5.0 out of 5 stars What a Difference a Mom Makes
Boys will be boys--always. And no one has a more powerful impact on them than you, Mom.

Boys have three needs that they need you (their mom) to meet:

1. To be respected.
2. To be needed.
3. To be fulfilled.

And it is up to you to reach out to your son and to affirm in those areas. Your son wants to please you, and even though he...
Published 22 months ago by Lollipops

3.0 out of 5 stars Gender stereotypical
This book is okay, but I'm occasionally bothered by an underlying assumption that all boys are essentially the same. I've been around plenty long enough to watch and ponder how the men around me turned out. Where they found their place / what way of being was comfortable and right for them. There is much greater diversity in maleness than the author accounts for.
Published 10 months ago by D. Ladue

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, September 17, 2012
This is a must read for mothers with sons. I highly recommend any of Dr. Leman's books. He is very insightful and presents important things to know in a direct manner. He is also funny. Another fantastic book from Dr. Leman!

3.0 out of 5 stars Gender stereotypical, September 22, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical wisdom, October 10, 2012
This review is from: What a Difference a Mom Makes: The Indelible Imprint a Mom Leaves on Her Son's Life (Hardcover)
Dr. Leman provides practical wisdom for raising boys that translates well into day-to-day life. It is consistent with the parenting principles presented in the Bible and offers many real-life examples from a lifetime of observing and studying people. My son isn't yet 2, so I'm just starting to apply what I've learned...but I've found I understand my husband better, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book for Moms of Boys!, September 15, 2012
Of all the people in the world, you, Mom,
make the biggest difference in your son's world.
- Dr. Kevin Leman

I am always looking for books geared towards moms of boys. With 3 sons of my own, I am always wanting to learn more about mothering my boys and was so glad to find What a Difference a Mom Makes by Dr. Kevin Leman.

In this book he shares valuable insight and advice on the stages of boys from babyhood to college. He talks about topics from discipline to sexuality and how to navigate the changes in the relationship between mother and son along the way.

My favorite part of the book is when Dr. Leman shares
what our boys need most from us as moms.

He needs to be respected.
He needs to be needed.
He needs to be fulfilled as a man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every mom with a son needs this book!, September 8, 2012
Athena Hall "mama2six" (Somewhere in the middle of Montana) - See all my reviews
If you have never read anything by Kevin Leman, you are missing out! Not only does he give great advice, he is incredibly funny and makes reading his books a joy. I have had the pleasure of seeing him live and he talks just like he writes, he is real and not afraid to share his own mistakes and you can hear his heart and passion for families.

Wow. What a great book. Very impacting and maybe stuff I already know (to a point), but have ignored (because it is easier) or needed encouragement to implement. I really enjoyed how the chapters were broken down and covered everything from birth order, sex and even how I as a mom allow myself to be treated. There is a lot of material covered in this book and honestly, it will be read again as I try to digest it all. I really wish I would have had it earlier - since my son is 12 years old. Thank you Dr. Leman!

I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book for review purposes. The opinions expressed are all mine and I was not required to give a positive review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for moms!, September 8, 2012
While boys needs dads involved in their lives, they need moms just as much! Dr. Kevin Leman's latest book discusses just that! "What a Difference a Mom Makes," is a book that every mother whom has a son should pick up and read; not just read through once, but keep nearby to go to and spend a few moments in ever so often as a reminder of just how important she is in her son's life.

This book is divided into several chapters each addressing a specific area. A few of the chapters include discussing one's parenting style overall and what has influenced and played into developing that parenting style, discipline techniques, and juggling and balancing all of the demands and responsibilities in a mother's life. Each chapter is further divided into sections with headings, making this book really easy to pick up and read a specific section and also easy to get as much as possible out of the book.

I really enjoyed reading this book! To me it is very practical and thought-provoking. Several points I have thought much about after reading through this and it is a book that I will refer to back many times I am sure. Leman writes in a way that is easy to follow and understand and he is "talking" with me; overall his style of writing is enjoyable and understandable. I highly recommend this book for all mothers whom have a boy of their own!

"Available September 2012 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group."

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Good Advice for Moms, September 3, 2012
There are plenty of good books out there for fathers and how to be better dads to your sons. This is a nice addition for mothers of boys.

Dr. Leman is known for his "Have a New Kid/Husband/You by Friday" books. So it is good to see the kind of impact mothers have on their sons.

Within twelve chapters, Dr. Leman tackles issues of why boys need a good dose of femininity (without wearing skirts), planning for his wedding while he's a toddler (raising a boy who will be a great father & husband), determining what kind of mother you are and what your parenting style is, learning about discipline that works, helping him treat women correctly.

All of these chapters have value to them. My biggest issue came during the "sex" chapter. I'm a little uncomfortable with mom talking to sons about how boys make girls feel or referring to certain body parts as "Mr. Happy". Seriously? I understand that Dr. Leman is also a humorist but really, I would have freaked out if my mom talked to me that way.

There's no question that mothers play an incredible role in the upbringing of children, especially boys. No one questions that reality.

This book is great on helping moms deal with sibling rivalry, understanding sons during their teenage years and how to continue to be an influence in their lives well after they've left the house.

This book was provided for review, at no cost, by Revell Publishing.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book!, October 11, 2012
I really enjoy reading Dr. Leman's books, and this one is no exception.
What a Difference a Mom Makes had me laughing one minute and crying the next.

Some of the things you'll find in this book are:
-Some great tips on how to discipline
-You'll learn just how important you really are in your son's life
-How much influence you really have
-How what you say and do really does matter to your son
-How you must treat your boys differently because they are different
-The 3 things that matter most in your son's life
-What your firstborn, middleborn, and lastborn need
-What you can do

He also brakes it down from ages:
-From Infant and Toddler to Early School Age
-From Middle School to High School
And my favorite:
-Top 10 Countdown to Being an Awesome Mom

This is a great book!
I'm really glad I bought it. : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside a Boys Mind, September 17, 2012
I grew up with a sister and NO idea how different boys were. My son is 7 now, but reading this book explains SO MUCH about the past seven years. I've learned my son is a normal, healthy boy. It's like seeing into his mind! This book has been such a help, and I'm sure I will refer to it many times over the next ten years! Thank you Dr. Leman!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Leman hits another home run, September 10, 2012
This is another great book by Dr. Leman! A home run for sure. I have always loved his insight and am so grateful that he wrote this book. It has helped me diffuse situations with my son that have been problematic. It has caused me to look at my own failures as a parent and not give up hope, but to address them with my son. I am seeing some healing in our relationship already.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›