Published on February 29, 2012 by Dr Kristi Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars Too technical
Over the top in advocating supplements that are not FDA regulated or that have valid studies supporting their value.
Exercise section is designed for very serious athletes and not for the common person.
Do not recommend. Heart 411 by Marc Gillinov is definitely a much better book.
Published 13 months ago by Michael Floyd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Houston has done it again-another patient friendly resources for all, February 29, 2012
This review is from: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Heart Disease (Paperback)
I have the privilege of working very closely with Dr Houston as one of our lead faculty at the Institute for Functional Medicine, and I am extremely impressed with his new book "lifting up the hood" to truly reveal why patients develop endothelial dysfunction and what they can do about it. I have been recommending this book to my patients and health care providers who all rave about the way in which Mark is able to explain complicated processes In the body. His skills in communication, along with his expertise in this subject matter, make this book a must read if you have Heart Disease, a family history of cardiovascular concerns, weight control issues, hypertension, and want to take charge of your own health to change your trajectory away from the development of chronic disease.

5.0 out of 5 stars What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Heart Disease [Kindle Edition] Mark Houston (Author), February 27, 2012
An excellent book for people of all ages to use who wants to prevent heart disease and living a healthy lifestyle
This book tells what is the underlining cause of heart disease. Dr Houston indicates that high cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease. The book explain how the heart when weaken by our lifestyle of poor diet and lack of exercise and stress contribute to heart disease. He provide his own formula of diet which is between a Mediterranean and a DASH diet and supplements to reduce inflammation and enhance your energy with proper nutrients. He also indicate what type of exercise to do which is both resistance and aerobic exercise to burn the fat and strengthen the artery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, November 17, 2013
Excellent book! After suffering a heart attack two years ago now, I was curious why it happened to me. I've been researching material, because pretty much all my doctors told me were to reduce my cholesterol and take a bunch of drugs. Cholesterol is not the dominant cause of clogged arteries that doctors make it out to be, although it is a factor. What they don't tell you are all of the other factors that are FAR MORE SIGNIFICANT -- namely the nutritional roots of the disease. If you ask your doctor, "What is the REAL cause of heart attacks", they might reluctantly admit it's arterial inflammation, which is the main cause of plaque buildup. What they won't admit is that the real reason statins have any noticeable benefit is because they're powerful anti-inflammatories; the reduction in cholesterol is modest at best. (If there's no inflammation going on, then there's no reason cholesterols in our blood should cause plaque buildup. With lots of inflammation going on, then reducing blood cholesterol levels sort of makes sense in a backwards kind of way. The truth is, ARTERIAL INFLAMMATION is the thing we want to be controlling, not cholesterol levels.) Unfortunately, they won't tell you about the damaging side-effects that statins cause. And they also won't tell you that the most significant cause of arterial inflammation for most people today revolves around our diets. Why? Perhaps because they have virtually no training in nutrition, and drug companies aren't funding research into how our diets are affecting our health. Read the book to learn more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful guide for heart patients., March 1, 2012
This is a great companion to Dr. Houston's earlier hypertension book. It helps patients to understand why heart disease occurs, and how to prevent further heart damage. Some of the risk factors, such as high blood pressure, are well known, but the role of inflammation is entirely new to me, and none of my doctors had ever addressed this. The lifestyle changes that Dr. Houston discusses have specific rationales, and by incorporating these regimens, I hope to continue to improve my health. And I really enjoy the Salmon Taco recipe, part of my commitment to eat more fish!

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Truth Behind Coronary Illnesses and How You Can Fight Them", March 8, 2012
Dr. M. Houston helps us to understand what is a cardiovascular disease, how can we prevent it, and shows treatments and guidelines via lifestyle changes like: diet modification, nutrition, supplements, exercise and a lot more by supporting all information with medical reviews and newest researches of the relevant science.
I read this book twice plus I use it as a guide for helping my patients with cardiovascular disease on daily basis. If you follow Dr. Houston's suggestions and guidelines from his book -you can see a BIG difference in your and your patients health.
It is must read not only for medical professionals but any lay person. It is very easy to follow and understand plus at the end of the book Dr. Houston put appendixes and 'practical approaches' for health professionals and interested laypeople. I highly recommend this book as a MUST READ for everybody at any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it, March 8, 2012
Good book - highly recommended - I'm not a reader - but my Pharmacist wife insisted I read it - so I did - it was informative & easy to understand and follow .......I'm feeling better already - learn to live healthier and feel better .......read the book ....

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, July 10, 2012
Mark Houston MD is recognized as one of our nation's thought-leaders and an authority on this topic, and I decided to read this interesting title.

In a nutshell, it's quite easy to understand what he is explaining, i.e. that your doctor's status quo attitude toward heart disease and prevention may be erroneous and perhaps even dangerous.

If you were to just read the introduction, you're surely going to begin to look at heart disease in a new light. The entire book discusses the real causes of heart disease, and what preventive measures to consider.

Thank you Dr. Houston for taking on this topic and presenting it in such a way that we can help ourselves find optimal heart health, and ask our primary care docs better questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most up to date book concerning heart diseases, and much more., March 29, 2013
I ordered this book as soon as I discovered its existence, as I during my life have seen how for example the ideas concerning cholesterol, and heart attacks, have changed. As Houston tells in the book, when we started looking at cholesterol, we only measured the total number for cholesterol - I still have a hospital report from way back in the year 1975, which only tells what my total cholesterol number is - and then next came the measuring of the total plus LDL and HDL, and later followed with including of other parts, and then still later with different variants for all the parts.

And actual I during 4 years have been fighting with the doctors, who still, in the hospitals, only are looking at the cholesterols as "Total not higher than 200, and the HDL not higher than 50". And therefore wanted to put my wife on ducks as she were having a HDL on 114.

In the start of the book, in the chapter 1, we are getting the newest knowledge, and speculations, concerning the arterial, in the connection to the probability of getting a heart attack. And this especially connected to either an intima endothelium (the inside surface in the arterials (shown in drawing)), or as a storing grown up on the inside of an arterial, under a fibrous cap (also shown in drawing). And where the grown up storing later can loosen and travel to the heart or the brain.

And in the start of the book we also are getting some interesting patient cases. For example under the chapter 5, in which we are learning about cholesterol, we on the side 66 have two patients who both are having the "healthy" LDL level on only 100 mg/dL, but even though one of them getting a mild heart attack. The reason being that they were having different kinds of LDL, respective small and large LDL particles, and then the person actual having the small particles was hit by the heart attack.

The book also is very detailed in what it's best to eat, among other we are learning not to eat too much bread. And it is very detailed in a plan for gymnastic-training, and in explaining why having the different connected kind of training. And what to eat (very little), and drink before training in the morning.

And on the side 253 starts the Appendix VI, with 13 interesting # Attack Plans, for fighting different actual health problems, with the recipes containing vitamins, minerals, fibers, and so on. I will write down the Attack Plan #11: To Lower Blood Sugar, to a friend of mine, who is close to starting being a diabetic person.

It's an excellent book with many details, and good explanation to why the science now have come to be looking at the heart diseases, and many other health problem, the way they are. I will advise, or lend, this book to the doctors which I soon am meeting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful info, December 27, 2012
The vasoguard supplements he recommends did not work for me in lowering blood pressure. That's about 24 pills a day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doctor Rcommended Reading, February 26, 2014
My Doctor recommended that I read this book for my health. The information is a little complex but necessary to understand heart health problems. Much of heart disease could be prevented if we followed the advice in this book. I recommend all adults read this book to get healthy or stay healthy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Heart Disease
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Heart Disease by Mark C. Houston (Paperback - February 6, 2012)
$15.00 $12.46