and I was very pleased at how eye-grabbing but clear the illustrations were, the careful dating, the map (gosh more books need maps!), and the upshot of it all. It makes both of us want to find out more. The only thing lacking was a good paragraph on WHY his idea would upset so many people, but I think it omitted to appear PC about religions. A very minor lack. This book is FULL of great words, quotes, events, and animals. My 8 year old hung on every page.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, January 19, 2014
We first saw this book on a cruise to the Galapagos in their library. Although it is listed as a children's book we bought it for ourselves. Every page has notes from Darwin of what he observed and what he did. Every other book we had found before we left was extremely technical or detailed. Fun to pick up and look through.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love the idea of this book, June 17, 2013
Nudge (st. louis, missouri, usa) - See all my reviews
This book has lots of illustrations, but for some reason it feels kind of awkward to read (to me.) It gives a lot of facts and uses Darwin's journal entries, so it's above my 5-year old's comprehension level. Older kids might love it though.

What Darwin Saw: The Journey That Changed the World
What Darwin Saw: The Journey That Changed the World by Rosalyn Schanzer (Hardcover - January 13, 2009)
Used & New from: $2.32